The t096z REVIEW & Appreciation - Torque's Flagship IEM
Oct 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #32 of 118
Country music
eek.gif

The mere mention almost made me leave the thread permanently!

I'm right there with the both of you.  I understand that technically country IS music and that it might even take a lot of talent to write/play it... But damn does it make my teeth grind and my brain wish I had an 'earlid' to close.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 118
A broad variety.

If you take a look at any of my reviews I have a select list of songs that I use to evaluate gear.

I don't consider the purple to be "smooth" as described but rather the most balanced sound of all the valves.

I found the red more balanced.  I still lean towards the Blue, but it might be because I like the added warmth it imparts to the mids; I definitely don't class myself as a bass head.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #35 of 118
Blue sure is easy to listen to!

Absolutely true.  I'd like to reiterate how much I enjoy the bass on the t096z (blue filter/bi-flange tip).  Much of the time when an IEM produces north of neutral bass my ears get fatigued.  I now believe this is likely due to the typical spike in mid-bass I hear with a large number of IEMs.  The t096z has excellent dynamics and when it digs down you're getting a more honest picture of the bass available in a song.  Listening to deep house I'm getting serious sub-bass rumble as well as clearly defined higher bass notes.  Very easy listening.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #36 of 118
I find the purple valve to be the best sounding valve by far for me.

The purple, I think, is the hardest to get used to and understand... and it's also one of favorites. 

When I find some time, I want to refine the purple and finish it in gold plating. I have some ideas in my head on how... Now, I just need to prototype it.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #40 of 118
Would the t096z be Ideal to use with a headphone tube amp? (Schiit Valhalla2?)

I don't own a tube amp and when I've listened to them in the past it was with near field speakers.  I've sure some will argue with me but I've found that IEMs are much less amp dependent than full sized headphones; they don't require the same amounts of power.  Currently I'm using an HRT Microstreamer and I'm very pleased with how it and the t096z pair up, there's no shortage of power or volume.  The t096z are not difficult to drive; I don't have an impedance number but I doubt it's unusually high.  Remember that this IEM can be paired with an iPhone (as indicated by the included microphone), anything above that is gravy.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #41 of 118
Thank you,
Well the specs say it's a 150ohm IEM, so isn't that more difficult to drive? It's also 80 or 90 dB of sensitivity? My IEM now is only 12 ohms
I don't own a tube amp and when I've listened to them in the past it was with near field speakers.  I've sure some will argue with me but I've found that IEMs are much less amp dependent than full sized headphones; they don't require the same amounts of power.  Currently I'm using an HRT Microstreamer and I'm very pleased with how it and the t096z pair up, there's no shortage of power or volume.  The t096z are not difficult to drive; I don't have an impedance number but I doubt it's unusually high.  Remember that this IEM can be paired with an iPhone (as indicated by the included microphone), anything above that is gravy.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #44 of 118
Ok, so it's not 150 ohms?

You got the specs straight from Torque.  This isn't a difficult to drive IEM.  Most are not.  Sometimes, especially with CIEMS containing multiple balanced armatures you have to be concerned with impedance, that's not an issue here.

Even paired with a Clip Zip the t096z plays at a decent volume.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 118
Thank you, So is it hi or lower ohms or low sensitivity that helps a IEM if I want to mainly use it with a tube amp? I like that you can change the filters and get more
You got the specs straight from Torque.  This isn't a difficult to drive IEM.  Most are not.  Sometimes, especially with CIEMS containing multiple balanced armatures you have to be concerned with impedance, that's not an issue here.

Even paired with a Clip Zip the t096z plays at a decent volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back