The Stax Thread III
Aug 26, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #22,802 of 25,500
We'll be back on the CanJam tour shortly :)
Thanks Kerry, I can’t wait to hear a T2. Hopefully you’ll be at SoCal next year, otherwise I’m gonna have to fly to Chicago or NYC.

Got a nice little treat in the mail today. An early NB Sigma to go with my ES 404 Sigma. Loving it so far.
8EA9DD4E-A57E-4B9A-ABBF-E239EE71A1AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #22,804 of 25,500
Aug 27, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #22,805 of 25,500
Thanks Kerry, I can’t wait to hear a T2. Hopefully you’ll be at SoCal next year, otherwise I’m gonna have to fly to Chicago or NYC.

Got a nice little treat in the mail today. An early NB Sigma to go with my ES 404 Sigma. Loving it so far.
Yeah… the Sigmas are just special. :)

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #22,806 of 25,500
Aug 27, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #22,807 of 25,500
Latest mod version here with new damping materials. If you find a better sounding Stax phone let me know
Unsure if I want to do anything like this myself, but listening to 007mk1 now on BH, and awaiting a 507/700-hybrid I hope will sound good. A friend did use your method with great success, he claimed, and I believe him. Leaving the dust cover intact, but otherwise following your instructions. I bet he would be as interested as I am in hearing more about your latest endeavors, so please! We await further information!-)

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #22,808 of 25,500
Unsure if I want to do anything like this myself, but listening to 007mk1 now on BH, and awaiting a 507/700-hybrid I hope will sound good. A friend did use your method with great success, he claimed, and I believe him. Leaving the dust cover intact, but otherwise following your instructions. I bet he would be as interested as I am in hearing more about your latest endeavors, so please! We await further information!-)
700 driver in a 507 frame or 507 driver in the 700 frame?

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #22,809 of 25,500

All this talk about the Sigmas has me back on the Sigma Pro again. :) I was on the ES-Sigma (404 drivers) for a few days last week.

Quick question for those with the older Stax earspeakers: no issues hanging the earspeakers by the headband padding like this? I do worry of course about hanging on the plastic arc as they seem rather fragile and I can imagine tensile strength would go after a while.

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #22,810 of 25,500
Quick question for those with the older Stax earspeakers: no issues hanging the earspeakers by the headband padding like this? I do worry of course about hanging on the plastic arc as they seem rather fragile and I can imagine tensile strength would go after a while.
the NB Sigmas have reminded my why I love NB Lambdas so much and has been my favorite headphone since I got them. I don’t need two sigmas and have listed the 404 Sigmas for sale because the NBs just agree with me a little more (much more mid-focused, sweeter than the 404, etc.).

As for your question it’s a good one and I’d love to hear others thoughts. I think best practice is to NOT do what i do and rest the Plastic, not the band. Neither feel right to me, tbh and I can replace a headband easier or cheaper than a fraMe so I so what I do.

Interestingly, these NB Sigmas came with their own purpose built stand. I’d never seen this before and even after searching it I still don’t see any blue versions so I think the brown fuzz burnt off mine.
6B94AB18-C25E-4E06-AC75-FA699E262F7E.jpeg

Honestly a perfect stand because neither the band nor the plastic frame touched it and there are carve outs for the cable connector area. Came with original manual too, I love those little bits.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #22,811 of 25,500
the NB Sigmas have reminded my why I love NB Lambdas so much and has been my favorite headphone since I got them. I don’t need two sigmas and have listed the 404 Sigmas for sale because the NBs just agree with me a little more (much more mid-focused, sweeter than the 404, etc.).

As for your question it’s a good one and I’d love to hear others thoughts. I think best practice is to NOT do what i do and rest the Plastic, not the band. Neither feel right to me, tbh and I can replace a headband easier or cheaper than a fraMe so I so what I do.

Interestingly, these NB Sigmas came with their own purpose built stand. I’d never seen this before and even after searching it I still don’t see any blue versions so I think the brown fuzz burnt off mine.
Honestly a perfect stand because neither the band nor the plastic frame touched it and there are carve outs for the cable connector area. Came with original manual too, I love those little bits.
Thanks for sharing. I am curious: is NB another company that makes replicas of Sigma?

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #22,812 of 25,500
Thanks for sharing. I am curious: is NB another company that makes replicas of Sigma?
no, NB just means Normal Bias (230v instead of 580v), 6 pin instead of 5 pin. These are Stax products pre-1980 or so.

I listened to the ES 404 Sigmas out of the Pro bias tap and the Stax NBs out of the Normal on both my Electra and 006t and the volume was near identical, which may only be interesting to me but it was nice to have both connected and be able to switch between.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #22,813 of 25,500

I wish I had the original stand for my Sigmas but the Stax HPS-1does a good job. IMO the balance of the Sigmas requires something with a vertical support in the center like the original stand it came with or the HPS-1.

The ES-Sigma L700 doesn’t have the same earcup balance woes so a wider range of headphone stands are acceptable.

All this talk about the Sigmas has me back on the Sigma Pro again. :) I was on the ES-Sigma (404 drivers) for a few days last week.

All my headphones are strap hangers, not frame hangers.

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #22,815 of 25,500
no, NB just means Normal Bias (230v instead of 580v), 6 pin instead of 5 pin. These are Stax products pre-1980 or so.

I listened to the ES 404 Sigmas out of the Pro bias tap and the Stax NBs out of the Normal on both my Electra and 006t and the volume was near identical, which may only be interesting to me but it was nice to have both connected and be able to switch between.
Ah OK! Oooh… Yes, I have read about normal bias Sigma being produced from 1977… Not seen any of them around though. From your description, it seems that the Sigma Pros are tuned similarly. At least the one which I have. Which is why I likely will keep both the Sigma and the ES-Sigma (404 drivers) for different tuning. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back