The Stax Thread III
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #25,337 of 25,528
That was NOT DONE by Mr Rauenbühler from what I know, he THEN sold Kits that DIYers could assemble themselves - and THIS IT WAS THEN!!
He does not do that anymore since years, so this is NOT REPRESENTATIVE for his current series of Amplifiers for Stax headphones
nor for the quality of his work...

SIRIUS V10:

Offer_Sirius_V10_Front.jpg

Offer_Sirius_V10_Back.jpg

Offer_Sirius_V10_Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #25,338 of 25,528
That was NOT DONE by Mr Rauenbühler, he THEN sold Kits that DIYers could assemble themselves - and THIS IT WAS THEN!!
He does not do that anymore since years, so this is NOT REPRESENTATIVE for his current series of Amplifiers for Stax headphones
nor for the quality of his work...

SIRIUS V10:

Offer_Sirius_V10_Front.jpg

Offer_Sirius_V10_Back.jpg

Offer_Sirius_V10_Inside.jpg
The plot thickens...

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #25,339 of 25,528
I'm waiting for a pair of SR-009 to arrive with an SRM-007TA. I'm reading lots of posts about amps and worrying that I'm going to be disappointed!
I currently have SR-404 and an SRM-006TII and was hoping for a significant upgrade from the new kit.
What's the likely reality?

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #25,340 of 25,528
I'm waiting for a pair of SR-009 to arrive with an SRM-007TA. I'm reading lots of posts about amps and worrying that I'm going to be disappointed!
I currently have SR-404 and an SRM-006TII and was hoping for a significant upgrade from the new kit.
...that you will be very happy with your set as the 009 is quite easy to drive!! :wink:

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #25,341 of 25,528
You can see the 009 values are down the drain, at some point they might start to back up a bit, if supply reduces.
You've gotta ask yourself: is it because is the deal of the century (cost a lot more to manufacture than a 007 yet it is almost cheaper now) or is it something else.

I seriously do not understand people who buy anything, then ask while waiting. You've made your decision, hopefully you will like it. At least listen first, and then ask...
Also you need to define what "upgrade" is. It really depends on what is the main element of a "good" sound and people will vary wildly on that.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #25,342 of 25,528
You can see the 009 values are down the drain, at some point they might start to back up a bit, if supply reduces.
You've gotta ask yourself: is it because is the deal of the century (cost a lot more to manufacture than a 007 yet it is almost cheaper now) or is it something else.

I seriously do not understand people who buy anything, then ask while waiting. You've made your decision, hopefully you will like it. At least listen first, and then ask...
Also you need to define what "upgrade" is. It really depends on what is the main element of a "good" sound and people will vary wildly on that.
I understand the concept of try before you buy, but it's not that easy with second hand equipment. I'm happy with the deal I got for these items and take comfort that if they don't work out for me I will be able to sell them on without taking much of a hit.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #25,346 of 25,528
Actually when I bought STAX Set (a LNS + T1W amplifier) in the 80s, I was happy as can be - but there were no "forums" then, just friends to talk about it.
Now however whatever you get or have is immediately "questioned" as there is always someone having an "opinion" of what is "better"....

And exactly that destroys the pleasure ... comparison!

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #25,347 of 25,528
I understand the concept of try before you buy, but it's not that easy with second hand equipment. I'm happy with the deal I got for these items and take comfort that if they don't work out for me I will be able to sell them on without taking much of a hit.
Bought 009 past year. I have no regrets at all. Of course you need a good chain to appreciate this headphone

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #25,348 of 25,528
Actually when I bought STAX Set (a LNS + T1W amplifier) in the 80s, I was happy as can be - but there were no "forums" then, just friends to talk about it.
Now however whatever you get or have is immediately "questioned" as there is always someone having an "opinion" of what is "better"....

And exactly that destroys the pleasure ... comparison!
There is a fine line. But if people had access to do comparisons undistracted for a certain amount of time, they would have their eureka moments for sure.
That's why I wrote that story, it was 3 hours including storytime, he was completely shell-shocked how it was Not like how it was written on a forums he had read about and with those recommendations.
Not everyone is that lucky.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #25,349 of 25,528
@Tyler Durden: You started this. :wink:

I bought a pre-owned SR-009 two? years ago and my expectations were sky high. Wow! My first TOP OF THE LINE headphones (ok previous TOTL) headphones!
....and I was quite dissapointed when I first heard the SR-009 because I thought, well nice, maybe very nice, but still sounds "more or less" like any other headphones I had at this time (HE1kV2, Focal Clear OG, Dan Clark Noire). I was so naive to think, ok a former 5.5?k€ headphone had to sound as not from this earth, as something truely enlightning. I know that was totally silly but that sometimes the brain works (or maybe only mine :wink: ).

Now, I still have the SR-009 and I love them. They are my go to headphones for detailed, open sound and they are also super comfy for me. They always fight with the HE1kV2 (similar type of sound signature, for me) for play time and most times win. :)
For me the SR-009 costs now about what they are worth compared to other more current headphones, no way I would have paid the original price.

So I think you are in for a treat. :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #25,350 of 25,528
For sr009/sr009s , you only need a stax tube amp for eg srm700t , srm 500t or T1S , 007t/ii ,any one of them is fine. Based on my experience, Mjolnir audio range of amps ,though very good and powerful , are not suitable for 009/s imo.

For source id recommend r2r dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back