The Stax thread
Aug 10, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #226 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
You're only talking about some srm-1/mkii's, such as yours, right? There's one on eBay that only has the normal-biased outlet and there was another one that I was about to get that doesn't have any pro-biased outlets. Here's a picture of the one on eBay:

Funky! As ken used to say - "Very Interesting. Most Informative."
biggrin.gif

i just noticed that the ebay one doesn't say "Professional" on the top either. whaddya know.

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #227 of 2,694
Hmm...it looks like there are distinct professional versions then. I'll be sure to ask about that as well. Thanks for the picture, Jahn!

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #229 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
To my ears not at all ,there is nothing thin or etchy sounding to that combo.(Very system dependant i'm sure)

system matching is key as you mentioned. even with this stax combo, i finally got into a groove with it by using the Melos as a preamp for it. stick some tubey goodness into the mix!

btw, the Melos seemed to impart the same magic on the Singlepower PPX Slam, go figure. man, dynamic cans sounded GOOD outta that combo! yay matching!

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #230 of 2,694
Well, it looks like that SRM-313 deal on these forums won't be happening, so I'm back at square one. Now it seems my only options are:

1. Buy that really expensive SRM-313 on eBay (Which would take ~3 weeks to arrive).

2. Buy the SRM1-MK2 non-professional version with normal biased-output.

3. ??? (Sell back the SR-404 that I get next week and forget about trying to work out all this STAX business?)

What do you guys think I should do? Honestly, how bad is running a pro-biased earspeaker out of a normal-biased amp (Are there any comparisons? Could anybody here please do a quick test that has an amp with both biases?)?

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #231 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
3. It has the highest output voltage (not the same as the bias voltage) apart from the SRM 717 and SRA 14s. This translates as better dynamics.

Let us forget not the godly T2
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #233 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Wait for a little bit, a good deal will show up. Alway's does.

I hope so. I guess I'm just getting a little impatient as I no longer have any headphones at all and I have a bunch of music CD's that are coming in nearly everyday. I didn't realize my original plan would have taken this many bad turns to the point where I'd have un-usable 404's for a long time while I wait for an amp deal to pop up.

But I'm still curious - how does a pro earspeaker sound out of a normal-biased output (both alone and in direct comparison to the pro-biased output)? Do you have an amp with both of these outputs and can do a quick comparison?

I regret not just going with that 3030 system deal a bit. I guess my main concern right now is being without decent headphones for so long and wanting to listen to my music so badly (Not quite as enjoyable to listen to out of my cheap computer speakers, nor with my Sony MDR-101's).

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #234 of 2,694
Quote:

Well, it looks like that SRM-313 deal on these forums won't be happening, so I'm back at square one. Now it seems my only options are:

1. Buy that really expensive SRM-313 on eBay (Which would take ~3 weeks to arrive).

2. Buy the SRM1-MK2 non-professional version with normal biased-output.

3. ??? (Sell back the SR-404 that I get next week and forget about trying to work out all this STAX business?)

What do you guys think I should do? Honestly, how bad is running a pro-biased earspeaker out of a normal-biased amp (Are there any comparisons? Could anybody here please do a quick test that has an amp with both biases?)?

urm... if I were in your position, wait a little, (someone's bound to be interested in the SR-303, eventually) maybe post an ad on the FS section; I do know someone who could be selling his SRM-313 soon, but he's in singapore.

It took me 4-5 months to assemble my stax system, so your predicament here looks a little... exaggerated in my eyes
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #236 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
It took me 4-5 months to assemble my stax system, so your predicament here looks a little... exaggerated in my eyes
biggrin.gif

I guess you're right. It's just so frustrating to know that I'm going to be headphone-less for so long (And I really don't like listening with my cheap computers speakers because of the sound and the fact that it disturbs everybody else all the time)!
wink.gif

Maybe I could get that STAX SR-001 or something to hold me over
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #237 of 2,694
Quote:

But I'm still curious - how does a pro earspeaker sound out of a normal-biased output (both alone and in direct comparison to the pro-biased output)? Do you have an amp with both of these outputs and can do a quick comparison?

Yup as I said before less volume ,weak dynamics and a overly polite sound.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #238 of 2,694
Okay, just to clarify, the 404's have a calmer presentation than the Lambda Pro's, and the SRM-1/MK-2 was made for the Lambda Pro's and tames the high end a bit. So, I should only get the SRM-1/MK-2 over the SRM-313 if I'm looking for a calmer presentation, otherwise I should get the SRM-313?

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #239 of 2,694
Aug 11, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #240 of 2,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back