The Stax Thread III
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #723 of 25,539
Hi, I am back. I am enjoying my 507/600 combo a lot but  I have a little question, a curiosity: when I set the bias I can reach 0- 300 mV both DC and offset on both channels.(amp well warmed up an no input). I also check again after a while. The values fluctuate between -250mV and +450mV. Ok, I close the metal panel ad switch off the unit.
Anyway, if  I check again after some days I have different values: 0,9-1 V. Do you think that these fluctuations are normal or should I check for some problem? As posted before in the thread I have already changed the 8X30k  plate resistors with 16X15k (2%,5W) kiwame.

And: would dc balance and offset bias setting be easier with the headphone plugged-in?
Thanks. PP

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #726 of 25,539
Can anyone compare the Electra with the KGSS? Lately I've felt the SR007 was a little closed in, a little dark and in need of some upper frequency shimmer. This may be coming from the HE6 I've been listening to over the past week, as I don't remember thinking this before. It would be nice to know if the Electra opens them up a bit. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #727 of 25,539
hi there,

i'm asking help as i'm having a problem with a stax set my friend got this summer.

we are still mid fi with a great learning curve ahead, but quite curious about high end sound as we experienced the 407/007 in a french audio shop. The quality of the sound was so great from what we knew ( i own a SR325i and he's got a beyer dt880 ) that we stepped up to get a SRM 323/307 set from ebay.

when we received the pack ( no blemish whatsoever ) plugged the amp, put the headphone on, but we only get sound from the right speaker?? we checked everything cablewise but everything is connected, we are using a computer as a source ( for the test) jack>rca directly to the amp. It seems the volume knob is turning but nothing happens, the knob for the left channel is working, but we got no sound from the right one. 

as we are clearly begginners from this side, we don't know anyone having another stax headphone/set to authenticate the source of the problem (either the amp or the headphone)

do you guys might have an idea of what is going on with this? 

regards

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #729 of 25,539
Presume you have reversed the RCA connections from the source and does the fault move to the other channel or stay the same?

Quote:
  hi there,

i'm asking help as i'm having a problem with a stax set my friend got this summer.

we are still mid fi with a great learning curve ahead, but quite curious about high end sound as we experienced the 407/007 in a french audio shop. The quality of the sound was so great from what we knew ( i own a SR325i and he's got a beyer dt880 ) that we stepped up to get a SRM 323/307 set from ebay.

when we received the pack ( no blemish whatsoever ) plugged the amp, put the headphone on, but we only get sound from the right speaker?? we checked everything cablewise but everything is connected, we are using a computer as a source ( for the test) jack>rca directly to the amp. It seems the volume knob is turning but nothing happens, the knob for the left channel is working, but we got no sound from the right one. 

as we are clearly begginners from this side, we don't know anyone having another stax headphone/set to authenticate the source of the problem (either the amp or the headphone)

do you guys might have an idea of what is going on with this? 

regards

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #731 of 25,539
It's not often I search for something and come up with nothing even though I am sure this has been discussed before...

I have a Stax 323A amp. I assume since it has two headphone outputs that are the same, can I use both outputs at the same time? If not, then why have two outputs?

What are the disadvantages of using to headphones at one time?

I have a pair of 407's and 009's and want to compare them. But I also don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging those Stax connectors a lot.

Your thoughts?

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #732 of 25,539
Works best when both headphones are identical. Otherwise one is going to
Be a fair amount louder. The extra load on the amp is very minimal.

This is nothing like the loads on a dynamic amplifier.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #733 of 25,539
  Can anyone compare the Electra with the KGSS? Lately I've felt the SR007 was a little closed in, a little dark and in need of some upper frequency shimmer. This may be coming from the HE6 I've been listening to over the past week, as I don't remember thinking this before. It would be nice to know if the Electra opens them up a bit. 

I'm hoping the BHSE will open them up as well.  It's said to be a great match..

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #734 of 25,539
  It's not often I search for something and come up with nothing even though I am sure this has been discussed before...

I have a Stax 323A amp. I assume since it has two headphone outputs that are the same, can I use both outputs at the same time? If not, then why have two outputs?

What are the disadvantages of using to headphones at one time?

I have a pair of 407's and 009's and want to compare them. But I also don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging those Stax connectors a lot.

Your thoughts?

They are sharing the amp in a way but as Kevin said, it's fine to plug a few headphones into any one amplifier.  Stax even made a 3-to-1 adapter back in the day. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #735 of 25,539
Hi there,
I have read opposite things about the charge/discharge of the Mylar membrane. Hours to charge, seconds to charge, problems with strange static opposite charge......
So, now, my question are:
Is it better to leave the phones plugged all the time or the charging time is so short that this is not an issue?
Is it better to discharge the phones when unplugged? and how I can do that? (I unplug the phones every night because of my cats.....)

Please experts, some light!

Ciao
Pier Paolo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back