The Stax Thread III
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #25,306 of 25,529
1000016421.jpg
Since 3 weeks i own a High-Amp Polaris V3 to drive my SR-X9000. It's a real powerhouse of a solid state amp with 610 Vrms and 1720 Vss.
It surpasses my Mjölnir Carbon in some disciplines like resolution, pin point localisation and even the depth of bass and bass punch is at least as good or better. It is an amp for plankton and soundstage in combination with great bass lovers and from my subjective view a great match with the SR-X9000.
It does take a little bit of the mellow or romantic touch in the mids in the combination of SR-X9000 and Carbon and opens up the mids and super high treble.
An amazing amp :)

I googled this and didn't see where you can order it. Got a link?

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #25,307 of 25,529
My next amp is probably from high-amp. My headphone is 009. I will ask to the builder wich amp for my model...

Well according to the Internet pretty much any amp can drive the 009, its only the 007 and CRBN that need massive amounts of power.

Ofc depends on who you talk too.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #25,308 of 25,529
My next amp is probably from high-amp. My headphone is 009. I will ask to the builder wich amp for my model...
As the 009 is easy to drive you could start with an Antares, which is a popular combination.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #25,309 of 25,529
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #25,310 of 25,529
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #25,311 of 25,529
You find pictures on high-amp.de
Not of the builds internally it’s just photos of the cases unless I’m missing something.

The schematics posted are not looking good to me at all.
Here… on the Sirius V4.5 at first glance.

The power supply section appears to lack any fuses or inrush current limiting. The input stage around T51 and SA970 is directly coupled to the high voltage supply rail. Some form of input protection, like series resistors or clamping diodes, is needed. Bias voltages for the output stage don't have much filtering/decoupling. really need some capacitance to help stabilize the bias points and reduce noise. The output coupling capacitors C66 look quite small in value (10uF) - might influence low frequency response.

KgssHV in comparison has legit input protection - diodes (D11, D12) and series resistors (R46, R47) - so real protect the input stage from overvoltage conditions. This was completely absent in the Sirius design.
Kgsshv also has much Improved power supply decoupling. There are several LED-resistor combinations (like D1/R5, D2/R8 etc.) which act as voltage drops and provide better supply rail decoupling and voltage distribution.

Current sources for front-end: Q19A/B along with R48/49 act as constant current sources to bias the input differential pair Q17/18. This should give better linearity than the simpler resistor biasing in Sirius.

Cascoded input stage: Q15/16 act as cascode devices for the input diff pair, which improves bandwidth and reduces Miller capacitance effects compared to the simpler differential pair in Sirius.

Kgsshv has more extensive use of local feedback: Several transistor combinations like Q11/Q12/R17 employ local feedback to stabilize gain and bias points.

(also for builder purposes kgsshv has adj bias controls because the potentiometers RV1-4 allow for fine tuning of bias voltages.)

Yeah… people need to be careful of just going off a random review of an amp sounding better. These high voltage amps have legitimate risks.

Attachments

• IMG_3862.jpeg
    IMG_3862.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 0
  • kgsshv.PDF
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #25,313 of 25,529
He’s not a competitor to Kevin Gilmore designs or what “Spritzer” or other known builders build…no worries, as he is mainly active on the German market :wink:

And we all know how “crappy engineered” German producs are: BMW, Mercedes, Porsche… :LOL:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #25,314 of 25,529
Buhu, someone is challenging the almighty Carbon and someone who has never heard a Polaris uses old schematics of another amp of this manufacturer to question the review of a user who has heard both amps…..

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #25,315 of 25,529
Don’t start a war here. Not worth it!

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #25,316 of 25,529
Buhu, someone is challenging the almighty Carbon and someone who has never heard a Polaris uses old schematics of another amp of this manufacturer to question the review of a user who has heard both amps…..
There are clear safety issues with all of the amps from this designer/builder. One of their models (see below) they shaved the transformer just to fit the box - I understand most people here don’t care about the issues with the engineering but these are unacceptable problems that can cause a fire.

IMG_3863.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #25,317 of 25,529
And we all know how “crappy engineered” German producs are: BMW, Mercedes, Porsche… :LOL:

how many $300k porsche's burned to the ground when their engines siezed due to piston bolts coming loose?
how many porsche's turn into rustbuckets when they are 5 years old.

my C8 is rustproof. and 1/3 the price. gotta love the carbon fiber and polycarbonate body.

with respect to the picture above, absolutely no reason not to mount the pot upside down. then no hotglue is necessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back