The Stax thread
Feb 13, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #2,491 of 2,694
From my memory, the 202/717 sounded miles better than the 003/006t (not too surprising result). I think it is a matter of sound signature more than actual technical performance.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #2,492 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my memory, the 202/717 sounded miles better than the 003/006t (not too surprising result). I think it is a matter of sound signature more than actual technical performance.

And a matter of amplification.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #2,493 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Too bad they make my ear canals cry.

Yes, just so. I got them because I find myself travelling a good bit, and wanted to take something with me to match up with the NEWIPOD (an influence from having teen-age kids - I'm quite late joining THAT revolution). It was just so tempting to think I could carry most of my music in Apple Lossless to the four corners, and actually enjoy it in STAX-Vision. But I don't know if I could take more than an hour or two at a time from those medievel instruments of torture delivered through the ear cavities.
Some people say your ear canals develop toughness, or "callouses," for all I know, so we'll see what develops. But it's just so nice to remove those things and slip the 202s back over my ears (not to mention the soundstage gets, like, twice as large, bass goes deeper, etc.).
I don't have a "proper amp," for them, admittedly, but they seem well shy of 2020-land, at this point. I'm thinking - maybe I can soften up those ear canal reamers with some tubular foam, or something?

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2,494 of 2,694
Sorry - ghosts in the machine -- dupe post

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #2,495 of 2,694
The 001/003 headphones do benefit from burn-in. I have a burned-in pair and a brand new pair with pehaps 10-15 hours on them; there is a clear and audible difference. Clarity, instrument separarion, and treble extension are all better on the burned-in version.

They're no match for the Lambdas overall, but the do a few things better specifically - bass impact and midrange quality.

Overall, a very musical set of phones. I think you'll like them a lot more with a few hours on them. Also, they're very source-dependant. They sounded rather poor with most mp3 players that I threw at them, but with vintage CD players, a good DAC or a full-size CDP, they shone.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #2,496 of 2,694
I received my first STAX amp today (SRM-1/MK-2). Now I have a major problem. I'm still waiting for my adapter to be made for my HE60. I guess i'm stuck with the HEV70 for a little longer. Oh the agony.
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #2,497 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my first STAX amp today (SRM-1/MK-2). Now I have a major problem. I'm still waiting for my adapter to be made for my HE60. I guess i'm stuck with the HEV70 for a little longer. Oh the agony.
frown.gif

I hope you enjoy it
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #2,498 of 2,694
Quote:

frown.gif

Oooh, gutted.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #2,499 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you enjoy it
wink.gif

Thanks.
biggrin.gif
I'm hoping it's a significant improvement over the HEV70.

Quote:

Oooh, gutted.

Yeah, i'm trying to forcefully push the HE60 plug into the stax socket. The geometry doesn't seem to match, so no go.

I'm kidding of course......or am I?
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #2,500 of 2,694
Quote:

Yeah, i'm trying to forcefully push the HE60 plug into the stax socket. The geometry doesn't seem to match, so no go.

I'm kidding of course......or am I?
redface.gif

Just wire it up the Kevin Gilmore way.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2,502 of 2,694
003 is teh awesome l337 sexafone!!1!!11!!1

I guess I'm really lucky in that I both love the sound far more than the Lambos and find them extremely comfy. Over the weekend I had a good five hour strech with them and zero discomfort. Quite remarkable given their reputation for ouchiness. They sound damn fine with the t-amp and transformer, every bit as good/better as the Stax amp.

Also got my new Gamma earpads. The bits are coming together nicely
biggrin.gif
Next to get is a Trends TA-10 t-amp and prolly a Firestone Big Joe until I can afford better. I love my cool toys sooo much.
lambda.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #2,503 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uite remarkable given their reputation for ouchiness.

Count yourself amoung the lucky ones.

In any case, the Sigmas are fillng the same niche as the 001s for me now. The Stone Roses sound oh so delicious through them.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #2,504 of 2,694
Quote:

Count yourself amoung the lucky ones.

In any case, the Sigmas are fillng the same niche as the 001s for me now. The Stone Roses sound oh so delicious through them.

Congrats on the Sigmas, the only phone able to make the Jecklins look reasonable
wink.gif

I imagine I'd like the Sigmas more than the Lambdas. I hope they grow on you over time, they do have quite the rep for their unique sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back