The Stax thread
Feb 14, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #2,551 of 2,694
I wouldn't think it's the bias signal at fault given the background noise I'm hearing. I hadn't given it much thought until now but yes, it's kind of odd to hear the noise if the mains is only providing the bias signal? Perhaps though the circuit is more active than would at first appear. With the SR-X MK3 being fed from the SRD-7 Mk2 it sounds like cassette tape hiss whereas the SRD-6 is largely silent in comparison. The O2's mask a lot of it with their reduced efficiency but I can still hear it faintly there. My SRD-7 (non Pro) that is currently in need of a new zener diode was different again with some audible mains hum. Don't believe that would come through the bias either. My suspicion is that the mains is somehow corrupting the signal lines. Should be easy enough to verify looking at PCBs.

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #2,552 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't think it's the bias signal at fault given the background noise I'm hearing. I hadn't given it much thought until now but yes, it's kind of odd to hear the noise if the mains is only providing the bias signal? Perhaps though the circuit is more active than would at first appear. With the SR-X MK3 being fed from the SRD-7 Mk2 it sounds like cassette tape hiss whereas the SRD-6 is largely silent in comparison. The O2's mask a lot of it with their reduced efficiency but I can still hear it faintly there. My SRD-7 (non Pro) that is currently in need of a new zener diode was different again with some audible mains hum. Don't believe that would come through the bias either. My suspicion is that the mains is somehow corrupting the signal lines. Should be easy enough to verify looking at PCBs.

Check how the audio transformers are connected up. Are they being run completely passive?

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #2,553 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've plugged a normal bias phone into a pro socket and they are just fine. I wouldn't do it intentionally though...
plainface.gif

How did you make that? I think normally it's not possible because there is a pin in middle on normal socket which avoids connection into pro jack.

Akira

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #2,554 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So....How do Stax cans work at low volumes? I have sensitive ears and need to listen at low volumes but really hate the hit sound and imaging takes when you crank the knob towards zero. Does the "faster" quality translate to better low volume quality?

No reason why stats wouldn't work at low volumes. However, you have to consider the frequency response of any phone to see what it will sound like at low volumes. The ear loses sensitivity at both end of the spectrum, with decreasing volume, although mainly in the bass region. See:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Cour...labs/loudness/

Phones which are already bass-shy will probably not sound too good at reduced volume. I would say that the Stax SR001/003, Sigma and I suspect 02, will probably hold up best at low volumes because of their somewhat enhanced mid-bass. By comparison, the various Lambdas (404,303,202, Nova) may seem bass deficient at low volumes because they have less midbass (although they do have deeper bass than some of the previous phones.

Also, if the phones are self-biased (probably from a self-biasing transformer) they may lose some of their bias at low listening levels and sound unsatisfactory. This should not be a problem with a headphone amp, although I would still run the phones for a few seconds/minutes at high volume to get them properly charged up.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #2,555 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phones which are already bass-shy will probably not sound too good at reduced volume. I would say that the Stax SR001/003, Sigma and I suspect 02, will probably hold up best at low volumes because of their somewhat enhanced mid-bass. By comparison, the various Lambdas (404,303,202, Nova) may seem bass deficient at low volumes because they have less midbass (although they do have deeper bass than some of the previous phones.

For what its worth, I find the 4070 does low volume better than the Sigma Pro, so I suspect things are a little more complex than that. Not 100% sure, though, as I don't generally listen at particularly low volumes.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #2,556 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check how the audio transformers are connected up. Are they being run completely passive?

That'd certainly be my first suspect. I'll check when I get a chance.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #2,557 of 2,694
Man, I wonder if there's an option in vBulletin to have the page numbers wrap around when they're wider than the width of a browser. It's getting annoying to scroll somewhere roughly seventy feet to my right every time I want to move to the next page
mad.gif

Patrick

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #2,558 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I wonder if there's an option in vBulletin to have the page numbers wrap around when they're wider than the width of a browser. It's getting annoying to scroll somewhere roughly seventy feet to my right every time I want to move to the next page
mad.gif

Patrick

Maybe they're in cahoots with widescreen monitor manufacturers.
tongue.gif
I know what you mean, though. Actually, I believe there is an option to add a "..." an skip most of the pages, but as to why it's not activated you'll have to ask Jude.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #2,560 of 2,694
Quote:

mad.gif

Patrick

I agree, I'm surprised the BB software on the server doesn't wrap to the width of the rest of the page.

My solution is to just increment the number in the link and hit enter. For instance, the last page was this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...91438&page=127

I just type in the link line in the browser and change the 127 to 128 and hit enter, so no megascrolling required.

-- Gordie

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #2,562 of 2,694
Gah. I'm getting increasing frustraited with the solid-state amplifier I'm using to power my transformer box. The dangers of temporary solutions that become semi-perminant.
frown.gif

I'm going to have to track down a cheap direct-heated tube amplifier if I wish to keep my sanity.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #2,563 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by akira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you make that? I think normally it's not possible because there is a pin in middle on normal socket which avoids connection into pro jack.

Akira

Anything is possible if you are tired enough. I was using one of my old extension cables that have a 6 pin socket but a 5 pin male plug and I plugged it in a pro socket on the T1. They got really loud...
eek.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #2,564 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything is possible if you are tired enough. I was using one of my old extension cables that have a 6 pin socket but a 5 pin male plug and I plugged it in a pro socket on the T1. They got really loud...
eek.gif

You're lucky you didn't damage anything. I knackered my 4070s with a simple mistake like that.

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #2,565 of 2,694
Quote:

mad.gif

Patrick

Agree totally! I was going to have a moan myself about this very thing, but have now side-tracked myself with self-bias vs mains bias issues!

How about, at least, having the 'Next Page' arrow duplicated (or even moved) next to the 'Previous Page' arrow: this should save a lot of waiting 20 minutes whilst my ancient PC deigns to scroll to the right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back