The Strongest IEM of all.
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
So my friend is an avid snowboarder. Heck I could even say he is addicted to snowboarding.
Of course, he listens to music while snowboarding, but he has proven that he constantly breaks them within a month or two.

Of course I call him on his incapabilty to take care of his earphones, but i do understand that it could be easily damaged through snowboarding.

So I thought that i'd ask on his behalf: What is the most durable IEM?

He's been using the cheap skullcandy in-ears so i doubt sound quality is a major issue. Also he's very stingy about his money, so cheaper is always better.

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 14
Panasonic HJE900.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 14
+1 for HJE900 from what I've read, nothing but raving about it's almost unmatched build quality. Perhaps beaten only by the CK10 but that's a bit more expensive. Maybe if you turn him onto higher end headphones than his skullcandies we'll find a new member on the forum... 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 14
HJE900 earpieces are nice, but I don't think any IEM cable (including HJE900) would survive any sort of snowboarding wear and tear or incidents. So he should definitely look to IEMs with detachable cables - but those can be more money.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Meh, I ran over a pair of CK-7's with a car and they didn't break.  Bloody titanium is pretty strong. Well that's not really true, but I did slam a car door on the wire (didn't break) and I've dropped/hit the earpiece too many times to count.  It's built like a military bunker.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
So my friend is an avid snowboarder. Heck I could even say he is addicted to snowboarding.
Of course, he listens to music while snowboarding, but he has proven that he constantly breaks them within a month or two.

Of course I call him on his incapabilty to take care of his earphones, but i do understand that it could be easily damaged through snowboarding.

So I thought that i'd ask on his behalf: What is the most durable IEM?

He's been using the cheap skullcandy in-ears so i doubt sound quality is a major issue. Also he's very stingy about his money, so cheaper is always better.

I would just go with a pair of cheapies honestly, nothing like skullcandy though, maybe if meelectronics sell phones in bulk while on discount

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Just to note... you can change the cable on the HJE900. they use a standard connector, from what i understand the sleek audio cables work well with them. I have had CK7 and HJE900. HJE900 blows them out of the water. 4 months and they still look new. Unless they fall out of his ear, I doubt they'll ever break

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
HJE900 earpieces are nice, but I don't think any IEM cable (including HJE900) would survive any sort of snowboarding wear and tear or incidents. So he should definitely look to IEMs with detachable cables - but those can be more money.

HJE900 have detachable cables.

It is also my understanding...and experience from trolling amazon...that the HJE900 have been discontinued and now command a ridiculous price.  My advice for your friend is to find a set that are easy to mod, ie take apart, and learn how to use a soldering iron.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah I know, I owned them :) (Sig)

But i see your point - I just read my comment again, and it does appear to contradict what I was trying to say, but I meant that HJE900 is a good option and he should try to consider the ones with detachable cables. 

Quote:
Quote:

HJE900 have detachable cables.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Fair enough, I admit I didn't read your sig so it would appear neither of us are infallible :wink: I also admit I haven't listened to the HJE900 so I don't know how they sound, but people seem to think they're great value (bang for buck) and they're extremely well made. I've yet to hear/see raving of an IEM more well built, aside from the CK10/100.

Honestly though, if the plan is to use the earphones under conditions that wreck earphones, you're going to wreck your earphones no matter how well they're made... so perhaps buying a bunch of whats cheapest is the best idea.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 14
meelec m9 has a really strong cable plus aluminum housing, I bought three pair, don't know why becouse the first pair is still in the same condition as the day I bought it, but about once every three months I think there's a discount on them and next time I will probally buy another pair
biggrin.gif

also I bought a pair for a friend once and his cable started to "unravel" after 3 months so I emailed meelec and they told me this was not a common problem and they sent a new pair for free in less than a week (I live in Holland) without having to send in the faulty pair.

so great service + great built quality + nice audio qualite for like 15$ i think, it's a no-brainer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back