The Stax thread
Jan 1, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #1,201 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're earbuds and sit on the outside of your earcanal. I traded mine because they didn't fit, but I've never been earbud friendly.

Really? I actually shove them inside my ear canal
tongue.gif
Otherwise, they won't stay put without the headband. I don't really like my SR-003 much, especially when I've got the SR-404. I'm one of those who prefer the 404 to the 003 because of the increased air, detail, clarity and highs. Music sounds more dynamic and real when listening through the 404. I listen to classical music, so any muddiness and lack of realism is very easily heard. I can understand why some may prefer the 003 to the 404, but for me, the 003 just doesn't do it
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #1,202 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I actually shove them inside my ear canal
tongue.gif
Otherwise, they won't stay put without the headband. I don't really like my SR-003 much, especially when I've got the SR-404. I'm one of those who prefer the 404 to the 003 because of the increased air, detail, clarity and highs. Music sounds more dynamic and real when listening through the 404. I listen to classical music, so any muddiness and lack of realism is very easily heard. I can understand why some may prefer the 003 to the 404, but for me, the 003 just doesn't do it
wink.gif

I had to shove the suckers in, too, but it's not hw they're supposed to be worn.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #1,203 of 2,694
WHY why WHY why WHY must all the all-out assaults on direct drive electrostatic headphone amplifiers use tubes... I guess the KGSS is the closest to an all-out assault, but I get the impression the KGBH has a lot more balls.

I want like...the Pass Labs XA...for electrostatic headphones!

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #1,204 of 2,694
Quote:

The HE60 is closer to the SR-X than the O2, but the bass response of the HE60 and O2 are almost identical;

srs4040fda0.gif

he60hev70fxv6.gif

HE60

sr007io3.gif

O2

How were these plots obtained? They look plausible, but the nature of the microphone coupling will have a major bearing on the plot. Then it becomes an issue as to what coupling will match how the phones will work with a real person's ear.

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #1,205 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how difficult is it to get a good seal with the SR-001? I've read about people have very hard times trying to get good seals with IEMs, but the SR-001s are inserted into your ear canal a bit differently, aren't they (I was under the impression that they sit on/by your ear canal)?

While the SR-001/003 appear similar to IEMs, they are quite different. Seal isn't that important with them so much for sound, more for comfort. I don't use the headband and just place them against the edge of my ear canal. When my hands let go of them the weight of gravity on them causes them to adjust and they make a strange little sucking noise as they seal into the outside of the ear canal. For my ears it feels like a perfect fit. If they don't seal quite right I just get my fingers and give them a slight twist clockwise and anti-clockwise (mostly just a bump) so they'll slip into their natural seal correctly. Once there they can be pushed in further but it isn't necessary.

I think that there are two potential problems that will give people trouble wearing these. For those without a well worn in ear canal (i.e. due to IEMs) the edges on the rubber parts of the Stax may irritate their ear. I don't have this problem but I've been wearing IEMs for years. I suspect it's also possible that the natural seal I mention just doesn't happen for some people due to the shape of their ear/ear canal. This would make them more likely to fall out or be otherwise uncomfortable but I don't think it would have a lot of effect on the sound. In this situation the headband might help.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #1,207 of 2,694
Well, I'm burning in the 727 and the Omega 2s. I'll wait to comment on sound, but so far it seems just fine. How much burn in do these babies usually need?

Only one real complaint. There are two inputs on the 727 (1 pair balanced xlr & one pair single ended RCA. There is also an RCA ouput (passthrough) pair.

The problem is what while there is an input selector switch on the back of the unit, it serves little purpose. The owner is warned not to connect XLR cables and RCA input cables at the same time. Now, I would like to use the balanced input to take a balanced output from my DAC. I'd like to use the single ended input from the passthrough on my pre-amp for vinyl (and other single ended stuff to pass through). But I can't do both, so am just using the RCAs. Why put a selector switch on if it serves no purpose?

Question: does the 007 II tube amp work differently?

Seems like a bug, not a feature.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #1,208 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it would be interesting to see one of those graphs for the 001 so that we all know just how bad the treble roll off really is.

The treble roll-off is a little unsettling. Do you think it could be fixed with a colder source and/or EQ (Though I'm not sure if the H120 can EQ)? This is going to be my portable rig, so I might get the Micro DAC to help with the treble roll-off problem.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #1,209 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHY why WHY why WHY must all the all-out assaults on direct drive electrostatic headphone amplifiers use tubes... I guess the KGSS is the closest to an all-out assault, but I get the impression the KGBH has a lot more balls.

I want like...the Pass Labs XA...for electrostatic headphones!

Because tubes are better suited to high voltages than transistors are. Even finding a MOSFET that can take 2kV swings is a bit of a mission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How were these plots obtained? They look plausible, but the nature of the microphone coupling will have a major bearing on the plot. Then it becomes an issue as to what coupling will match how the phones will work with a real person's ear.

They were done by Ryu Matsuba, and yes, shouldn't be regarded as the last word in accuracy. They're good enough to demonstrate the point, and compare models, however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the SR-001/003 appear similar to IEMs, they are quite different. Seal isn't that important with them so much for sound, more for comfort.

Not in my experience. They only sound 'right' when you have both the right angle and seal, otherwise they sound either boomy or thin.

Quote:

The treble roll-off is a little unsettling. Do you think it could be fixed with a colder source and/or EQ (Though I'm not sure if the H120 can EQ)? This is going to be my portable rig, so I might get the Micro DAC to help with the treble roll-off problem.

Rolloff is rolloff. Correct it with an equalizer, not by adding more colourations.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #1,210 of 2,694
Quote:

Rolloff is rolloff. Correct it with an equalizer, not by adding more colourations.

What's wrong with using more gear to color the sound to fix a headphone as opposed to using an equalizer? I'm going to be eventually getting a portable DAC anyways, so why not shoot for one that is more prominent in the highs?

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #1,211 of 2,694
i think that eqing bass makes horrible distortion but the very high frequencies dont seem to mind being eqed much. well they do if they are boosted by something like 20db but that would probably make them brighter than grados anyways
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #1,212 of 2,694
Quote:

What's wrong with using more gear to color the sound to fix a headphone as opposed to using an equalizer? I'm going to be eventually getting a portable DAC anyways, so why not shoot for one that is more prominent in the highs?

Because using subjectively "warm" or "cold" equipment won't solve the problem, and within a few weeks you'll be wanting to change gear again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that eqing bass makes horrible distortion but the very high frequencies dont seem to mind being eqed much. well they do if they are boosted by something like 20db but that would probably make them brighter than grados anyways
tongue.gif

The secret is to cut, rather than boost.

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #1,213 of 2,694
Quote:

The secret is to cut, rather than boost.

i know that although doesnt it do harm to the sound still?

btw, why am i constantly dooling over stax stuff???
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #1,214 of 2,694
Quote:

Because using subjectively "warm" or "cold" equipment won't solve the problem, and within a few weeks you'll be wanting to change gear again.

Uh, I don't quite understand this logic. If a piece of equipment is very bright, harsh, and heavily focused on the highs, it won't help solve a treble roll-off because it is subjectively called "cold"? Why would I want to change gear again in a week (And how does this have any correlation with buying an external DAC?)?

Jan 2, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #1,215 of 2,694
Quote:

I have not been bothered by this either with the Stax 001 or 003. Portable sources are often somewhat nasty and you don't want the extended highs of the 404 with them as much of the material will be unlistenable. Also much pop/rock has overemphasized highs so the 001/003 rolloff is a useful corrective.

However, you may want to try a better interconnect than the stock supplied. I replaced it with a $19.00 Headroom connector and got a marked treble improvement. However there is only so far this will go. The 003 connected to the Stax 717 amp in my main system still rolls off the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back