The Tip-Rolling/IEM Modification Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #46 of 72
This was an interesting post (below).

Here's my humble 2c on this, the (Japanese) SpinFits I've tested have a constriction at the joint that works like a reverse horn - hence the earlier roll-off in upper treble and overall slight attenuation in treble. Provided you get a perfect seal, mind you... since their silicone is extremely thin and tends to warp easily. Because of that, especially those who need larger sized tips may encounter a slightly leaky seal and as a result attenuated bass (comparable to the SHE3590 tips imo, which some report as being bass-light or "adding air").

A lot of measurements floating around the internet will compare the effects of tips on a given IEM. Something that might have been of interest to tip-rollers, would be an index of measurements based on a large range of eartips, bundled and aftermarket, and the general effects they have on sound and isolation. They would probably be done over a set of well-known IEMs, based on the nozzle diameter. I do have a coupler already. Could get a Veritas if people wanted results that were reproducible with something that other people could readily get. As long as the results are comparable, accuracy might not be the biggest priority.

That being said, I don't have many tips from more recent offerings, and I'm not really buying many IEMs these days anyways. It's a fun idea though.

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #47 of 72
Anyone know if the Ortofon ear tips currently on Massdrop is worth it? Have had good experience with other premium priced tips like Spiral Dots, Spinfits and Comply, but never tried Ortofon.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #48 of 72
Are they so much cheaper on MD ? Ortofon sells them directly in/from EU and they do also sell it in Norway: http://www.ortofon.com/where-to-buy

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #50 of 72
I think it is easy for You to call straight to dealer shop (there are 6 in Norway- 3 in Oslo) and ask if they could send it with small packet letter.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #52 of 72
Anyone tried those foam tips with silicone inner tube?: http://acscustom.com/uk/product/universal-pu-foam-ear-tips/

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #53 of 72
Don't know exactly where to post so I'll be asking here since it seems right.

Anyway, I have an Audiotechnica IM02 which I have been using for 2 months. For the past 3 years I have been using the IM70 and Comply Isolation eartips. I love my Comply, so comfy!

Initially, I thought the IM02 has NO low end. I discovered that I have to push the IM02 really tight down the ear canal to appreciate the bass. The IM02 has a short nozzle and it doesn't sit quite as deep as I want. It uses Comply T500 and I find that I am ripping through them so fast because of the extra force I have to use to keep them in deeper.

Is there a way to elongate the nozzle on the earpiece? Or are there tips that are longer and can provide great isolation? Would getting a Large-sized Comply Isolation tip help? I am worried to go back to silicone tips since I felt they were so uncomfortable with inadequate isolation, but I think they are the only ones that can provide the extra length I need. Either way, I don't know any other tip that would fit the IM02.

Thank you so much!

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #54 of 72
@happysappy
The only way I know of to increase the length of an IEM nozzle, is to use the core of a foam tip with a tip meant for small bores inside it.
The plastic core effectively acts like an adapter, but also moves the earpiece a bit further away from one's ear.
I did this with the red/gray Huast tips on an old pair of LG QuadBeat, and it worked well for a while, but wasn't particularly comfortable.
​I also tried this with a pair of medium Klipsch tips with similar results.

​Also, have you tried any of the cheaper foam tips that aren't made by Comply?

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #55 of 72
Alright, after trying a large number of tips, I've settled on the extra small "Sennheiser CX 2.00" tips as being the best fit for my ears and the RE-400.
​The tips look more like straight tubes than the typical tips which have curved sides, feel a bit firmer than other small tips I can find, and are less than 10mm wide.

​Unless I find something better, I'll be ordering another pair from here: http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/portable-headphones/cx-200i-black

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #56 of 72
They seem pretty typical tips to me according to pic
rolleyes.gif
 Have many of similar tips from cheapo chinese IEMs.
Could You post a real pic of them, maybe I`m looking at wrong tips?

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #57 of 72
They seem pretty typical tips to me according to pic:rolleyes:  Have many of similar tips from cheapo chinese IEMs.
Could You post a real pic of them, maybe I`m looking at wrong tips?

The wide bores with small bump in the sleeve,like a ring.......

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #58 of 72
​@CoiL
I think you can safely ignore the pictures on that page. I still haven't received anything similar with any of the other headphones I've bought.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #59 of 72
Hey folks,

I've got a pretty basic question about fit. I've been using JVC FXT90s for a few years. I like 'em alright--likely upgrading soon, but that's beside the point.

I've been using the medium stock tips. They seal correctly, but I find the left iem slips out easily when I'm moving around--I have to keep pushing it back in every few minutes. Conversely, the tip of the right one often gets stuck in my ear when I'm removing it.

Both ears get a bit sore after about two hours of use.

I'm looking at trying out Spiral Dot tips and wondering whether I should size up to ML or down to SM? I can't really tell whether the left ear slips out because it's too big or not big enough! Help... me...?

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #60 of 72
I have been using Spinfit (small bore) for Phonak PFE.  This has been the best tip upgrade for me (and the sound is more clear and punchier than other tips that I tried including foam and monster gel tips).  Monster tips have been painful to use after some time and would not recommend.  The isolation is also better.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back