The Stax Thread III
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #751 of 25,621
  That long charge up myth comes from the QUAD ESL57 with its nylon coating and rather insane surface resistance.  Couple that with a very weak bias supply and they will take a long time to charge up. 

For Stax headphones the charge will take a few milliseconds to reach full level if they are working properly. 

Quads are rather quaint.  Great sound, idiosyncratic appearance, eccentric British midcentury tech.  I always thought they looked like room heaters for a Swedish moon base.  I don't think I would ever part with mine.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #753 of 25,621
Here is something unusual, the rarest of all Stax headphones.  It's so rare that it isn't even listed on the history page... 

Stock earpads long perished so those are A-T 3000ANV units.  Now the truly odd bit...

Those are not Stax baffles and not what the phones shipped with.  They are from a PWB headphone which was made in the UK in the late 60's.  No idea why they are even there but the earpads were the standard PWB units as well. 

This is what they look like with the baffles opened up.  The drivers are identical to the late SR-1 models and have that same adhesive ring for the baffle seal. 

In the last 10 years of searching I've only seen two of these for sale all over the world and this is one of them.  That makes even the SR-X Mk1 seem common.  

Quote:
  A question for Stax historians: Why did Stax discontinue the Gamma / Alpha line after a few years? Where they not succesful enough, or too similar to the Lambdas?

Low sales and build quality issues were the main culprit.  They were never that much cheaper than the Lambda to make and were just a way to keep using the driver tech they had used since 1960.  Though is should be mentioned that they were made for 7 or so years so not a complete loss. 

Quads are rather quaint.  Great sound, idiosyncratic appearance, eccentric British midcentury tech.  I always thought they looked like room heaters for a Swedish moon base.  I don't think I would ever part with mine.

There is indeed nothing quite like them.  The tech is old but PJW had such a fundamental grasp of the electrostatic technology that he made up for the lackluster build quality and the materials they had at hand.  It would be interesting to see if anybody could make a modern version of them, same principles but larger in every way. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #754 of 25,621
I'm not sure about the design philosophy behind the Alpha/Gamma lines (I haven't really observed specimens of either). The Lambda and Omega enclosures had express design goals in mind be it "surround" sound or improved bass response (among other things).

Are squeaky/creaky Lambda headbands prone to failure? I know that many specimens over a dozen years old have headband assemblies that creak like bad door hinges, but I'm wondering if that affects integrity of the structure at all.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #755 of 25,621
No
Try some silicone or beeswax polish if it annoys you 
Quote:
  Are squeaky/creaky Lambda headbands prone to failure? I know that many specimens over a dozen years old have headband assemblies that creak like bad door hinges, but I'm wondering if that affects integrity of the structure at all.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #756 of 25,621
Even so surprisingly still a great listen if you like the smaller style compared to the Lambdas, circumaural too

Quote:
  According to the Wiki, sales did not meet expectations as the price difference between those lines and the Lambdas was too small to justify settling for the lesser models.

I'm no Stax historian though.

That matches what we were told during the interview at stax last a year ago.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #757 of 25,621
Need some input from Stax aficionados ...

At one time, a very long time ago, I had a STAX SRS-3050II "Classic" system ... comprised of the Stax SRM-323II amp with the SR-303 "Lambda" earspeakers; it was a phenomenal bit of gear and I found it to be near perfect, equaling the speed and detail (perhaps more detail even) of my Stello HP100 amp and Grado GS1000 headphones.

I ended up selling it in a time when I needed money; I got $700.00 for it here in Houston, as a local sell. That was back in 2009. Since then, I've been using a Ray Samuels Raptor amp (with the same source, a MHDT Labs Havana/Stockholm) and the same Grado GS1000's.

I still rather enjoy my Raptor/GS1000's setup but have been getting the itch to revisit Stax, on one hand simply because I'm getting the itch and on the other hand because just speaking technically, the GS1000's can be nit picky with certain, treble emphasized music (mostly rock stuff that's mixed sort of hot in the treble already).  But otherwise, especially with jazz, classical and certain electronic  ... I love the GS1000's speed, bass, soundstage and detail.

But I remember the Stax being very similar, only butter smooth in the highs through just about everything I could throw at it and so I'm considering selling the Raptor amp and GS1000 headphones and looking for a deal on a Stax system.

My question:

What Stax combination would you recommend for about $1500 dollars US? Either used or new is fine. I'd want the kit that featured the fullest bass and most detail while being as extended, yet forgiving in the highs as possible. I've never heard one of the tube based amps and so can't speak towards those but I'm certainly open to such. 

Thanks for any comments ...
.joel

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #758 of 25,621
Joel, is there any chance of you making it to the Austin meet in January?

If you can make it you can check out my Stax rig. It's 100% mid-fi but for the qualities I want in a headphone rig, I think I'd need to spend way more in dynamics to get what I have with the Stax.  

I'm using: Dennon DVD-2900 -> Little Dot MKIVse (preamp) -> Sonic Impact Super T-amp -> Woo Wee -> Stax SR404

The phones, pre-amp, power amp and Wee came to about $1500. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #759 of 25,621
  Joel, is there any chance of you making it to the Austin meet in January?

If you can make it you can check out my Stax rig. It's 100% mid-fi but for the qualities I want in a headphone rig, I think I'd need to spend way more in dynamics to get what I have with the Stax.  

I'm using: Dennon DVD-2900 -> Little Dot MKIVse (preamp) -> Sonic Impact Super T-amp -> Woo Wee -> Stax SR404

The phones, pre-amp, power amp and Wee came to about $1500. 

Yeah. a reall good chance I might make it. 

More later!!

:wink:

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #760 of 25,621

At one time, a very long time ago, I had a STAX SRS-3050II "Classic" system ... comprised of the Stax SRM-323II amp with the SR-303 "Lambda" earspeakers; it was a phenomenal bit of gear and I found it to be near perfect, equaling the speed and detail (perhaps more detail even) of my Stello HP100 amp and Grado GS1000 headphones.

I ended up selling it in a time when I needed money; I got $700.00 for it here in Houston, as a local sell. That was back in 2009. Since then, I've been using a Ray Samuels Raptor amp (with the same source, a MHDT Labs Havana/Stockholm) and the same Grado GS1000's.

I still rather enjoy my Raptor/GS1000's setup but have been getting the itch to revisit Stax, on one hand simply because I'm getting the itch and on the other hand because just speaking technically, the GS1000's can be nit picky with certain, treble emphasized music (mostly rock stuff that's mixed sort of hot in the treble already).  But otherwise, especially with jazz, classical and certain electronic  ... I love the GS1000's speed, bass, soundstage and detail.

But I remember the Stax being very similar, only butter smooth in the highs through just about everything I could throw at it and so I'm considering selling the Raptor amp and GS1000 headphones and looking for a deal on a Stax system.

My question:

What Stax combination would you recommend for about $1500 dollars US? Either used or new is fine. I'd want the kit that featured the fullest bass and most detail while being as extended, yet forgiving in the highs as possible. I've never heard one of the tube based amps and so can't speak towards those but I'm certainly open to such.

.joel

The modern version of your older Stax system is the SRS-3170. It sells for under $1500.

If you want tubes, then the Stax SRS-4170 system should do the trick.

My preference is the SR-407 earspeaker with a solid-state amp such as the SRM-323S or a DIY KGSSHV.

Just my dos centavos...

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #761 of 25,621

My question:

.joel

My suggestions: get vintage Lambdas and a SRM-T1 (or T1 S). That should make you happy!

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #764 of 25,621

My suggestions: get vintage Lambdas and a SRM-T1 (or T1 S). That should make you happy!

+1..on this setup
I just sold the Lambda-pro & the T1s..an excellent pairing .

I only reason I sold it was, ,because an opportunity came up to get the 007MKII,and a 727 amp.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #765 of 25,621
I have a question...  I own new-ish Stax 407's.  I would like to replace the pads with ones for the 507's.  On my old Lambda's, it was a simple matter of peeling off the old perished cushions, cleaning the slight adhesive residue off the plastic housing, and pressing on the replacement cushions.  Is the process the same for the 407's and the 507 cushions?  I find several mentions of the 507 cushions also fitting the 404's, but I don't find anything about them fitting the 407's.  Will they work, size-wise and as to the method of attaching them?

Thanks for any tips!

Happy listening
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back