The Stax Thread III
Nov 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #813 of 25,558
Interesting, surprised no one has cracked them open already for some photos.

When I do the ear pads I could certainly carry on and open them up for some internal shots.  I'm only hesitant because I don't know that I'll ever find any more replacement pads, so I'm trying to hang on as long as I can before I use my last set!

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #815 of 25,558
I'm just starting out.  I do not have a dedicated stereo system.  I have a late 2012 IMac with the headphone jack in the rear.  All music is through ITunes Apple Lossless, and I'm considering going to JRiver and FLAC.  I'm considering getting the Stax SRS-4170 system which includes the Stax SR 407 ear speaker and the Stax SRM-006tS driver.  I guess Stax paired the ear speaker with that particular driver because they felt it was the best pairing.  Would I be able to drive this system directly out of the rear headphone jack on my Mac?  I know that the Stax SRS-2170 system can be driven out of an iPod, PC, and Mac, but am not sure about the 4170 system.  I e-mailed Stax directly with my query, but have not heard back from them.  

I have other questions.

Do you think there are compromises between the 2170 and 4170 systems?

I was considering also getting the Stax SR 507.  I noticed that Stax kind of pairs this off with the STAX SRM-600LE driver.  I noticed that the driver for the 4170 system and the driver for the Stax SRS 570 have vacuum tubes.  I know that vacuum tubes have a limited lifespan and was wondering how to replace the tubes when they wear out, since I don't think that Stax is truly represented in the United States, and judging from they're not responding to my simple query, their customer service may not be the most prompt.  I'm not into tube rolling which can get very complicated and expensive.  What I was wondering was if the Stax 407 and the Stax 507 could be driven by the STAX SRM-323S solid state driver.  First of all, the driver would be cheaper, which is a big consideration for me.  Secondly, that driver is solid state which would mean no tube hassles.  Would there be a lot of compromises with the STAX SRM-323S driver and the Stax 407 or Stax 507?

I'd appreciate any answers.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #816 of 25,558
glorkaglickflic:  A Stax rig is pretty resolving. You'd want to do better than just use the headphone output of your Mac. I'd also avoid JRiver as seem to be perpetually in beta and full of bugs. It wont be an improvement over iTunes especially out of the headphone jack. 

Maybe more usefully, please tell us why you decided on Stax and not other headphones?

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #817 of 25,558
Because I've done due diligence and decided that I want the most resolving and neutral headphones I could afford.  I have investigated the Hifiman and Audeze orthos and have come to the conclusion that I want estats.

From what I understand, the audio output of the Mac is considered very good.

However, my question regarding if my Mac can drive the Stax drivers remains unanswered.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #819 of 25,558
It might be better to settle for a lesser Stax setup and get a proper dac

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #820 of 25,558
shipsupt:  The jack on the rear of the IMAc is an S/PDIF stereo 3.5 mini-phono jack.  What would be the correct interconnect?

davidsh:  The DAC would be my next purchase after the Staxes.  I do understand this.  Right now I have the "Bit Perfect" app on my iMac.  The DAC purchase was always a factor, but I will not compromise regarding sound quality in my budget level, and will not settle for a lesser Stax set-up.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #821 of 25,558

However, my question regarding if my Mac can drive the Stax drivers remains unanswered.

The only issue might be the noise floor on the Mac, you might get some hum/hiss, try it with some sensitive earphones first if you've haven't already.

Otherwise, it'll work fine with the right cable (male 3.5mm stereo to 2x male RCA, they are very common), you can always upgrade to an external DAC later when funds permit.

The SRM-323 is a great performer and superb value for money, it'll work a treat for Lambda's, but whether or not you'll prefer it to the tube options is another matter entirely.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #822 of 25,558
  Interesting, surprised no one has cracked them open already for some photos.

When I do the ear pads I could certainly carry on and open them up for some internal shots.  I'm only hesitant because I don't know that I'll ever find any more replacement pads, so I'm trying to hang on as long as I can before I use my last set!

Back when they were new we posted pics which are probably long gone.  Most of the discussion about what makes them tick was private though...  Very neat design and the bass reflex setup is one of those "why didn't somebody do that before" designs.

The 4070 is 100% a SR-404 with different housing and arc so any Lambda earpads will fit.  You might get some problems from the newer Lambda units though as they are thinner than the old (stock) units. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #823 of 25,558
From my understanding none of the lambdas of the current series is superior to one another, but has minor differences, though 307 and 407 should sound the same. If you really want best sound for your money there's of course the vintage lambdas and amps..

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #824 of 25,558
Spotted this link on another site if anyone is interested. Hope this doesn't break any forum rules.

Don't know who the seller is.

Stax SR-3 & SRD-5 - Electrostatic ear speakers (headphones) dating from early 1970s with SRD-5 energiser, in excellent condition with original manual. Photos on request. £175.00 plus p&p - contact T2o AT greenbee.net (Mid Beds UK}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back