The Stax Thread III
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #24,736 of 25,683
There are clearly delineated camps, and while I think (and in some cases know for sure) that people in other camps/bubbles have better taste and/or hearing than me, I still do hear what I hear in a very consistent way, so I can set my own priorities. Keep that in mind when trusting others' opinions: you(r brain) might happen to want something else, or set the compromise on a different line.

Also, you cannot really skip the journey by asking around: in order to discover what you are looking for (and growing up to), you will very likely consume more than one headphone and amp.

So just start with something that sounds good for you and is within the budget. Life brings up the rest.
Sadly, life would have been so much simpler (and cheaper) if we all could have been told exactly where we would end up in this hobby and skipped the in-between purchases

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #24,737 of 25,683
Sadly, life would have been so much simpler (and cheaper) if we all could have been told exactly where we would end up in this hobby and skipped the in-between purchases
and sadly it is not that simple. together with intermediate purchases, another problem are the amazing reviews where you can never understand the real differences between one product and another. Unfortunately there are few places where one can try and compare. I always had to buy to try and I was disappointed many times

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #24,738 of 25,683
well...enjoy your new amp and report your impressions!!!

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the music and ignore the noise!

Look forward to your thoughts! Please do share once you have had some time to listen. Enjoy your new amp man, its a beauty! I really like the understated black look :)

Thanks for the kind words.

My experience with the electrostatic world is quite limited.

I opted to go straight to the summit to save some time and money on upgrades 😅.

As for the sound, my initial impression was incredibly impressed by the outstanding details and unmatched resolution. It's a whole new level of music experience compared to dynamic and planar headphones.

However, one thing bothering me is the bass; it's even lighter than I expected, although I knew that bass isn't a strong point for electrostatic headphones.

Perhaps I need more time to adapt to this kind of sound signature.

I also have an SR007 on the way, soon to arrive, thanks to @gilency for selling me these. I've heard that headphones and T2 have the best synergy.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #24,739 of 25,683
@Royali read that x9000 has more bass compared to 009 and lambdas...
But in.my experience with 009 sometimes i have no impact bit when the recording is.good i have no complaint about bass impact. Of course is not like a planar

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #24,740 of 25,683
I swore I was done buying energizers or anything else till after the new year .......saw a good deal on eBay..... anyone want to guess what came in the mail earlier today to compliment my T1S?

20231228_103851.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #24,741 of 25,683
Thanks for the kind words.

My experience with the electrostatic world is quite limited.

I opted to go straight to the summit to save some time and money on upgrades 😅.

As for the sound, my initial impression was incredibly impressed by the outstanding details and unmatched resolution. It's a whole new level of music experience compared to dynamic and planar headphones.

However, one thing bothering me is the bass; it's even lighter than I expected, although I knew that bass isn't a strong point for electrostatic headphones.

Perhaps I need more time to adapt to this kind of sound signature.

I also have an SR007 on the way, soon to arrive, thanks to @gilency for selling me these. I've heard that headphones and T2 have the best synergy.
Don't be afraid to try adding a low shelf of some sort via EQ for electrostatics. As long as it isn't massive in terms of boost, every pair I have tried takes it well. It can really help fill out one of the main weak points (in a general sense) of electrostatics, whilst maintaining what they do well. You definitely won't be running out of power with a T2.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #24,742 of 25,683
I want another estat besides my SR-007 mk2 and Koss 95X, I just don't know what road to go down.

Some people say the L500 mk2 is better then the L700 mk2, the ES-1a is also an interesting headphone. I could go all the way to the X9000 but dunno if its any better then the 009s. I only heard it at a meetup for 10-15 minutes.
Another option is the Nectar Sound HiveX, can be had brand new for $650 and it is an excellent 'stat, lots of coherency/body like the 007 and 95X but a little brighter and more forward. Scales well too.

Re: X9k vs 009, as a few people have mentioned already, everyone has their own journey and own taste. I personally did not consider the X9k a strict upgrade to the 009(s), I went through almost every Lambda model before trying any of the Omega flagships and at some point the more direct presentation of the Lambdas really became the magical "Stax sound" for me, the X9k sounds a bit too diffuse and distant to my ears as a result.

The 009(s) is a blessing for me as a Lambda fanboy, it is basically Lambda presentation in an Omega vessel, which I suppose makes sense given its close relation to the L700 (also a top 3 Lambda for me along with the 404/LE and the NB).

But anyway, instead of splashing the cash for the X9k I'd recommend exploring around more. Hell if you want something off the wall, I think there are still a few Sigma of various types available in the classifieds at the moment (not mine unfortunately, it sold a couple weeks ago).
Don't be afraid to try adding a low shelf of some sort via EQ for electrostatics. As long as it isn't massive in terms of boost, every pair I have tried takes it well. It can really help fill out one of the main weak points (in a general sense) of electrostatics, whilst maintaining what they do well. You definitely won't be running out of power with a T2.
Absolutely, that 3db low shelf stays on every unit for me. Sometimes if I'm feeling extra spicy they get the high shelf for treblehead degeneracy as well :joy:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #24,743 of 25,683
Absolutely, that 3db low shelf stays on every unit for me. Sometimes if I'm feeling extra spicy they get the high shelf for treblehead degeneracy as well :joy:

I have a 3db bass boost set on my RME, turn on and off with the toggle of a button. I also use Equalizer APO on my whole system with profiles for every headphone.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #24,744 of 25,683
Just got my KGSSHV (non-carbon) in the mail today to pair with my SR009S. This is a pretty special combo! I belive the Stax hype now. The detail and bass is incredible. Good times, now for some listening.

PS, I need a bigger office for all my audio gear!

1000025144.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #24,746 of 25,683
Just got my KGSSHV (non-carbon) in the mail today to pair with my SR009S. This is a pretty special combo! I belive the Stax hype now. The detail and bass is incredible. Good times, now for some listening.

PS, I need a bigger office for all my audio gear!

1000025144.jpg
No needs for bigger office. With stax sell the rest of collection lol

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #24,747 of 25,683
I got in a Stax 717 today from a reputable store at a good price........some kind of volume thing going on. I adjusted the knobs so the volume was even then suddenly the right speaker got louder while I was wasn't touching the knob. Then I heard a hum even tho I am running XLR. Quite strange.

Not sure if I should just do a return or see if I can fix it myself.

I'm thinking I should have got an after market Energizer just so I'm not using something 20 years old lol

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #24,748 of 25,683
I got in a Stax 717 today from a reputable store at a good price........some kind of volume thing going on. I adjusted the knobs so the volume was even then suddenly the right speaker got louder while I was wasn't touching the knob. Then I heard a hum even tho I am running XLR. Quite strange.

Not sure if I should just do a return or see if I can fix it myself.

I'm thinking I should have got an after market Energizer just so I'm not using something 20 years old lol
Well just because it’s old doesn’t automatically mean unreliable. The T1S is a 7 year older design than the 717.

Maybe the other 717 that the store had would be easy to swap into?

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #24,749 of 25,683
Well just because it’s old doesn’t automatically mean unreliable. The T1S is a 7 year older design than the 717.

Maybe the other 717 that the store had would be easy to swap into?

They agreed to swap, get this, if I tap hard on the case of the 717 the right channel will like cut in and out and make static. I just think something is loose. I'm not an EE so I am not qualified to solder anything but I wonder if I can just take the case off and push something in place

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #24,750 of 25,683
They agreed to swap, get this, if I tap hard on the case of the 717 the right channel will like cut in and out and make static. I just think something is loose. I'm not an EE so I am not qualified to solder anything but I wonder if I can just take the case off and push something in place
DON'T - especially if you are not experienced, the capacitors (Elkos) inside store DEADLY energy for quite a while even if disconnected, so it might be the last thing you'll ever do in your life...

Give it to an experience TV/Radio mechanic or send it to a STAX distributor to have it repaired!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back