The TakeT H2 Thread
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Duggeh

Indeed
There isn't a huge amount on head-fi related to these headphones, certainly not compared to most, but I thought that it would be good to accumulate an index of links to threads related to them in the past and perhaps contain conversation from owners, interested parties and anyone who enjoys banter within one thread for the purposes of neatness. It's better to have small amounts of information in one place rather than scattered I think.

Related Past threads:

Driving the TakeT H2. (Biggest previous thread)

An Afternoon at Duggehs.
My Original Review.
Initial impressions of the Taket H2 + TR2.
TakeT H2 Impressions.
What is this? A Head-Fi first? (The TakeT H2).
TakeT H2 mod.
October 2007 UK Meet Impressions Thread.
Driving TakeT and k1000 with KGSS, possible?
Are TakeT's keeping their fascination?
Re-cabling TakeT, any advise?
My Balanced TakeT H2 and TR2. (Vs. ED9) Tons of pics.
Removing TakeT H2's overwhelming bass, great sounding. (Apuresound Recable)

There are also a smattering of posts in the Orthodynamic Roundup and The Stax Thread (new) which mention the TakeT in some manner or another.
__________________________________________________ __________

To move things forward. I have been cautiously experimenting with running the H2 direct drive from the Stax SRM-717. Initially using an adapter and just recently, with a Stax recable. Sound is for my preferences, overall better than with the transformer, much cleaner and the bass goes a little deeper and plays more neatly before it rolls off. The cable replacement was also benefitial towards this end.

The 717 though lacks by an order of magnitude the current output which is really needed for the headphones and also has too much voltage. Here I read into comments made by Spritzer on seeing photos of the inside. There is a capacitor inside which acts as a filter for the supertweeter driver, but which is rated for 250v, which is less than the 717 is rated for, replacement with one of higher value might be a good idea.

More on this investigation as it unfolds of course. I am in no way currently advocating the use of a Stax amp instead of the transformer. Not until those with greater brains than mine can do what maths they are able and offer more definitive word on the safety for the headphones and the amp.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 39
I just wanted to add that while the TakeT can run of something like the Blue Hawaii it isn't really optimized for the load. The TakeT doesn't need all the voltage swing (it has a maximum of roughly 200v) the BH can muster but they also require more current. Dr. Gilmore did design a different output stage for the KGSS amp for the TakeT but it has never been built AFAIK. It would pose some challenges due to the Class A output stage and the considerable heat it gives off though...

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 39
Really nice summary thread!
biggrin.gif

...and some really great work behind those links.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 39
You'd need 2 of the things of course. For $120,000 one could have one of every top headphone and an accompanying amp for each.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 39
I know Kevin Gilmore designed an amp for the H2, but AFAIK it hasn't yet been built. There's also a Japanese integrated amp called the Alio CP-1 (I think) that has been designed to drive the H2 directly in addition to everything else it does (linky), but I've never heard any feedback about it.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $120,000 one could have one of every top headphone and an accompanying amp for each.

Aw, c'mon! You're exaggerating a bit there, Doug. But just a bit...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max voltage swing of roughly 200v and a lot of current, so a Krell Master Reference should do the trick.
regular_smile .gif

What does "a lot of current" amount to?
wink.gif

My McCormack Power Drive DNA-1 Deluxe can output 150Wpc RMS into 8 ohms (21.8dBW) with output current of 50A peak per channel. Will it be able to driver them via transformer box adequatly?

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 39
I'm sure that KG can answer how much current they need but it's entirely up to the transformer whether or not it can utilize all the power an amp has to give. The stock transformers are supposed to be very undersized so that wouldn't make much of a difference but they could always be upgraded.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 39
I'm still waiting, patiently for dream amp to shine this miracle.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 39
I have bought the Taket H2 xlr few days ago, and I love them a lot!

I use the Pass INT-150 with Siltech Emperor speakers cable for it and the cans shines...

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting, patiently for dream amp to shine this miracle.

I'm wondering... these cans look A LOT like the Ergo AMTs. I'm guessing it's the same type of driver. Perhaps the Ergo Amp2 would be able to run them; it's doing a perfect job on the AMTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back