The Strokes - Is This It
Nov 22, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 19
DarkAngel,

I can see how some people wouldn't like it. When I first heard the single, I thought there was something wrong with it, like someone recorded it with a handheld tape recorder. The single's sound quality is even worse than the album version by the way
biggrin.gif
. I got over that part of it pretty quickly because the music appealed to me. It obviously didn't appeal to you, and it probably never will. I don't think it is the kind of music that grows on you. You either like it or you don't from the start. You are entitled to your opinions, even if it's wrong.
evil_smiley.gif
hah, just kidding.

About the 3 minute songs, I guess that could be an issue for people who want >3 minute songs. Weren't 3 minute songs common in the 50s?

It's kind of funny because I didn't even want to bring up this band earlier because I figured people would just hate it because of the sound quality alone.

Oh yeah, I liked their video too. We have different tastes. Mine is good and yours is bad..
evil_smiley.gif
hah, just kidding again!

BTW, from seeing the type of music you like, I don't even know why you even bothered buying this album.. You tested a few tracks from the new Rob Zombie (I thought you liked him) before you bought that, but you didn't for the strokes cd? That is weird. You must have really fallen for the "hype machine."

So I guess my point is: You have no idea what you're talking about.
very_evil_smiley.gif
my final just kidding!

Nov 22, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 19
hey TV!

I do have quite a sizeable collection of alt/indie groups that you and I probably both have ie: Pixies, Placebo, Elastica etc and I do like the general type of Iggy pop/new york dolls sleazy/raunchy NY style of rock music they play, I like thier direction.....I just think they need more practice
very_evil_smiley.gif

I did listen to some 30 second samples, but must not of listened close enough. I remember for a long time I refused to buy Oasis CDs because they were hyped so much. Then I broke down and bought Morning Glory used, wow what a great wall of feedback sound, now I own all their CDs. If the Strokes refine their skills and get a decent studio recording thier next CD could be really
great!

Nov 22, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 19
DarkAngel,

Ok, I guess your tastes aren't so bad!

Anyways, they've admitted to playing simple music and I just found that simplicity so refreshing. It was a nice change from listening to the intricate sounds of amnesiac which was what I was also listening to at the time. Hey, I admit, the strokes aren't the best at playing their instruments (need more of those expensive music lessons).. It's just.. I don't know. I just really enjoy the music. It gives me a good feeling. Keeps my head steady bopping and my toes tapping. I kind of hoped for a better recording also.. Hey, I'm just happy it's better than the modern age single recording.

P.S. I used to watch your tv show!

Nov 23, 2001 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 19
Auditioned a pair of Mirage OM-7 speakers a while back. (they are omnipolar, check out www.miragespeakers.com for details) I brought along a couple of demodiscs, I guess none of the can described as audiophile quality recordings but most of them sounded pretty good. The last record I listened to were, you gussed it, "Is This It" with the Strokes. I could barely listen to the first song. It simply sounded horrible! Screcchy treble from hell. The dude who owned the store gave me a look that said "maybe this isn't the speaker for you, get the hell outta my shop".

I had a pretty good idea that the OM-7 wouldn't be my kind of speaker but I never heard a bi/omnipolar speaker before so...

Oh yeah this store have the big O! Orpheus that is. The big valve amp stod on a pedistal in the back of the showroom. I asked the shopowner if it worked. He gave me a strange look and said "I certainly hope so". My reply was "Can I listen to it". I will probably never forget what he answered me: "No. I have never plugged it in. I want to keep it mint. But it's yours for 120000 SEK (~$11000)".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back