The Stax Thread III
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #25,366 of 25,610
Can't really compare them to other stax but i'm really not surprised
i'm still blown away with my stax lambda signature (SR-407) even after listening 5-7 hours a day.

I did tried many planars though from audeze and hifiman and I ended up keeping the hifiman HE6 V2 which I preferred over the HE1000 stealth, HE1000 V2 and Susvara.
Susvara was better yes a bit more refined and had this natural/soft way of presenting things.
HE6 V2 sounded very close to Susvara and I really liked the bass impact of the HE6, for only fraction of the price.

I will still keep my hifiman HE6 (I think) because it can do a full octave lower in the lowest bass notes.

Other than that the lambda signature (SR-407) outperforms the HE6 V2 in every possible way, it makes the HE6 almost sounds veiled and unclear.

I think you are conflating some names.

Older generation Lambdas:
SR-Lambda
SR-Lambda Professional
SR-Lambda Signature
Lambda Nova Basic
Lambda Nova Classic
Lamba Nova Signature
SR-202 Basic
SR-303 Classic
SR-404 Signature
SR-207 Basic
SR-307 Classic
SR-407 Signature
SR-507

The Stax Lambda Signature is a completely different headphone than the 407 Signature.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #25,367 of 25,610
I think you are conflating some names.

Older generation Lambdas:
SR-Lambda
SR-Lambda Professional
SR-Lambda Signature
Lambda Nova Basic
Lambda Nova Classic
Lamba Nova Signature
SR-202 Basic
SR-303 Classic
SR-404 Signature
SR-207 Basic
SR-307 Classic
SR-407 Signature
SR-507

The Stax Lambda Signature is a completely different headphone than the 407 Signature.
Thank for te info my bad, I have the SR-407 signature how different does it sound to the SR lambda signature?
Just out of curiosity

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #25,368 of 25,610
Thank for te info my bad, I have the SR-407 signature how different does it sound to the SR lambda signature?
Just out of curiosity
407 is respectable and not far off. It’s one of the last of the more “balanced” lambda models.

Most find the tone of the LNS superior out of all the lambdas but the LS, 404 and 407 are all good in their own respect.

Sr-lambda nb is the “holy crap” headphone but bright and relentless. Sr-lambda pro, unfortunately loses the magic of the NB and doubles down on the brightness.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #25,369 of 25,610
Just out of curiosity
It's a lot more 'interesting' headphone than the SR-407
I think it's one of the best (most characterful, "magical") and I'd like to have one yet again - but I am not alone with that thinking...

But one of my friends bought one recently with a good setup and he said it was (or that copy was) absolute crap.

More here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/initial-impressions-of-the-stax-sr-lambda-signature.315821/

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #25,370 of 25,610
Is there any way to know if your energizer is causing arcing without completely taking apart the headphone or amp? I keep getting this weird earache in my left ear when I use my SRM-007t that I can't figure out.

Earache in right ear while watching a movie tells me it was some random thing that I still can't identify. Correlation is still not causation

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #25,371 of 25,610
Is there any way to know if your energizer is causing arcing without completely taking apart the headphone or amp? I keep getting this weird earache in my left ear when I use my SRM-007t that I can't figure out.
Cases I’ve heard of arcing created holes in the drivers - I don’t think it would show up as an earache but would like to know the answer as well lol

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #25,372 of 25,610
Cases I’ve heard of arcing created holes in the drivers - I don’t think it would show up as an earache but would like to know the answer as well lol
Lol its my best guess at what could be causing it cause otherwise I'm stumped.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #25,373 of 25,610
Did anyone else notice there were 64 people watching this thread a moment ago?...

Edit: This screenshot I took shows 63 and then it quickly fell to 22, asking cuz this sorta weirds me out.. usually there's a pattern of how many users are lurking a given thread, makes more sense for a bigger jump when a new product gets announced but this is just our regularly scheduled programme... It makes me wonder if a compromised device can possibly show more users when someone's viewing said thread but that's reaching I admit.

Attachments

• Hoooow_though_question_mark.jpg
    Hoooow_though_question_mark.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #25,374 of 25,610
Lol its my best guess at what could be causing it cause otherwise I'm stumped.
Has this been happening for a long period of time? Is it possible you have an ear infection/sinus./impacted wax etc etc
Could also be that there is extremely high pitch distortion happening in the left channel that is beyond the 20k range (or at a level that isn't easy to hear like 19k). Might mean a tube is blowing out?

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #25,375 of 25,610
Has this been happening for a long period of time? Is it possible you have an ear infection/sinus./impacted wax etc etc
Could also be that there is extremely high pitch distortion happening in the left channel that is beyond the 20k range (or at a level that isn't easy to hear like 19k). Might mean a tube is blowing out?
Went to the doctor when I first noticed it and they said the were wax was a little built up but normal.
I kinda of rotate through my headphones and have been really busy for the past couple weeks but every time I get back to 007t the earache comes back.
The idea of a tube blowing out makes the most sense to me given the age and the fact that I have no idea how it was treated. Not sure if it matters but mine was on a different voltage when I got it (switched via the voltage selector on the back)

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #25,376 of 25,610
Went to the doctor when I first noticed it and they said the were wax was a little built up but normal.
I kinda of rotate through my headphones and have been really busy for the past couple weeks but every time I get back to 007t the earache comes back.
The idea of a tube blowing out makes the most sense to me given the age and the fact that I have no idea how it was treated. Not sure if it matters but mine was on a different voltage when I got it (switched via the voltage selector on the back)
Swap the interconnect channels (plug the left into the right of the source) for a session. If you get the ear ache in the opposite ear you know something weird is happening with the system and not your body.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #25,377 of 25,610
Swap the interconnect channels (plug the left into the right of the source) for a session. If you get the ear ache in the opposite ear you know something weird is happening with the system and not your body.
You mean from my dac into the 007t? Its the same d AC running into my two other amps via an RCA switcher so its not the dac

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #25,378 of 25,610
Put on the headphone the "wrong way" i.e. L-R reversed and see if it is then audible on the other ear. Then you know if it is your ear or the headphones! IF it is the headphones, then it would be good to send them in for revision or to a guy who knows how to repair them. I have a guy here who does that, but I live in Germany...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #25,380 of 25,610
Put on the headphone the "wrong way" i.e. L-R reversed and see if it is then audible on the other ear. Then you know if it is your ear or the headphones! IF it is the headphones, then it would be good to send them in for revision or to a guy who knows how to repair them. I have a guy here who does that, but I live in Germany...
I'll try switching the cables on the L500mk2 first then use my 404LE backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back