The Stax thread
Jan 5, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #1,336 of 2,694
Hi Folks,

There are so many pages, that they are starting to run off my screen. Any chance to archive, say, the first 55 pages of this thread, and then continue at a more manageable size?

Or are we going for some kind of record here?

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #1,337 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or are we going for some kind of record here?

Of course. We want to beat 2 channel's Stax thread. Just 28423 more posts to go.

Seriously though, don't worry about asking a question that has already been asked.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #1,338 of 2,694
Let's say that I'm interested in the SR-404, what amp is suitable? I'm thinking about just going with the 4040A system that has the 404 and the 006tII. But everytime I read a bad description of the 404, I have nightmare visions of an electrostatic SA5000.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #1,339 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say that I'm interested in the SR-404, what amp is suitable? I'm thinking about just going with the 4040A system that has the 404 and the 006tII. But everytime I read a bad description of the 404, I have nightmare visions of an electrostatic SA5000.

No electrostatic I've heard sounds like the SA5000. They can sound thin and agressive if you get poor system synergy, though.

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #1,340 of 2,694
Quote:

I've just listened to a Lavry in my 3030s a few days ago and the combination is too treble heavy and decoloured for my taste. I suspect you may want something like an Egmont or McAllister amp (just from what I've been reading on these forums now and then, I haven't heard these amps myself). But then, YMMV considerably...

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #1,341 of 2,694
Quote:

With having a F1 you have a VERY nice amp to drive some 404s through a SRD7-Pro or mk2 tranformer.
You could then run your K1000s off the speaker posts and instantly switch back and forth between them.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #1,342 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are Nova Signature's they are brown and it should say Signature on the small nameplate on the top of the ear cups.

The Nova series came after the Signature and the original Lambda Pro Classic in 1994 I think.

They are brown, thanks for the info. There isnt a Signature nameplate on top, thats why I got worried but since its brown....phew... Thanks guys for the reassurance.

The Nova Signature headband and earpads are the same as the 404s? They look similar. Thinking about getting spares.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #1,343 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nova Signature headband and earpads are the same as the 404s? They look similar. Thinking about getting spares.

404 parts are interchangeable.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #1,344 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With having a F1 you have a VERY nice amp to drive some 404s through a SRD7-Pro or mk2 tranformer.
You could then run your K1000s off the speaker posts and instantly switch back and forth between them.

Don't tell him that, I need the next pro-bias adapter!
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #1,347 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, derekbmn, that was exactly what I needed -- funny how I was missing such an obvious solution! I was reasonably happy with my 404/313, fed directly from my sources through a Quintete, but recently got to hear a normal bias SRD-7/Lambda combo though my power amp. I was blown away by how much more visceral impact I got with that set up. I knew immediately that the 313 wasn't providing enough juice, but for some reason I fixated on an SRD-7 Pro as the solution (headfi upgraditis at work...or is it downgraditis in this case?).

After reading your response, I rerouted my system and am now feeding the 313 some pure-Class-A circuit goodness through a Sugden Headmaster -- what a huge difference! All the juice I was looking for and more...drums now have the attack that I had heard through the SRD-7/Lambda, but the overall sound retains the more refined presentation of the SR-404. Everything is what I was hoping to accomplish with the SRD-7 mkII/Pro -- I'm really pleased now, particularly since I can just listen instead of thinking about switching equipment.

I'm glad you liked the results. It does make a HUGE difference.

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #1,348 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you liked the results. It does make a HUGE difference.

...would one run the SRM-xxx with the volume wide open, then use the volume on the active preamp in this configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back