The Stax thread
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #2,506 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Count yourself amoung the lucky ones.

In any case, the Sigmas are fillng the same niche as the 001s for me now. The Stone Roses sound oh so delicious through them.

How much in total did you pay for the Sigma Pros via Rinkya? Just curious, as you said, their fees calculation is a bit complex.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #2,507 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much in total did you pay for the Sigma Pros via Rinkya? Just curious, as you said, their fees calculation is a bit complex.

$312.11 shipped.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #2,509 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need almost as much voltage as the SR-007 and if they don't get it they will sound very veiled and dark.

Neither of the adjectives describes what I'm hearing, so I'll take that as a complement.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #2,510 of 2,694
They sound a bit like the HD600 when they aren't driven hard enough so not pleasant at all...
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #2,511 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound a bit like the HD600 when they aren't driven hard enough so not pleasant at all...
wink.gif

Well, as long as they don't start sounding like the HD595...

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #2,514 of 2,694
I've been playing with these and have had a couple of breakthroughs. First, the comfort issue. Solution was fairly simple - remove the headband. They stay in the ears just fine (as long as I'm relatively stationary), and 90 per cent of the discomfort is gone. Eureka!

Second, their sound. Yes, they're a bit rolled off, and can use a little more bass (maybe the way I'm wearing them - not jammed in my ear to the third knuckle like before!). Voila! Enter the Ipod's equalizer. This little jewel has a dozen or so settings that seem to be working in the digital domain. I think the best results are "accoustic" and "jazz," although "electronic" isn't too bad. Accoustic gives a nice boost in the low bass and also in the treble, about where they seem to need a kick in the a. Amazingly, there seems to be little distortion of the sound field (which is immediately affected negatively in the 202's).

So, I'm really enjoying these today, and can see why they are so popular (with those who can wear them!). I'm going to put together a much better power supply solution than the one I cobbled together yesterday later on tonight. I'm trying to achieve real portability with good sound, so we'll see how this works out (they must have 4.5V delivered to sound decent). Radio Shack has collected around 20 bucks in parts from me already.
lambda.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #2,516 of 2,694
Hi All !
Let the longest thread longer ! My purpose not only this I am thinking about improving my electrostatic gear. I have an stax sr-003 with a sennheiser hev70 now and a sr-lambda professional with srm-1/mk2 professional or with a sr-x mk3 (pro perhaps, very rare i know) would be my next goal what do you think ?
What do you think about modifying a probably older, normal bias srm1 mk2 for high bias. The bias circuitry can not be so complicated but what about the amp part is it the same as in the latter srm1 mk2 variants ? Somebody may think low bias means lower voltage swing amplifier. Te reverse direction is - not so but - interesting too, low bias for a PP srm1 mk2. I heard about something lending bias from an other equipment but not about this.

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #2,517 of 2,694
Good luck on the SR-X Pro, a number of us (myself included) would probably beat you to it if one came up for auction.

The Lambdas have a different sound character from the 003 (brighter, with less lower-mids). You'll either like it, or you won't. They're certainly more technically proficient than the 003 is.

There were several revisions of the SRM-1, and they do supposedly sound slightly different, but it's doubtful that the difference will be big enough to matter.

Most of us here understand the polarizing voltage and and voltage swing are different things.

The concensus is that modifying something to support a different bias voltage is more trouble than it's worth. Making a forked cable like Spritzer's is a far easier approach.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #2,518 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been decided that the Sigmas will not be for sale. I still don't regard them to be as good as the HE60s, but I'm beginning to really like them.

So you will consider giving them away?
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #2,520 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by judo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All !
Let the longest thread longer ! My purpose not only this I am thinking about improving my electrostatic gear. I have an stax sr-003 with a sennheiser hev70 now and a sr-lambda professional with srm-1/mk2 professional or with a sr-x mk3 (pro perhaps, very rare i know) would be my next goal what do you think ?
What do you think about modifying a probably older, normal bias srm1 mk2 for high bias. The bias circuitry can not be so complicated but what about the amp part is it the same as in the latter srm1 mk2 variants ? Somebody may think low bias means lower voltage swing amplifier. Te reverse direction is - not so but - interesting too, low bias for a PP srm1 mk2. I heard about something lending bias from an other equipment but not about this.

Low bias certainly doesn't mean that there is less voltage swing. All low bias phones run just fine off my Blue Hawaii even at a fairly high volume level. I think you are talking about adding a 580v bias to the normal SRM-1 since the Mk2's all had a Pro socket. A +580v bias generator costs about 40$ in parts with an isolation transformer but you can skip that. If the amp already has a pro socket you can cut the 230v bias wire and solder it to the pro socket and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back