The Stax Thread III
Sep 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #257 of 25,675
Quote:
Does anyone know what the customs charge is on a SR-009 or SR-007 coming to the US from Japan?

I am sure there is a web site if you type in google that tells you. In the UK it is 20% In the States i think there is Tax plus an additional fee. When i looked into it the prices although good were only a few pounds off UK retail if tax was added ( you can get lucky and have them go through customs with no charge sometimes ) In the end i decided to buy from here as with some issues being reported id rather be dealing with my Local Stax Agent than sending them back at my own cost to Japan.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #258 of 25,675
Here you are http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Quote:

I am sure there is a web site if you type in google that tells you. In the UK it is 20% In the States i think there is Tax plus an additional fee. When i looked into it the prices although good were only a few pounds off UK retail if tax was added ( you can get lucky and have them go through customs with no charge sometimes ) In the end i decided to buy from here as with some issues being reported id rather be dealing with my Local Stax Agent than sending them back at my own cost to Japan.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #262 of 25,675
The pricing has changed since you checked.  Today you can get the 009 from Japan for around $3431US in the UK.  IF you add the full 20% and another conservative $100 for shipping you're still $1550US under the UK retail (and that's not including shipping on the UK price).  Give or take a few $ for quick conversion to and from GBP. 

You can ship them back and forth a few times and still be well ahead with the current value of the yen.

Quote:

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #263 of 25,675
Hello. Have not contributed here for a very long time. Have recently acquired 007 mk2.5 and am very happy following a partial port block. The 'tuning' of the port is to my ears quite critical and required a lot of dismantling/assembling to get it right, but the result seems near-ideal to me  in terms of managing the usual criticisms of this variant. Essentially, I've left the 'middle' of the port open and closed the outside portions on both sides. For hose who want to know, yes it can fart, but it can also vent wind without farting. This seems to alleviate both the famous mid-bass hump and the slightly odd midrange emphasis.

On another note, I also use 4070s for editing. Where is the port on those? I don't get any 'feeling' of there being anything like the 007 variant...

Thanks,
Neil

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #266 of 25,675
The actual cost would be as follows:
Total customs value (CIF):£2262.13This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty:£45.24
- VAT:£461.48
Total import duty & taxes due:£506.72This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
Total landed cost:£2768.85This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
  at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.6406

The total cost would be $4,328

Quote:

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #270 of 25,675

SRD-X Pro fixed and lightly modded:

First, a big thanks to Spitzer for letting me know the most likely locations for the ground wire...indeed it was the battery black. Resoldered and all was good.

So, I mounted my AK100 on top (perfect black-on-black aesthetics), then hard-wired a mini-stereo plug into the left and right inputs, added a 1300 MAH 3S Lipo (around 11.5-12.6 volts depending on charge) and a Lipo low voltage alarm/voltage indicator) and voila, a fully portable Stax setup that sounds great. With the Lipo battery mod, it's much lighter than with the 8 C cells it was originally designed for...and thus is that much easier to lug around. Yes, it's bigger than an i-device and Pico amp, but still fits easily in a briefcase and looks not out of place on an office desk.

The best sound is from my LNS, which are still efficient enough not to sound thin. It also works well with the Gamma Pro's, as I think it was originally voiced for the GP's and those phones are more compact and slightly more efficient...but still retain that trademark Stax sound.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this is with 24/96 HD Tracks playing through the AK100. When bench-marked against my $16K non-portable Stax system (including a full-blown Empirical Audio Overdrive running into a 007A and LNS with power conditioning), well yes, the non-portable was of course better (faster, less roll-off, better soundstage, punch, power)... but I've yet to hear any portable rig non-electrostatic setup that approaches the lushness of these vintage pieces combined with an AK100. Compared to my Grado RS-1 and RA-1 the Stax is so much more fuller with a more tube-like midrange. Old + New+ a Mod or Two = Magic

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back