The Stax Thread III
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #241 of 25,533
Quote:
I thought you didn't like the sound of the 007? 
blink.gif

I was never impressed much with the 007MKI, then I heard it on my (now sold) KGSS and gained a new respect for it. Might even pick one up one day....(might).

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #243 of 25,533
Quote:
Quote:
I thought you didn't like the sound of the 007? 
blink.gif

That was in unideal meet listening conditions. So I'm disregarding all my thoughts on the Stax models.

Lmao, then I wish you the best of luck on your journey of wasting spending a lot of money on audio gear to find what you like.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #244 of 25,533
Srm-323s sounds great to me. Heard an srm-1/mk2 at a meet and could also do with that if I was tight on cash.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #245 of 25,533
Quote:
That was in unideal meet listening conditions. So I'm disregarding all my thoughts on the Stax models.

Quote:
Lmao, then I wish you the best of luck on your journey of wasting spending a lot of money on audio gear to find what you like.

To be honest I don't Eve is a headphone person, maybe apart from a select headphones that he/she hasn't heard properly in ideal (non-meet) conditions where your placebo and bias would wear off pretty fast if one has heard them properly. 

Just go with a CIEM and you'd probably enjoy it more than anything else, or go my route i.e. speakers.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #246 of 25,533
Quote:

Just go with a CIEM and you'd probably enjoy it more than anything else, or go my route i.e. speakers.

Though I already have CIEMs and IEMs. The trend is, if I can find a deal, I will try the gear and resell it without losing money. Afterall, I really haven't heard enough. Don't worry about it too much. :).

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #248 of 25,533
SRD-X Pro help:

I posted some pictures previously regarding this SRD-X Pro that was shipped to me working (red light on) but arrived non-functional. Unfortunately those pictures were, as Spitzer put it, useless and of poor resolution/orientation. I've taken these with a Canon EOS, so hopefully someone with an SRD-X Pro can tell me where the black wire (probably a ground?) goes. It is the wire that I'm holding in the third picture.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #249 of 25,533
Quote:
Did you get that filthy one from Japan?  That one needs to be submerged in soap for a week or so... 

Be aware that most of them just work on 100V and 117V.  Only a handful are 230V.

Yep, figured I give em a try (and most likely a rebuild back to spec as well). Yeah going to give him a nice scrubbing when he takes his bath, make sure all that gunk is removed. 

Well aware of the voltage too since I've followed your restoration process back in the old Stax thread and on HC. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #250 of 25,533
Sep 3, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #251 of 25,533
Quote:
 Bah i also forgot to ask a couple of questions myself. I have the SRM T1 Amp. Firstly what mods if any are recommended and doe anyone have a schematic or manual for it? Can you have two pairs of phones plugged in at the same time. eg 1 normal bias and 1 pro or 2 pros? Lastly as its in my hifi rig should i place it before my passive pre or after?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

You can plug in more than 1 headphones. I never tried 3 at the same time though, but that is purely because I am out of space on my desk not the capabilty of the amp.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #252 of 25,533
if you're trying to drive the mk1 it's been discussed at length that none of the standard retail amplifiers will work all that well. probably one of the most common questions asked with respect to stax amplifiers - one which also I'm guilty of hammering as well.

that being said if you can build one of the amplifiers to properly drive them you shouldn't have much problem liquidating your equipment if it doesn't pan out properly. there would also be no limiting factor affecting your decision (like underpowered amplification ). From what has been discussed it seems like throwing the kgsshv output stage onto a (used) 727? might be fairly economical and tractable with respect to proper drive.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #253 of 25,533

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #254 of 25,533
Quote:
Just a heads up. I bought a pair of SR407 Lambdas as faulty the left ear speaker having a channel imbalance issue and distortion. I bought them mainly to use the headband for an original pair of Lambda normal bias phones I purchased recently. Anyway after a few phone calls and establishing the 407s would be uneconomic to repair i had a bit of a play round with them. I tried charging them for a day or two with no result so i opened them up and carefully disassembled the driver. Long story short after a few attempts tightening the little nut and cleaning contacts assembling and disassembling i had no joy. I then tried the following however i don't know which of these did the trick as i did them at the same time. I cleaned up and tightened the nut and bolt that attaches to the copper colored oval holding the Mylar. I also pressed down the little tabs that connect the soldered wire joints to the stators. Lastly i flipped the Mylar assembled over so i t was back to front and duly re assembled. Plugged them in and everything is hunky dory glorious sound no imbalance.

I just thought id share this and would be happy to give a more detailed description if anyone fancies giving this a try. on a knackered out of warranty pair.

Thanks for sharing but I'm not surprised the new modular drivers are giving people issues. 

Quote:
 Bah i also forgot to ask a couple of questions myself. I have the SRM T1 Amp. Firstly what mods if any are recommended and doe anyone have a schematic or manual for it? Can you have two pairs of phones plugged in at the same time. eg 1 normal bias and 1 pro or 2 pros? Lastly as its in my hifi rig should i place it before my passive pre or after?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Here is the schematic:

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/stax_srm-t1.jpg

Only mods that I would do is replacing all the electrolytic caps in the unit and rebias the tubes.  You can rewire the socket for ECC99's but you need to keep an eye on the transformer and the filaments to make sure it isn't overheating due to the extra current draw. 

Two phones aren't a problem and I'd place it before a passive pre. 

Quote:
SRD-X Pro help:

I posted some pictures previously regarding this SRD-X Pro that was shipped to me working (red light on) but arrived non-functional. Unfortunately those pictures were, as Spitzer put it, useless and of poor resolution/orientation. I've taken these with a Canon EOS, so hopefully someone with an SRD-X Pro can tell me where the black wire (probably a ground?) goes. It is the wire that I'm holding in the third picture.

Those are better but I'm still not sure where the wire should go.  Black is probably ground but I'd need to see the back of the PCB to be sure.  Being ground it can only go to so many spots, DC input, the batter connector in the bay, volume control, power on LED etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back