The Stax Thread III
May 21, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #22,381 of 25,523
It's been about three weeks since I finally joined the Stax (and Hifi) family, and man, these things sound incredible. I'm rediscovering a lot of the music I've been hearing all my life, because there are so many new details and nuances that are revealed while listening with these.

I have to take care of my hearing now, because this is VERY addictive, and I don't think it can be good to use headphones so many hours...

Coming from the internal computer speakers and the old apple iems, the jump has been huge.
You're definitely right to be cautious with your hearing. But well-driven Stax headphones are among the least fatiguing of all headphones, and I feel like listening fatigue must be related to hearing risk. The combination of low fatigue AND top class detail from Stax is like nothing else out there. Even the 009 with its tipped-up response never hurts my ears. My right ear is particularly sensitive to peaky, rough treble.

May 21, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #22,382 of 25,523
There are some free apps which you can use on your phone pressed into the ear cup to measure volume. Try not to go over 80 ever or just for short periods. I spent 2 years listening very loudly and developed tinnitus a year ago, even as I'd started lowering volume into the 70-80 db range for a couple months before it started. I thought at worst the risk was long term hearing loss to some degree but didn't realize tinnitus was also a major risk and majorly annoying.

May 21, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #22,383 of 25,523
Thinking about it, what else even competes with the t2? Viva stx and 3es elite maybe? But I feel like there is even less info our there on those two than t2
I have the 3ES Elite. I choose that over a DIY-T2 because of the 300B tubes in the 3ES, the massive power (though the T2 is also massively powerful), and that fact that I love Woo Audio.

As far as I know, I haven't seen anybody directly compare the 3ES Elite with the DIY-T2. Some people just say that Woo Audio doesn't make good estat amps (because they made a mistake 10 years ago in one of their lower-end estat amps), and just assume the DIY-T2 is better. Maybe the T2 is better, but I'd like to see direct comparisons between the two. I'm curious about the DIY-T2 and would like to have it in my collection to directly compare against my 3ES Elite, but the cost and wait times are turning me off.

May 21, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #22,384 of 25,523
A question to the DIYtech-minded Staxen Clan: Why isn’t it possible to create a little ‘stepdown transformer’-like box that allows a Normal Bias Lambda to be safely heard on a Pro Bias amp? A voltage converter that transforms 230 to 580 from amp to earspeaker?

May 21, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #22,385 of 25,523
A question to the DIYtech-minded Staxen Clan: Why isn’t it possible to create a little ‘stepdown transformer’-like box that allows a Normal Bias Lambda to be safely heard on a Pro Bias amp? A voltage converter that transforms 230 to 580 from amp to earspeaker?
Doable as it just needs a simple voltage devider for the Bias DC voltage (basically two resistors only, but I would add a stabilizing capacitor) and a 6 pin connector.

May 22, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #22,386 of 25,523
Many people care about the inherent dangers of exposed tube amps, the room-adjusting heat, the replacement/reliability of tubes, the amount of room space required for a 50lb two-box amp, and a possible 1-hour pre-emptive warm-up period. Not everyone has the space or the ability to store such an item safely. A carbon is a much smaller footprint for a computer/desktop setup. Guys, you don't need to be zealots to praise the T2.
Well I for one agree with what you say. The trend with most electronics is for smaller, safer and better energy efficiency. That is why my KGBH and KGGG have valve cages and are the smallest single box designs I could make with the published circuit boards. I have also tried to make SS amps smaller and lighter by case design and use of porous ceramic "heat-sinks".

May 22, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #22,388 of 25,523
Doable as it just needs a simple voltage devider for the Bias DC voltage (basically two resistors only, but I would add a stabilizing capacitor) and a 6 pin connector.
Let’s call it the Kaydee and pitch it to Headphones.com or Headamp. But seriously, thank you. I recently had my Electra serviced fo add a Normal Bias Jack and realize the Kaydee would let me hear a NB on a Carbon

I can see the stylish logo in front of my eyes. How much would it cost to make, like really and properly? No cutting corners?

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #22,389 of 25,523
Let’s call it the Kaydee and pitch it to Headphones.com or Headamp. But seriously, thank you. I recently had my Electra serviced fo add a Normal Bias Jack and realize the Kaydee would let me hear a NB on a Carbon

I can see the stylish logo in front of my eyes. How much would it cost to make, like really and properly? No cutting corners?
We have something like this in the works. I'll keep you posted.

May 22, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #22,390 of 25,523
Sorry if I'm barging in on this thread, but does anyone here know where to buy replacement earcup hanger for the SR-L500? They only seem to sell the entire headband assembly but I just need one of the earcup holders.

May 23, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #22,392 of 25,523
May 25, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #22,393 of 25,523
Not sure about you people but I would take this T2 rather than 3ES... it just looks so good
22ef42a4d915e44d70852d89ab777fe80d583ed5.jpeg

May 25, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #22,394 of 25,523
Boy my photo is really making the rounds 😆

May 25, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #22,395 of 25,523
Boy my photo is really making the rounds 😆
Its pretty easy to get that way when there are like a dozen pick of the hyped item total in existence tbf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back