The Swiss Head-Fiers official census
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #212 of 592
Hi everyone,

I just had a coffee and a nice conversation with @TomKorn this afternoon at the Zurich main station.

Reason for this meeting was giving him back the Cayin C9 he sent me last week on loan. The C9 sounds as good as Tom is a nice guy. Very kind and professional individual. Thank you Tom for this opportunity, the interesting discussion about gears, music and life in general.

About the C9: Fantastic amp with lots of features. I love my current Romi Audio BX2+ amp and its natural yet precise sound. The C9, in tube and class A mode, via 4.4 HO, brings more warmth into play, but not at the cost of the detail retrieval. World class performance. In this very configuration, with my music library, it's maybe 3 - 5% better than the BX2+. Otherwise, I find the Romi equal or even superior (solid state and class AB mode being the less convincing configuration in the C9).

If I had the cash, I think I would buy the C9, just for these 3 -5% improvement. If someone here looks for an amp and have some $, put the C9 at the top of your shortlist...or ask Tom for a test at home :wink:

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #215 of 592
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #218 of 592
If I had the cash, I think I would buy the C9, just for these 3 -5% improvement. If someone here looks for an amp and have some $, put the C9 at the top of your shortlist...or ask Tom for a test at home :wink:
I really really wanted C9 when I was doing portable. So much so I almost blind bought it online. Having Tom offer a home listen, is amazing. You should all take the chance. @F700 how was the temperature while running A class on Tubes?

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #219 of 592
where are you guys from? would zurich be good? somebody knows a good and quiet place to meet? some quiet coffeeshop/bar?
Working in Zurich, living in the area also

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #220 of 592
I really really wanted C9 when I was doing portable. So much so I almost blind bought it online. Having Tom offer a home listen, is amazing. You should all take the chance. @F700 how was the temperature while running A class on Tubes?
Tbh, I did not touch the amp on the surface while listening. Still, I did not have the impression that the C9 was too hot or generating much heat.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #224 of 592
I've been using it for quite a while now. Naturally it gets warmer when constantly in tube mode. But you won't burn your hands. Transistor mode just a bit warm.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #225 of 592

Users who are viewing this thread

Back