The Summer meet is upon the Ohio head-fi'ers
Apr 3, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #61 of 70
I'd consider it.  I tried a couple 6N6Ps (I think, Ken, don't quote me, ya tube nerd!).  Thick and bloated comparatively.

Donald has said the circuit is optimized for the 6N30.  That's about all I know.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #62 of 70
Surely someone has tried these tubes in a Sonett? But a casual Google search reveals nothing....  So while they indeed may sound crummy, still it would be interesting to give them a try.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #63 of 70
It seems very rare anyone with a Sonett experimented all that much.

I think most of us bought it because we like the sound and all that, more than rolling lightbulbs in and out.

You're practically, Captain Lighbulb Roller.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #64 of 70
Ken, nice amp!!! I got some 6SN7 triple hole bad boys with some Glenn adapters for my WA6SE. I also just ordered a Brimar Rectifier to put the Sophia process to bed.

Would love to hear the Glenn amp

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #65 of 70
  It seems very rare anyone with a Sonett experimented all that much.

I think most of us bought it because we like the sound and all that, more than rolling lightbulbs in and out.

You're practically, Captain Lighbulb Roller.

Captain Lightbulb Roller? lol :)

For sure, since Donald designed the amp around the 6N30P, of course it sounds great with this tube. However, it is important to keep in mind that as a general rule, in order to make a profit, amplifier manufacturers have to design their amps around tubes that are plentiful and cheap in order to be able to sell amps with tubes at an affordable price, as well as to be able to procure and store enough spares for replacements. This is why so many manufactures use Chinese and Russian stock, as it is plentiful and cheap. Many quality American and European old-stock tubes are not cheap and plentiful, and thus are impractical for most manufacturers. However, some manufacturers have gotten around this problem by using quality old-stock tubes, cheap and plentiful, that no one else is using, such as the 6EW7 in the WA6SE.

So my thinking is that even though the Sonett was designed to use the 6N30P, it may well sound great with similar, but less common, old-stock tubes that were just too impractical for Donald to consider. A similar example is the Little Dot IV in that it was designed to use a pair of 6N30P as output tubes. In fact, the 6N30P-DR supertube is generally considered the holy grail in the Little Dot world. However, a number of folks have substituted 5687, and even 6SN7, and now prefer these tubes to their supertubes.

So it should be fun to try some different tubes and see how they perform in the Sonett. :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #67 of 70
Ken, nice amp!!! I got some 6SN7 triple hole bad boys with some Glenn adapters for my WA6SE. I also just ordered a Brimar Rectifier to put the Sophia process to bed.

Would love to hear the Glenn amp

How are you liking the bad boys? My current favorite 6SN7 is the short-bottle Sylvania 6SN7W. :) 

From everything I have read, the Brimar is superb, especially for the price. But unfortunately, it can't provide enough current for the Glenn, so I can't use it... 

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #68 of 70
The 6N30P draws more current than any of the tubes I would like to try, so it should be perfectly safe. But of course, if you are not comfortable with this, then we shouldn't....

And in fact, I think it might be a good idea to contact Donald and ask if these tubes -  5687, 7044 and E182CC - are safe to use with a simple pin-adapter.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #69 of 70
no big deal if you think it's all good.  I know a bit about electricity, just not that, final word, if ya know.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #70 of 70
Given that I have run these tubes, and the 6N30P, as a driver in my LD 1+ and in the Glenn, and LD IV owners have run them in place of 6N30P as output tubes, I am very sure they are safe. In my mind, the big question is how they will sound....

That said, we don't even know if or when or where the next meet will be.... Who knows? By the next meet, you may have a different amp. lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back