The Stax thread
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #2,596 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BNIB NOS Omega, SRM-T2 *drool* I don't think I'll ever see this combo in BNIB condition.

/me drools as well!
Be prepared for a real bidding war is something like that ever show up...
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2,597 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, they're ported. Guess where the port is.

I'm thinking it'd have to be back into the ear somehow. Is it on the driver mounting plate, allowing the port to exit between the driver and the earpad on the inside edge of the earpad?

Just guessing. This'd make them a ported planar enclosure. That's perhaps a first!

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #2,598 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl, maybe it's time to close off this thread and formally start a Stax thread II with a new intro message and a link back to this thread and some properly charming pictures up front.

Everyone else, I think we can agree Carl is the one who would have to do this, in his role as unofficial Stax moderator.

FV

If everyone agrees, then I'm happy to. I'm just about to head off to work, so it'd have to wait until this evening anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you are freaking me out. Could my Lambdas be faulty? Aw man... and I though I found a gem... being NOS and all. Dang.

I would recommend opening them up and checking for any lose wires or corrosion. Running them in first like Spritzer suggests is a good idea, but it's no panacea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BNIB NOS Omega, SRM-T2 *drool* I don't think I'll ever see this combo in BNIB condition.

That would truely be a battle royale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking it'd have to be back into the ear somehow. Is it on the driver mounting plate, allowing the port to exit between the driver and the earpad on the inside edge of the earpad?

Just guessing. This'd make them a ported planar enclosure. That's perhaps a first!

Ding ding, we have a winner! The ports are behind the earpads, although facing outwards, not in.

Very clever idea.

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #2,599 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl, maybe it's time to close off this thread and formally start a Stax thread II with a new intro message and a link back to this thread and some properly charming pictures up front.

I am with you on this one.
This thread have grown a lot the last couple of months, and it might be about time to start a new one without the horizontal scrolling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda like your mom.....Bang , ZING!

An average mother have probably been used more than a NOS pair of headphones! Or else she would not have been a mother in the first place...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ports are behind the earpads, although facing outwards, not in.

Very clever idea.

Neat! Placing them out of sight behind the earpads.

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #2,601 of 2,694
I wanted to report a little further on my Koss ESP6. I haven't listened to them much because they couldn't fit my head (it's gigantic but I'm not actually small either) but I put the earcups on a Lambda headband and that works just fine. This is the original SR-Lambda headband and the pins are a little bit too small so the newer headband might fit better. They are nearly comfy now and isolate a bit less but it's a small sacrifice for the added comfort.

First off these things give bright a whole new meaning. If you push them a bit too far they will tear out your eardrums. The midrange is warm and a bit distant and not as good as what Stax was doing at the time. The bass has good thump to it but limited extension or texture. All in all not bad for 50$.
biggrin.gif

BTW. For those that do not know I've removed the built in circuitry so the ear cups are empty with no padding inside them. They have been recabled with a stax plug and I drove them with the T1

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #2,602 of 2,694
What's wrong with this one? It was getting to be one of the biggest threads on the forum
lambda.gif

Oh wait, I can't "
lambda.gif
" anymore. Bye-bye SR-404s...

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #2,604 of 2,694
Stax is Satan spelled sideways.
As soon as the tax return comes I'm goin' hunting Dick Cheney style for a set of SR-001s. Figure I'll give myself a few weeks to troll for used then it's off to the Audiocubans.

See what you've done.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2,605 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with this one? It was getting to be one of the biggest threads on the forum
lambda.gif

Oh wait, I can't "
lambda.gif

It's sad to see an enthusiastic Staxen such as yourself leave
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #2,606 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lambda.gif

Oh wait, I can't "
lambda.gif

It's a sad day for Staxers the world over.

On the other hand, now you're free to try some cheap SR-Xs
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #2,607 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Meanwhile, I have to agree with the 17 year-old kid in the US who's supposed to be swotting for his O-levels [Azure?]: this site is very addictive! I'm even checking it out BEFORE I get round to lookng at pictures of women without any clothes on... )

Is there something the matter with you?

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #2,609 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heads Up: Simply Stax is closing down, there will be a sell off of current stock such as the 600 quid off a pair of O2s.

Gosh! There's a shock! And I was about to email Howard and ask him if I could quote a sentence or two from his website, for use when the time comes for me to sell some of my Stax gear (lots of other people seem to use him in this way, but I don't know how many ask his permission first!).

I, for one, will be sad to see Simply Stax go: it was through Howard and Simply Stax that I started this crazy journey, not so very long ago...

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #2,610 of 2,694
It is indeed a sad day, my O2 came from Howard. He is a great guy to communicate with and his aftersale service was always tiptop.
Get the sale info here for those that are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back