The Strokes - Is This It
Nov 7, 2001 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

beavisclone

Head-Fier
Amazing album. Simplicity at its best. Every song is a gem. VERY rough recording, but that is part of the charm. You'd swear they just went in the studio for an hour and played. These guys are getting incredible hype and good reviews from the UK to the US. They have a video out for "Last Nite".

Nov 7, 2001 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Hear Hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 19
Agreed. The Strokes have been in my CD player for over a week straight... I'm hooked!

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 19
"Is This It" have been out in Europe for a couple of months. The US version dont contain the song "NYC cops" due to the WTC attack. Politiclly correct but not very rock'n'roll...

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 19
Damn now I gotta buy the UK version since that "New York City Cops" song is pretty good (just got the mp3). Oh well...

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 19
Has anyone heard this album on their rig? I have a feeling the cd just doesn't do justice to the band. I realize they're sorta an Indie band, so they didn't get tons of money to record it well. On the one hand, it adds a nice charm to the album, a gritty authenticity. On the other hand, it's muffled
wink.gif
I'm not a musician, though. Is that what the instruments are supposed to sound like? or is it really just lack of funds for better recording equipment?

Also, anyone know where I can get a tour schedule? If they sound this good on a (IMO) badly recorded album, then they must be REALLY good live
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Ok, this may be a stupid question (I'm full of them, ya know), but is that a woman's behind or a man's? I had a really stupid conversation with a friend recently where we concluded that if you . . . tuck it in (We were watching Scary Movie 2) then you really can't tell. The shape between a toned woman's behind and a semi-toned man's behind isn't all that different. Hmmmm, if all my sick mind can think about is whether or not that's a man's behind or not every time I look at the album cover, I may just be torturing myself by buying the album. :p

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 19
Well I don't see much leg hair, but that's not really conclusive. Could it be a guy who waxed his legs?
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm pretty sure it's a woman. The curvature is much more woman than manlike. The few pubichairs that are visible look more female than male too. It's a woman. Woman. Definitly. 100% female.

(Hope I don't get banned from Head-Fi for this post...)

Nov 12, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 19
[size=small]ANYWAY [/size]

let's get back to the topic, I didn't get their album yet, just have a couple mp3s from them, they DO sound good that's for sure, but not the best out there.............

Nov 12, 2001 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, I'd never make the claim that a band is the "BEST out there". I just don't think it's possible to substantiate such a claim. I do however think they are quite good. I haven't regreted picking up the album yet. In fact, I think it's a wonderful addition to my music collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2001 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 19
I've been listening to this band for a while now.. And they certainly do rock. I saw them live 3 times already! I'm getting a little to fanatical about them. My avatar happens to be of their first single.

Anyways, the import version (Non-US rather) does include NYC Cops. They replaced that song with "When it Started" on the US version. I happen to like this song more.

Here are a little tidbits. Though they are an "indie" band, I think they could have made cleaner recordings if they wanted to. The lead singer, Julian Casablancas, is the son of John (I think that is his name) Casablancas the founder of Elite modeling. Julian went to Swiss boarding school for pete's sake. He met one of the members at that school, one in a school in France, and the rest at a prep school in Manhattan. A bunch of rich kids who wanted to be in a rock band! The video was also directed by Roman Coppola, son of you know who. There was a huge bidding war for them, and RCA won. Money was probably not a problem.

It's all intentional, I think..

Beavis: They played in San Diego back in early August. Then they came back to California in October, so I'm not sure when they'll be back again.

The information I'm providing is more or less correct. Wow, I'm pathetic.

Nov 22, 2001 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Well I tried the Strokes Cds and didn't care for it, and sold it in 1 hr on half.com for $2 less than retail! I realize this a "slacker" type band and they are intentionally trying to be "lo-fi" but I thought sound quality was very dissappointing.

Also entire CD of 11 tracks is less than 36 minutes. I recently saw video on MTV, hope they didn't pay someone money to make that. Sorry but I feel this band is severely overhyped. Perhaps
someday they will live up to it........got long way to go IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back