The things head-fi does to you...
Jul 14, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #31 of 35
head-fi did the following:

gave me headphone-hair (and it looks weird with the A900's)
redlined my wallet (and could break the tachometer later on)
forced me to get more music (because audio quality is an addiction)
Forced an interesting speaker purchase to compliment the cans
and um... yeah.

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #32 of 35
head-fi has done a lot of good things, and a lot of not-so-good things....but not horribly bad things. off of the top of my head, here are some of the positive things.....

POSITIVES
-i've meet some really great people.
-the community feeling i get from here makes it feel as if i always have a ton of wonderful people behind me, backing me up in life.
-hanging out on this website is just plain fun. addicting, but damn fun. it is heads and shoulders above (in quality, maturity, wealth of knowledge, etc.) almost all other sites on the net.
-i've built a shrine in my room dedicated to listening to music, which helps relieve stress and all sorts of other things in life. it works along the same lines as meditation does...for me at least.
-i've become infinitely more interested in the actual gear that plays my music and how it works. it is just one small part of the gigantic whole containing this hobby.
-going to the meets are one of the funnest things ever. not only do you get to listen to the gear of your dreams, but you get to chat with people of whom you have a lot in common with in real life. there's nothing better than being able to cut through all the bull-crap, small talk with people to get into the things we all love and care about.
-this hobby keeps me away from the sometimes bad things in life. i (we all)could be doing a lot worse.
-upgrading can be a bad thing with regards to certain aspects. but it can be a good thing because it teaches you a lot more about the technicalities of this hobby, which in turn can lead to better, more informed decisions in the future. not only that, but the knowledge you gain from experience (positive and negative) can be passed from member to member, alleviating potential stresses for them.
-with the exploration of more gear and audio stuff, i have increased my exploration in music as a whole. now, rock is not the only genre i like anymore. i've now delved into every sort of world, cultural music possible...everything from traditional indian music, to asain underground music, to even some country music. it has truely opened my eyes to whole new universe!
-i have a new appreciation to what musicians do and how they do it. hearing what they do in an almost true form makes one realize how skilled one has to be in order to create, play, and deliver the right kind of music.
-i know for a fact that there are many, MANY more reasons to list. but you all get the idea. this place has led to many amazing/wonderful/fantastic/brilliant things!! and i'm more than glad just to be a part of it!

NEGATIVES
-sure the wallet gets drained and thins up like a supermodel on a diet, but what else should i spend it on? if not this, it would be something else.
-sometimes i do get carried away and forget about other things like, sleeping, eating, work, homework, social life, life in general, and so on.
-similar to the above statement...i do get lazy, especially after listening to some soothing music after a 4 hour listening session. and when i become lazy, i procrastinate. like the time i waited to the last minute to sign up for school courses. yeah, i ended up skipping that semester!
rolleyes.gif

-because of the sometimes pricey gear, i am forced to work more than normal. but again, to me, it's more than worth it.
-i do sometimes (only sometimes) find it hard to listen to other peoples 20$ headphone systems, or 60$ bookshelve systems because of the poor quality. but, at the same time, that could turn into a positive because i could let them in on how much more potentially enjoyable a good sounding system might be able to add to their listening experiences. but some people would like to purposely remain blissfully ignorant. and that is in NO WAY a bad thing! i sometimes wish i was still there.
-again, there are others to list...a lot more. but i strongly believe (and most would agree), that the positives FAAAAAAAAAR outweigh the negatives.

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #33 of 35
I sure do spend a lot of time here. I have learned an incredible amount about audio equipment and have gotten sound quality from my system that is better than I could have ever imagined for something I'd actually own. Of course I never anticipated buying over a grand worth of audio gear when I first came here and I've gotten off easier than many folks here in the money department. I also never thought I'd have this many posts here, how I got over 1,700 posts is beyond me since I really don't think I post that often. Head-Fi is much more than just another bulletin board, no other community I've been to offers the true community feeling here and when I'm here I feel like I'm talking to neighbors, not strangers that may be halfway around the world. This place more than any other has made me realize that there are people behind the posts.

Jul 15, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I sure do spend a lot of time here. I have learned an incredible amount about audio equipment and have gotten sound quality from my system that is better than I could have ever imagined for something I'd actually own. Of course I never anticipated buying over a grand worth of audio gear when I first came here and I've gotten off easier than many folks here in the money department. I also never thought I'd have this many posts here, how I got over 1,700 posts is beyond me since I really don't think I post that often. Head-Fi is much more than just another bulletin board, no other community I've been to offers the true community feeling here and when I'm here I feel like I'm talking to neighbors, not strangers that may be halfway around the world. This place more than any other has made me realize that there are people behind the posts.

Nice summary of the Head-Fi experience. Time and money disappear at an alarming rate, and we are enriched by the experience. The Head-Fi Paradox!
lambda.gif

Thanks.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back