The Tales of Voluntary Electricutions
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Tomo

DIY tube amps can be SHOCKING
Hey,

Just yesterday, ...

I was tracking down buzz on my amp. I had my "real" work on my desk, so I was working on my amp on the floor. So by 3AM, my neck was stiff and my back was hurting. And, apparently, my brain was a doodoo.

I knew it was coming from AC, but didn't know where. I didn't know crap so I decided to tape down floating AC wire. This wasn't so bad idea till I started to fiddle near tranny. For some odd reason, I had this pure desire to fundle the electrodes of the tranny.

It wasn't all so bad when I was playing with secondary. Once I was satisified fundling secondary, I somehow felt safe enough to "grab" the primary. Perhaps to check if it is OK? I have no idea. I just stood there feeling excited. Pain didn't registered for a good long time till I realized I am touching AC.

Kinda interesting. Does being sleep-deprived effect the way you feel when you get electricuted?

T

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 36
Nothing like a nice tingling sensation to wake you up though.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 36
mine wasn't voluntary but very silly of me

i had just finished re-soldering the AC wires on my heed canamp and put the plastic sleeving over to cover it up, but there was a single strand of the wire i didn't notice popping out

and while the power was plugged in, i ran my fingers along the cable to make sure it was secure and got a shock lol thankfully other hand was on case (grounded) and i let go, could have ended worse though

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing like a nice tingling sensation to wake you up though.

Better than a cup of coffee at 6am!!!
biggrin.gif

I've been electricuted so many times that 120V doesn't even phase me anymore. 200Vdc across a finger will grab your attention though
frown.gif

The worse I've ever been hit with is 208 from hand to hand. That gave me a headache for the rest of the day.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 36
Back when I used to do construction, we used to have contests to see who could flip the breaker without letting go of the 120V lines. That was fun!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Please do NOT go and do this! I am not responsible for your actions or death.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 36
I once rolled out of bed, picked up a 9v battery and taught it a good idea to stick it on my tongue.

Had some fun recently at a friend's place with a spark plug from a boiler.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 36
Try touching a spark plug when your car is running. YYOWW.

P.S. Don't really try this. A car battery can pack a lot of current and really hurt you if not kill you.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

P.S. Don't really try this. A car battery can pack a lot of current and really hurt you if not kill you.

It's not the current that'll kill you, it's the voltage.
wink.gif

We screw with all the newbies here at work that think a 12V-1000A rectifier can kill you. when it's running at full balls, a couple guys will make a bet who can hold on to the output terminals the longest. One guy will lick his hands and slap them to the terminals and start shaking and everything (faking it of course)! You should see the look on the new guys face!!!
eek.gif
12V won't do anything through the body...across the tongue yes, but not though the body.
wink.gif

...don't try this though, I am a professional.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 36
There is an online textbook called Lessons in Electric Circuits that has a lot to say about electrocution.

Since you were not killed I believe the lesson is not to do dangerous work when sleep deprived if anyway avoidable.

Have fun. I hope you didn't fry any neurons.

F

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 36
it's also about duration of the shock
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 36
Its the current that will kill. Luckily the body has a high resistance unless you stand in water or something.I am a tech and have always been told that less than 1 amp can kill. Actually less than half of an amp.A car battery can produce a lot of amperage in order to start a car. That is where the danger lies.You need to use OHMS law. E=I*R. If you have a high enough voltage you can produce a lot of current thru a small resistance etc..I suppose 12 volts thru body resistance would not produce much current.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Its the current that will kill. Luckily the body has a high resistance unless you stand in water or something.I am a tech and have always been told that less than 1 amp can kill. Actually less than half of an amp.A car battery can produce a lot of amperage in order to start a car. That is where the danger lies.You need to use OHMS law. E=I*R. If you have a high enough voltage you can produce a lot of current thru a small resistance etc..I suppose 12 volts thru body resistance would not produce much current.

Just a few mA through the wrong path can kill you. I've heard as little as 10mA through the heart at the wrong time can be fatal. Of course, you can also survive shocks of many amperes (with severe burns at entry/exit points of course) if they avoid vital organs and the nervous system. Just avoid shocking yourself
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the current that'll kill you, it's the voltage.
wink.gif

We screw with all the newbies here at work that think a 12V-1000A rectifier can kill you. when it's running at full balls, a couple guys will make a bet who can hold on to the output terminals the longest. One guy will lick his hands and slap them to the terminals and start shaking and everything (faking it of course)! You should see the look on the new guys face!!!
eek.gif
12V won't do anything through the body...across the tongue yes, but not though the body.
wink.gif

...don't try this though, I am a professional.

The 12V-1000A doesn't kill you because It doesn't has enough voltage to
break the resistance in your body. But for the 110V it's enough to let the
current pass through your body even 10A can kill you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back