The Stax Thread III
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #25,021 of 25,560
The dimensions don't match an SR-X (the naming might), it's just an image to show the evolution over the years.
Probably isn't exactly an SR-007 Mk3 as such, but it will probably slot in that position, has the double-piece headband like that, too.
More expensive than a Lambda, less expensive than a 009S and X9000, we already know from Hifiman, 'Jr' does not mean 'cheap'.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #25,022 of 25,560
The dimensions don't match an SR-X (the naming might), it's just an image to show the evolution over the years.
Probably isn't exactly an SR-007 Mk3 as such, but it will probably slot in that position, has the double-piece headband like that, too.
More expensive than a Lambda, less expensive than a 009S and X9000, we already know from Hifiman, 'Jr' does not mean 'cheap'.
I don't disagree but I'm thinking more and more about it and I don't see why they would discontinue the 007 given it's been their most profitable headphone and gone strong for 26 years. They did stop making the 009 but thats because they basically made the mk2 of it as the 009s. The lambda line has been strong since the 70s.

I think this slots as a 4070 /sr-x type headphone. probably easier to drive thus the srm-2xx paring.

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #25,023 of 25,560
I don't disagree but I'm thinking more and more about it and I don't see why they would discontinue the 007 given it's been their most profitable headphone and gone strong for 26 years. They did stop making the 009 but thats because they basically made the mk2 of it as the 009s. The lambda line has been strong since the 70s.

I think this slots as a 4070 /sr-x type headphone. probably easier to drive thus the srm-2xx paring.
I do think the Stax lineup needs some sorting out but getting rid of the 007 while keeping the 009 doesn't make sense with the X9000 around.

A pro-oriented Stax though would be great

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #25,024 of 25,560
I do think the Stax lineup needs some sorting out but getting rid of the 007 while keeping the 009 doesn't make sense with the X9000 around.

A pro-oriented Stax though would be great
Logically, having a headphone priced between the l700 and the 007 , or matching the 007, probably doesn't drive that much business. If anything it takes away from the 009/x9000 sales.

But.. if you have a completely different purpose headphone, then you can sell the TOTL buyers another one.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #25,025 of 25,560
It's announced!

I was spot on, new entry level round Stax
1000015455.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #25,026 of 25,560
Rough translation:
"A new entry model based on the tradition of the small circular earspeakers (SR-1 and SR-X) with modern design concepts.
Equipped with a newly designed transducer that has flat and neutral response. Mechanically, it uses a detachable cable. New arc design and improved fit made out of metal in the frame structure suppresses unnecessary resonance. The earpads are made of soft sheepskin."

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #25,027 of 25,560
I dont like the cup design that much but I love the headband assembly design, very much like the old Stax and actually much more comfortable and nice than it looks.

Given a flat and neutral response it's definitely meant as a sucessor to the original SR-X, so pro-oriented too.

That and it will replace the, frankly awful SRS-3100 system, and that the smaller driver would be much easier to power by a small amp than a lambda means is Stax actually making a sensible decision for once?

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #25,028 of 25,560
Is there a link to that announcement post? I don't see it yet on stax.co.jp.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #25,030 of 25,560
Pads that work for me tend to have smaller ear cavities, I think that helps to make the 007 work with smaller amps.

Interesting I like pads with bigger ear cavities. After they refurbished it my LCD-2 fazor used to dig into my ear a bit, I put the non-vegan pads on and OMG the bass! It really transforms the LCD-2 giving the planar driver a little bit of breathing room.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #25,031 of 25,560
It's announced!

I was spot on, new entry level round Stax1000015455.jpg

[Location]
Station Conference Tokyo 603

[Product on display]
Ear speaker model number: SR-X1 (tentative)

[Product features]
A new entry model that rebuilt the traditional small round ear speaker with modern design concepts. Heritage design with motif of successive ear speakers, SR-1 and SR-X. Equipped with a newly designed unit that has flat and neutral reproducibility. Mechanically, it uses a re-cable structure. New arc design and improved fit The use of metal material in the frame structure suppresses unnecessary resonance. The ear pads are made of soft sheepskin.

[Product on display]
Set model model number: SRS-X1000 (tentative)
*Successor to the entry set model SRS-3100

[Product features]
SRS-X1000 is a set that combines the SR-X1 with the newly developed small driver unit SRM-270S . Updated with a higher quality RCA pin jack, 3mm thick front aluminum panel, and an extruded aluminum case with increased size and improved heat dissipation. The latest design know-how from recent driver unit development is condensed into a compact housing.

Since we would like as many people as possible to listen to the preview, we will unfortunately limit the listening time to 15 minutes at a time. We look forward to seeing you there.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #25,032 of 25,560
Interesting I like pads with bigger ear cavities. After they refurbished it my LCD-2 fazor used to dig into my ear a bit, I put the non-vegan pads on and OMG the bass! It really transforms the LCD-2 giving the planar driver a little bit of breathing room.
Well, different headphones need different pads. Deep ear cavities are ok (makes the sound more V-like), but wide cavities seem to tilt the sound upwards.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #25,033 of 25,560
Finally STAX releases a more normal looking entry level headphone for the first time in decades. Lambdas do have some charm but they so ugly and wack looking.

Build seems to be a bit better, yokes look like metal, which is nice to see.

I do wonder how these will sound, and hope they go back to something like the old STAX pre 1995 bankruptcy natural sound signatures. And I'd prefer actually if they go back to a tuning more like 3/New 3/5/5N rather than the actual SR X line. Look at how well something as old as the SR 3 measures and go all the way to the Omega which got pretty close to diffuse field without the equalizer units. Compare with the baffling departure in signature with the 007 lol (same with the 009 but at least the frequency response decisions made some more sense to create a sense of "hifiness" which better suits the STAX brand compared to whatever the heck was happening with the 007... good riddance to that phone lol)

1706899827481.png

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #25,035 of 25,560
If they can sell the package for under $600 this will be my new “gift to friends” I want to get into the hobby. Cant wait !
I suspect it's going to be closer to $1000. I hope I'm wrong, though! I just got a used SRS-3100 set from eBay for $513 total with tax and my friend has it currently and is demoing it. I told him about this new system -- now that he his hooked and said he is doomed to buy a Stax setup at some point, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back