The Stax Thread III
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #24,781 of 25,523
If the X9000 got an S version I don't know where they even have left to go price-wise. I feel like $5-6k is pretty much the final price tier (Utopia, Susvara, X9000 etc) before you get into halo products that are skies-the-limit well into the five figure range. Maybe an actual SR-Omega would end up being cheaper lol.
The 009S had roughly the same MSRP as the 009, which got discounted after the former's release.
So there is some leeway with something that is an update instead of an all-new design, but inflation will always be a factor, so production costs will increase either way, so I don't think there is such a thing as a "final price tier".
Since I don't think they have changed their production methods significantly, which would be necessary to offset the weak currency, higher parts costs, increased wages, transportation costs, stricter regulations, etc.

Selling a 007A/Mk2 now does not bring anywhere near as much profit as an Mk1 did 20+ years ago (where it was more popular anyway in a smaller market, but without dozens of other alternatives - or simply buying one used vs new...).
There is a reason why a Lambda or any of the Hifiman products feel that much cheaper in comparison (even compared to vintage Lambdas).
(And yet, an L-700 Mk2 pricing isn't that far away from the 007A/Mk2, with the next Lambda development, it will essentially move up to that level.)

Same with the amps, they are producing essentially the same things for more money, that's kind of what they have to do to keep afloat. It's not like their sales are going to significantly increase, since they have a lot more competition there as well anyway - not to mention that after a bit of refurbishment, their vintage amps will last a lifetime, too...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #24,782 of 25,523
The D10 has a replacement incoming, the D10mk2 that was shown off at CanJam Dallas. But the 007 being discontinued...
Any information on D10 MK2? How is it different from D10? I bet still uses micro-USB... :jecklinsmile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #24,783 of 25,523
Any information on D10 MK2? How is it different from D10? I bet still uses micro-USB... :jecklinsmile:
Only an impressions post from CanJam Dallas here. They've done the opposite, USB-C for both data and power. That and supposedly an improved power supply are the big differences.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #24,784 of 25,523
Only an impressions post from CanJam Dallas here. They've done the opposite, USB-C for both data and power. That and supposedly an improved power supply are the big differences.
Damn, still 4 hours battery life... But with the separate USB-C port for power, maybe it can be used during charging?

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #24,785 of 25,523
Damn, still 4 hours battery life... But with the separate USB-C port for power, maybe it can be used during charging?
The current D10 can be used during charging too, it just uses a barrel connector instead of USB-C for power input.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #24,786 of 25,523
Ironically enough when I first got into STAX like in 2018 the phone I was sure I was gonna start with was the 007 and I was also interested in the then newly released D10.

The 007A/MK2 had a 16 year lifespan, I think only some of the old STAX models like the original Lambda can claim that kind of longevity?

I don't get it, I would never want to listen to an 007 now though given what is measured/said about its sound from both its promoters and detractors. Looks like sales finally dropped to a level where it stopped being worth it for STAX...

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #24,787 of 25,523
Evaluating based just on measurements that miss a lot of other things (and may not have been taken at the appropriate setting with a headphone very sensitive to fitting....) is an ill-informed way of looking at things.
Always liked Evan Caplinger's ever-detailed Stax reviews, giving a through analysis of the tuning of both 007 Mk1 and Mk2
https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/10/review-stax-sr-007-mk1/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/10/review-stax-sr-007mk2/
I think these convey a lot of what the 007 is actually about.

In contrast, there is also a take on the 009S which is one that I haven't had a chance to test out yet:
https://majorhifi.com/stax-sr-009s-review-the-air-elemental/

There are also reviews about new and old Lambdas worth taking a look at, like the NB, L500 Mk2 and L700 Mk2.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/06/review-stax-sr-lambda/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/04/review-stax-sr-l700-mk2/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/06/review-stax-sr-l500mk2/

What I haven't realised is that not too long ago he had also heard the X9000 in a recent meet:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/04/canjam-nyc-2023-2/
It is fascinating how "objectively better measuring" still does not necessarily translate to "subjectively more enjoyable" (because that's exactly what my feelings were, too...)

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #24,788 of 25,523
sure but the characteristics that the 007 are widely said by others (those who both like and dislike the 007) to have subjectively (which also show up in various measurements) are not for me whatsoever

i have owned the Omega and 009S and didnt consider either of them to be worth keeping eventually but not unhappy at all that i got to listen to them a lot

i still kind of want to listen to the X9000 even if im past the point of suffering megabuck headphone prices

nothing said/measured about the 007 entices me to even want to listen to it beyond perhaps only a curiosity of going through the entire STAX lineup (but there are a few old Lambdas and the SR XMK3 Pro that are even more enticing in terms of their sound)

it is the oddball in the STAX lineup for me

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #24,791 of 25,523
Damn, they deleted all of my posts, even those that weren't related to selling my gear :beyersmile: :thinking: :deadhorse:

Sorry Head-fi mods (I didn't know it wasn't allowed). Don't ban me from this thread please 🤷‍♂️

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #24,792 of 25,523
It's sad to hear that the 007 is being discontinued. A unique stat in the lineup for sure, but definitely have a lot of appreciation for it. If only wanting to listen to the most transparent sound at all times I'd really only have one or two pairs of headphones. I enjoy that the 007 gives a unique contrast to the 009, x9000, etc.

Hopefully the used prices don't shoot up to high. They've been pretty fair for a long time, but everything comes to an end.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #24,793 of 25,523
Regarding used prices, the SR-007 has been in production in some form or another for 25 years, including a decade+ where they were the only flagship offering for Stax (009 was 2011 IIRC?). There are probably several thousand pairs out there, and this hobby isn't all that large, all things considered. I don't think the used prices would go up that much in the short term.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #24,794 of 25,523
Regarding used prices, the SR-007 has been in production in some form or another for 25 years, including a decade+ where they were the only flagship offering for Stax (009 was 2011 IIRC?). There are probably several thousand pairs out there, and this hobby isn't all that large, all things considered. I don't think the used prices would go up that much in the short term.

Again. No confirmation of 007 actually discontinued… but if it was the case, I actually disagree.

The 007 economically presented a TOTL estat option between the lambdas (sub $1k) and the other estats on the market - all of which are 4k+. DC , Audeze, hifiman- they all start at 4k.

With the 007 gone there is now a pricing Vaccum which will likely mean that Stax can move the price of the lambda up 25%. Used 007mk2 will sell for closer to what the mk1 sells for now (1700-2500) and the 71/70 mk1s will likely price above 3000.

This will take until the current 007a/mk2 stock is depleted which will take about 1-2 years.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #24,795 of 25,523
I reached out to Stax this was their response:

STAX
Hi, We are still offering SR-007A (limited quantity) and SR-007MK2. Although SR-007A has been discontinued in manufacturing, STAX is still keeping stock of the spare parts for warranty service until certain years and stock lasts. Also, SR-007A is same as SR-007MK2, except color is silver. SR-007MK2 is still on-going.

Alas, as I suspected. Sr-007 is not discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back