The Stax Thread III
Aug 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #22,816 of 25,487
Been listening to the normal bias SR-X Mk3, courtesy of @spritzer . Gosh! This pair of earspeakers are so sweet! And the mids… 😱

Now seriously pondering the SR-3 and SR-4 that I spy on Mjolnir Audio… If this is what normal bias has to offer. :)

DE8F7F64-8E5D-4356-9839-967233DA3401.jpeg

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #22,817 of 25,487
Quick question for those with the older Stax earspeakers: no issues hanging the earspeakers by the headband padding like this? I do worry of course about hanging on the plastic arc as they seem rather fragile and I can imagine tensile strength would go after a while.
I have 3 lambdas, I handle them very carefully ... almost always with two hands ... in recognition of their age, and hang them by the leather strap or just lay them on their side, on a foam pad. Never hang them by the frame.

The leather straps on all three are in good condition. I got them from Spitzer a few years ago, he didn't say but from the look of them I think he may have replaced the straps.

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #22,818 of 25,487
507 in 700. The claim is a forward 700 meeting a 507 with soundstage.
It’s nice to see the 507 getting some love. I always thought they were given a bad reputation.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #22,819 of 25,487
Greetings All,

I'm sure this must have been asked and answered somewhere back in the thousands of prior thread pages, but I've not managed to get any solid info yet.

I have a SRM-353X and L-500 Mk1 rig that I'm very satisfied with.
I have used both balanced and single-ended inputs with a variety of sources and frankly enjoy both.

I seem to recall reading that the consensus was that this amp sounds better using SE inputs.
Is there a technical reason for this, or is it simply anecdotal?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #22,820 of 25,487
Need some advice if any of you folks are up to it;

Got me an SR-007, sn 7xxxx, in exceptional condition, original metal case that i've been trying to sell locally without any luck.
(too much money for Greek standards, plus one buffoon that actually insulted me! How's that..)

Give me a nice price to ask for it online? Don't include platform fees or shipping in it.
Not too much, not too little, some ballpark within which both i and prospective buyer would be happy with? Don't know where to ask honestly.
My thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #22,821 of 25,487

Got me an SR-007, sn 7xxxx, in exceptional condition, original metal case that i've been trying to sell locally without any luck.
(too much money for Greek standards, plus one buffoon that actually insulted me! How's that..)

Give me a nice price to ask for it online? Don't include platform fees or shipping in it.
Not too much, not too little, some ballpark within which both i and prospective buyer would be happy with? Don't know where to ask honestly.
My thanks in advance.
Easiest thing to do would be go here:

https://devbrada.com/classifieds/

and search for what they have been listed at recently.

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #22,822 of 25,487
$1500 and you'll have a buyer in a day who thinks it's worth the hassle and risk of shipping an electrostatic from Greece. Or as a backup for when theirs (mine) dies. That assumes it is indeed a Mk1.

I came here to update on my Normal Bias Sigma, which I got last week and have been listening to on an Eddie Current Electra amp with some rolled tubes. As intimated above, the 007 mk1 is my most precious earspeaker but the combo of the NB Sigma with the Electra is my favorite so far and I just can't stop listening to it. I keep coming back to it, all week. It's electrostatic, it's Sfax-sounding but also warm, amber gooey too. I know I'm missing some details, but then some details act like explosions on the sides of buildings if you know what I mean. A very structured but 3d stage. I'm going to listen to them for the next week or so (probably exclusively) and then go back to the mk1. They're so similar yet different, all I can compare it to is a yin yang symbol. A liquid amber yin yang.

The Electra's made me so happy, made me sell off the Carbon even, that I'm trying to get a dynamic EC amp, like a Studio B. My impression is that EC amps love detail and stage without losing tubeyness. It works so well for electrostatics, I want to hear how it sounds with a bio-cellulose ZMF, too.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #22,827 of 25,487
The 507s were a bit too technical/sterile (the English term escapes me, sorry) for my liking, but nothing major.. i think they belong in the category of STAX headphones that weren't given the proper chance. I'll leave the reason behind this for a future discussion, when it no longer says "new" next to my name tag :)

On topic, i'll admit i fail to see how such a change -507 monitor to a 700 shell- could produce such a result, given that the shell geometry is pretty much identical, but.. i haven't heard the outcome. Bit of a shame though, doing that. For exposing the driver units if nothing else. To each their own of course, mere opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #22,828 of 25,487
the NB Sigmas have reminded my why I love NB Lambdas so much and has been my favorite headphone since I got them. I don’t need two sigmas and have listed the 404 Sigmas for sale because the NBs just agree with me a little more (much more mid-focused, sweeter than the 404, etc.).

As for your question it’s a good one and I’d love to hear others thoughts. I think best practice is to NOT do what i do and rest the Plastic, not the band. Neither feel right to me, tbh and I can replace a headband easier or cheaper than a fraMe so I so what I do.

Interestingly, these NB Sigmas came with their own purpose built stand. I’d never seen this before and even after searching it I still don’t see any blue versions so I think the brown fuzz burnt off mine.
6B94AB18-C25E-4E06-AC75-FA699E262F7E.jpeg
Honestly a perfect stand because neither the band nor the plastic frame touched it and there are carve outs for the cable connector area. Came with original manual too, I love those little bits.

Very cool sir,

How well the Sigmas comparing with 007-MK1? oh and I notice you also have the Jecklin Float. I'm a little curious about all of these and would like to hear from the owner :D

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #22,829 of 25,487
The pic is of Joe Strummer, who was quite the marathoner. My previous pic was Joey Ramone's high school prom pic. I guess I like seeing them outside their normalcy.

I have not had a real chance to A/B the 007 mk1 vs the NB Sigma, so this is based on general recollection. Both are laid back (for estats) with a warmer/wetter sound. The NB Sigma's strength, to me, are the sweet, syrupy and slightly forward mids. The housings naturally roll off the sparkle but I'm struck by the sub-bass. Compared to the 404 Sigmas, the sub bass is stronger, and they slam harder than original NB Lambdas. I think it's the material used in the housing. The 007s have a similar sound sig but much more extended up top and balanced throughout, not as mid-forward. They have elevated mid-bass / lower-mids, relative to the NB Sigmas. NB Sigmas and Lambdas both have wonderful mids, never shouty, just sweet liquid. The Lambdas have more sparkle up top and the Sigmas have more thump and slam, while the 007s have more detail and are balanced throughout (though they are clearly warmer than neutral, all of them).

The Floats are a lot of fun and nail the 'atmospheric, immersive' experience but they're clearly a level below the Stax, to me, and have to be run off a Jecklin energizer. Who knows how they'd sound out of a Carbon, though.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #22,830 of 25,487
My favourite ones are the SR-Λ Signatures; not to be confused with the much earlier Pro models. If anyone is after the stereotypical "STAX" sound and hasn't heard those, i'd recommend looking out for them. They're not easy to find, but they're well worth the search.
They have a character that's just.. i love them.
Say what you will about recent-ish models, they lack character when compared to the pre-90s models.
Bit more detail here, bit more this or that over there, sure; but something was lost overall; there is a unique sound signature to the pre-bankruptcy models that is worth the trade off and then some. And among those, the Signatures for me sit right up there.

* I've seen certain posters complain about the old Lamdbas (be they Pro or Signature) treble/peak/etchiness, poster depending; i would only say that this is an issue on bad amps or overly.. "digital" sources. Truly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back