The Stax Thread III
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #24,946 of 25,560
Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock 007 pads? 100mm diameter?

I'm looking into multiple pads from different vendors and they are asking the exact measurements but Stax doesn't have that on their site. Anyone know?

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #24,947 of 25,560
Can you do the same with the Stax 717?

that is a great deal of work. i already had the t1 simulation done many moons ago. and all the spice models that go with it. for the 717, i don't have a model for the output transistors. and unlikely to find good ones.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #24,948 of 25,560
Yep, these SPICE simulations are a huge pain in the butt to do lol (personally never done one just worked with some people who had to). Probably easiest to measure the amps, but the equipment requirements are somewhat onerous but more importantly the test methodology needed for electrostatic amps is just not clear to many (for pointers for those so inclined see @kevin gilmore's own guidance in some of the other places as well as the Nectar Sound thing)

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #24,949 of 25,560
Before I decided to finally get into estats I was going to get a Susvara, anyone have the 007/current Lambda and can compare it to the Susvara?

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #24,950 of 25,560
Before I decided to finally get into estats I was going to get a Susvara, anyone have the 007/current Lambda and can compare it to the Susvara?
All just my own opinions of course, the Susvara:

-resolution is about equivalent to L300/L500 and less than L700 and 007
-imaging is better than L300/L500 and about equivalent to L700 and 007
-layering (if you consider that separate from imaging) is better than all the Lambda and about equivalent to 007
-speed is worse than all of the Staxen but not by much, it is a very fast planar, not like Audeze goo
-soundstage is much larger than the Lambda and somewhat larger than the 007
-bass is significantly better than everything other than a well-amped 007, where it is equivalent in quantity and texture
-mids are tonally much more neutral and stronger than any of the Staxen because modern Lambda have the 1.5khz shout wonkiness and 007 is quite dark even when amped well. You can get used to these sonic profiles or EQ them to fix them up but ultimately the Susvara has the better tuning in the mids out the gate
-treble is high-quality but not as airy as any of the Staxen, however if the 007 is underamped the Susvara does have better treble

The Susvara is a statement piece for planar technology but ultimately, I believe on a technical level most good electrostats (even ones that are significantly cheaper) will trade blows with it. It does, however, have an excellent, coherent tuning and is quite musical and pleasing. This might be a controversial opinion but I consider that "X factor" the best quality of the good Hifiman models, Sundara, Ananda, HE1000, Susvara - they are very well-tuned, very engaging. The HE1000se is my favorite non-electrostat headphone, it is basically a more forward-sounding Susvara with some slightly diminished technical prowess, similar to my preference for the Lambda and 009 over the 007 or X9000.

That being said I would go for electrostats instead, there are electrostat sets that are also very euphonic and pleasing, and when combined with the technical advantages of electrostat technology I think they are pretty much peerless as far as headphones are concerned. Honestly, I think Hifiman would probably agree with that statement as well given that their true flagship is the Shangri-La and not the Susvara.

Now you can also have an electrostatic Susvara anyway, as soon as I put on the X9000 I immediately thought "Stax made the Susvara," it is basically the Susvara except with more clarity, speed, and resolution, at least that's what my ears heard :)

You would be very happy with the Susvara but at the end of the day, as I said above I would personally invest into the estat ecosystem instead.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #24,951 of 25,560
Even a Sennheiser employee said in one of their tech videos that electrostatic transducers are the closest to the theoretical ideal transducer (ideal is having no moving mass and perfectly planar pistonic motion). Hence they still use electrostatic tech while skipping planar magnetic.

On the Susvara comparison, I had my L700mk2 and the Susvara at the same demo, but alas I didn't compare them directly. I compared L700 with the X9K and the Susvara with the X9K. I agree with the above comment regarding the Sus vs X9K: Susvara is the most estat-like planar magnetic and has a good tuning. I personally think it sounds the most like the SGL Jr. The X9K has some similarities, but is more forward/intimate in its vocal/midrange presentation while the Sus is a bit more relaxed in that area with sound elements seeming further away. Susvara also has a bit more sub-bass "whomp" on bass notes. X9K wins in all of the technicalities, better layering, more perceived detail, slightly larger soundstage.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #24,952 of 25,560
The X9K has some similarities, but is more forward/intimate in its vocal/midrange presentation while the Sus is a bit more relaxed in that area with sound elements seeming further away.
Agreed and that quality of the X9000 is probably my favorite thing about it, it is insane how present and intimate vocals can be while the entire image is so diffuse. In my experience, other very diffuse headphones - HD800, SR1A, K1000, Susvara (not as diffuse as the others) etc - they can throw very far but can't flip and bring vocals quite directly into your head the way the X9000 can. That whole "effect" or whatever you want to call it, is really the X9000's secret sauce in my eyes, it does that better than any headphone I've heard.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #24,953 of 25,560
The HE1000se is my favorite non-electrostat headphone, it is basically a more forward-sounding Susvara with some slightly diminished technical prowess, similar to my preference for the Lambda and 009 over the 007 or X9000.

When my Arya V2 died after 3.5 years I was thinking of getting an HE1000se but Hifiman offered me an amazing deal on an Arya Organic if I sent in my Arya V2, its very similar to the latest HE1000 from what others told me so I went for it, I am not sure if the Arya Organic and the HE1000se use the same driver but the housing and other components but the Arya Organic sounds great especially in games glad I picked it up for so cheap.

Also its interesting you listed the L700 as more detailed then the L300/L500, I thought the L700 was more laid back then the L300/L500 and not as detailed but had a more V-shaped tuning. Its one of the reasons I got the L500 over the L700. I read a very detailed post explaining how the L700 had less detail then the L300. Everyone has their own opinion I guess.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #24,954 of 25,560

Loot of great info in the last few posts, but just mentioning that tonally, the Susvara is quite different than the 007. I would say the L300 is more of a traditional representation of what people expect from stats. The Susvara is closer to that--airy, great spacing and layering (although not as much as the top stats), with strong midrange presence and vocals.. just with a bit warmer and slightly laid back presentation. Just was mentioning in case you had heard the 007 and was looking for something like it.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #24,955 of 25,560
Loot of great info in the last few posts, but just mentioning that tonally, the Susvara is quite different than the 007. I would say the L300 is more of a traditional representation of what people expect from stats. The Susvara is closer to that--airy, great spacing and layering (although not as much as the top stats), with strong midrange presence and vocals.. just with a bit warmer and slightly laid back presentation. Just was mentioning in case you had heard the 007 and was looking for something like it.

I heard the L700 at a meetup with the Shang Jr.......I preferred the L700 because it had better bass.

I realize owning a headphone and listening for 10 minutes at a meetup aren't the same thing.

Bought the L500 because it's the least popular of the 3 and I wanted something different. I heard it had the same driver as the L300 but I don't know if that's true.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #24,956 of 25,560
Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock 007 pads? 100mm diameter?

I'm looking into multiple pads from different vendors and they are asking the exact measurements but Stax doesn't have that on their site. Anyone know?

Some info here (007 pads have ~104 mm external diameter, 28-30 mm thick in the back, 22-25 mm thick in the front, the opening is about 68 mm, cut on a side). If you search in the forums and on google you'll find more info.

If you can spec ear pads to vendors, I suggest you go with bigger pads filled with lighter foam. For instance use the 009 pads size (109 mm), but if not, make the inner opening min. 70x50 mm, and less thick (about 20 mm in the back, 10-12 mm in the front if your ear/head geometry allows that) - YMMV.

The Headamp replacement pads look better than the originals, but I am not sure they have the same type of foam, which matters a lot.
The foam spec'd by Stax sounds really smooth compared to others.
FWIW, after trying 50+ 3rd party pads, I would use the original Stax pads on almost any headphones, but especially on Stax.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #24,957 of 25,560
FWIW, after trying 50+ 3rd party pads, I would use the original Stax pads on almost any headphones, but especially on Stax.

The problem with the official 007 pads is the driver is too close to my ear for a good seal and the comfort, I have to readjust the headphone every 2 minutes. With the 3rd party pads I got they are WAY more comfortable and also the seal is better.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #24,958 of 25,560
Also its interesting you listed the L700 as more detailed then the L300/L500, I thought the L700 was more laid back then the L300/L500 and not as detailed but had a more V-shaped tuning. Its one of the reasons I got the L500 over the L700. I read a very detailed post explaining how the L700 had less detail then the L300. Everyone has their own opinion I guess.
L300/L500 for sure are more detail forward but I think the better spatial layering on the L700 gives it the edge for me. L300 reveals everything in the track but I find that, especially for stuff like classic jazz, spatial resonances and reverb tails get lost in the more flattened presentation, whereas on the L700 more of these subtle elements get their own space to breathe.

But there is an exchange there because the more layered presentation on the L700 doesn't bring detail immediately forward like the L300 does and I think that does lead to it sounding less detailed as a result.

IMO this tradeoff exists in every Lambda lineup, entry-level models are more detail-forward and engaging, signature-level model is more layered and laid-back. That's partially why I like the 404/LE so much, I think it's the most forward-sounding of the high-end Lambda (have not heard the 507 yet, have one on the way though).

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #24,959 of 25,560
IMO this tradeoff exists in every Lambda lineup, entry-level models are more detail-forward and engaging, signature-level model is more layered and laid-back.
How much of that difference is related to the higher tier Lambda seem to have thicker and more supple pads?

Ive read SR207-SR507 use the same drivers. Ive also read that L300/500 use the same drivers as 207-507, so the differences in sonics are not driver related but tuning from enclosure, pads, driver positioning, etc.

I have a 507 with L500 incoming. Based on what Ive read, I think the L300/500 Lambdas tunings are more to my preferences but of course not without compromises…

It is intriguing how you describe L700. I will get an L700 eventually, and based on what youve said probably leading to selling SR507 and L500.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #24,960 of 25,560
“detail” is a very vague term…

Relating personal experiences in audio is not easy for many reasons beyond my understanding. The language barrier alone is massive but we try to compare notes anyway. Thanks for your notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back