The Stax Thread III
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #22,456 of 25,534
Just got an email that my X9000 is at the shop I ordered it through. I wasn’t expecting it for another 2-6 weeks but I think I’ll get it it by the end of this week.
They came a lot sooner than expected.
ECC8D75F-84F5-4BA4-8C9D-BE8902BF4E65.jpeg08551258-2B55-4527-90A7-35B9F4C84E12.jpegC964403E-1688-4DE5-ABAB-DFE5ADDBCB85.jpeg

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #22,457 of 25,534
They came a lot sooner than expected.
ECC8D75F-84F5-4BA4-8C9D-BE8902BF4E65.jpeg08551258-2B55-4527-90A7-35B9F4C84E12.jpegC964403E-1688-4DE5-ABAB-DFE5ADDBCB85.jpeg
Didn't you mention earlier that you'll use a GG? Any reasons why? I'm curious, as I'm getting a Carbon and a Megatron to compare with x9000, but I was also advised to get a GG.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #22,458 of 25,534
Didn't you mention earlier that you'll use a GG? Any reasons why? I'm curious, as I'm getting a Carbon and a Megatron to compare with x9000, but I was also advised to get a GG.
I had a Carbon and a GG made at the same time to compare the two. The GG was more to my preference. I had the L700 at the time. The Carbon was too sharp for my ears and more analytical than musical.

I want to try a Megatron if for nothing else other than to see all of those glorious tubes, lol. It’s on my list but I honestly think the DIY T2 is next on my queue. I almost bought one back in 2018 but I redirected funds to something else.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #22,459 of 25,534
I had a Carbon and a GG made at the same time to compare the two. The GG was more to my preference. I had the L700 at the time. The Carbon was too sharp for my ears and more analytical than musical.

I want to try a Megatron if for nothing else other than to see all of those glorious tubes, lol. It’s on my list but I honestly think the DIY T2 is next on my queue. I almost bought one back in 2018 but I redirected funds to something else.
I had a KGSShv Carbon, and with L700 (Mk I) I actually liked the sound a lot (not too analytical; actually a pretty fun and exciting sound) but as you also experienced it was definitely too sharp and hot in treble - I couldn't listen for very long like that. The L700 Mk II has somewhat smoother treble, but in my experience the L700 models should absolutely be paired with tube outputs. The exception to this is the T2 being a bad match for L700 (somehow sounded "wrong") - a T2 sonically reinforces all the top-class electrostatics (increasing dynamics, slam, and natural warmth) in ways that become sonically destructive to the L700's nature.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #22,460 of 25,534
I had a KGSShv Carbon, and with L700 (Mk I) I actually liked the sound a lot (not too analytical; actually a pretty fun and exciting sound) but as you also experienced it was definitely too sharp and hot in treble - I couldn't listen for very long like that. The L700 Mk II has somewhat smoother treble, but in my experience the L700 models should absolutely be paired with tube outputs. The exception to this is the T2 being a bad match for L700 (somehow sounded "wrong") - a T2 sonically reinforces all the top-class electrostatics (increasing dynamics, slam, and natural warmth) in ways that become sonically destructive to the L700's nature.
I feel tonally L 700 is close to X9000 except its highs are not rolled off as X9000. I did pair my L 700 with T2 at Canjam with Mullard tubes with unsatisfied results. Yet I think with different tubes like the one used by Kerry now they could be a good match.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #22,461 of 25,534
I haven’t a heard a T2 yet but it’s that scaling across the board from the headphones I own that sounds appealing. Plenty of Stax around here but no place to demo other than Stax amps. Maybe I’ll be lucky and there will be a headphone festival this year and someone will have one on hand.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #22,462 of 25,534

I was just listening to my L300LE (each person can decide if they think that is similar enough to an L700 to be relevant here) and could not take more than 30 minutes of it on the Carbon. I am listening to it a lot lately, because it's the best reference Stax to use on both the Carbon and the all-tube Electra as I roll tubes on the Electra. I find it handy to have the Carbon as a benchmark to compare against, to have a standard to compare back to as I swap tubes over multiple days / weeks.

Anyways, the L300 LE works equally well with both amps but eventually I have to stop using it on the Carbon, when I switch over to the ES-1a and enjoy that on the Carbon. It has a much smoother top end, but the transient edges are still about equally sharp between them, it's still incisively solid state. I know what you say about the Carbon being more analytical or less musical, and for me it is in that direction compared to the Electra but it's only ever harsh with the L300 LE (more than other Lambdas, too).

On the Electra, the LE feels more rounded, with softer edges but still resolving and transparent (subject to tube rolling, too).

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #22,463 of 25,534
I was just listening to my L300LE (each person can decide if they think that is similar enough to an L700 to be relevant here) and could not take more than 30 minutes of it on the Carbon. I am listening to it a lot lately, because it's the best reference Stax to use on both the Carbon and the all-tube Electra as I roll tubes on the Electra. I find it handy to have the Carbon as a benchmark to compare against, to have a standard to compare back to as I swap tubes over multiple days / weeks.

Anyways, the L300 LE works equally well with both amps but eventually I have to stop using it on the Carbon, when I switch over to the ES-1a and enjoy that on the Carbon. It has a much smoother top end, but the transient edges are still about equally sharp between them, it's still incisively solid state. I know what you say about the Carbon being more analytical or less musical, and for me it is in that direction compared to the Electra but it's only ever harsh with the L300 LE (more than other Lambdas, too).

On the Electra, the LE feels more rounded, with softer edges but still resolving and transparent (subject to tube rolling, too).
Wish I still had a Carbon to run the ES-1a; that seems like it would be a great match!

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #22,465 of 25,534
I just found a reasonably priced JR AUDIO 'KGSS' Electrostatic Amp in my country. Have you guys heard of this brand before? Do you reckon its legit and that it will sound alright?
Jesus Christ. Just say NO.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #22,467 of 25,534
Jun 8, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #22,468 of 25,534
Yeah Wow, is it really that bad is it? hahaha
From seeing teardowns of the JR Audio amps, they likely sound fine, but their internal construction probably wouldn't pass regulatory safety tests. They appear to be low-effort, corner-cut clones of the KGSS. When you're dealing with electronics handling hundreds of volts, it's better to be safe than to go with a builder who doesn't use resistors with the proper power handling ratings.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #22,469 of 25,534
Looks good mate, I'll send him a message. Cheers for that. :)

From seeing teardowns of the JR Audio amps, they likely sound fine, but their internal construction probably wouldn't pass regulatory safety tests. They appear to be low-effort, corner-cut clones of the KGSS. When you're dealing with electronics handling hundreds of volts, it's better to be safe than to go with a builder who doesn't use resistors with the proper power handling ratings.

Good to know man, thanks for clarifying. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back