The Stax Thread III
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #22,246 of 25,623
L700 Sigma came in a couple days ago! Blazing fast shipping from Hong Kong, very impressed :)

Please, let us know your impressions, I am very interested in this model.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #22,247 of 25,623
How does a CCS / ECC99 modded T1S compare to the 353X when it comes to driving the L700 (and potentially the more power-hungry Nectar Hive)?

Thanks
Based on what Spritzer at Mjolnir Audio told me when I bought my CCS-modded SRM-006tA from him, that modded T1S should be significantly more powerful than the 353X. He said that his Octave II amps were better than the 353X, and the modded T1/006 Stax amps are a step above the Octave. Thus I went with the modded 006tA. And the T1S with the ECC99 mod should be more powerful still.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #22,248 of 25,623
Based on what Spritzer at Mjolnir Audio told me when I bought my CCS-modded SRM-006tA from him, that modded T1S should be significantly more powerful than the 353X. He said that his Octave II amps were better than the 353X, and the modded T1/006 Stax amps are a step above the Octave. Thus I went with the modded 006tA. And the T1S with the ECC99 mod should be more powerful still.
006t and T1(S) basically share the same boards, so if both are modded to use ECC99 and CCS there should be not much difference. But the modification makes a big difference indeed!! I have such a modded Amp.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #22,249 of 25,623
signal-2022-04-29-160303_002.jpeg
L700 Sigma came in a couple days ago! Blazing fast shipping from Hong Kong, very impressed :)

I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet unfortunately, but tonight I'll finally get some quality time to put them through their paces.

I felt the L700 driver's imaging capabilities could exceed the bottleneck of the Lambda enclosure (that's not to say Lambdas have bad enclosures, just that it felt like the L700 could benefit from a larger stage in which to flex its technical chops). I hope my hunch is correct, because if so this will be quite a
Nice! You don’t see many of these in the wild. I’m interested in hearing your impressions too.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #22,250 of 25,623
006t and T1(S) basically share the same boards, so if both are modded to use ECC99 and CCS there should be not much difference. But the modification makes a big difference indeed!! I have such a modded Amp.
My 006t isn't ECC99-modded, it just has the CCS while still using 6CG7 tubes (electro-harmonix ones). That's why I presumed the T1S with ECC99 tubes would be more powerful. My understanding is that the ECC99's higher plate voltage alleviates some performance limitation caused by running the 6CG7 too close to its plate voltage.

May 1, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #22,251 of 25,623
No, it is the higher anode current the ECC99 can handle and to which the CCS will then be set to. The voltage cannot be changed as the power supply stays the same.

May 1, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #22,252 of 25,623
I guess I am way behind the curve now, as the term "natural sound" has been taken out of consideration for a long time, replaced by "objectively measurable technical ability".

And no, even "technically" I do not consider the X9000 a landslide above the 007. It is just a different presentation, that was described in those YT videos (that got instantly questioned...)
Just because something is layered or separated differently or makes details stand out more, it does not necessarily mean that it is superior. Just a different way or representing a stage in a headphone, it will work with a certain type of music while it won't work in a different type of music.

The SR-X Mk3 has "no soundstage", and yet with some music it simply renders the space better than those big Staxes (meaning: in a more natural, less artificial way, not adding space which is not there, eg. creating an "artificial virtual layer") and presents the instruments more convincingly as well.
X9000 has larger stage, the largest in current stax lineup

May 1, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #22,253 of 25,623
Regarding headphone amps that can power Stax and other ESL's, Dieter Mallach (Mal Valve) makes some pretty compelling designs as well. He actually makes a full compliment of tube gear, a turntable and even magnetostatic speakers...including magnetostatic bass drivers. He also runs HiFi Deluxe across the street from the Munich show. He has very singular views about transformer design (essentially all of our OPT's are undersized for their task). So in his valve amps, (all push pull) the OPT's are designed to sit on the floor, near the loudspeakers. This way, they can be over 90 pounds per channel...after a listen, it is a convincing argument where push pull amps are concerned. They are also the best way to run the RAAL headphones that I've come across...electrostats too. Anyway, his headamp design has been otherworldly since 2013 or so when he came out with an amp that could power electrostats, dynamic cans and everything between. Way back when, it won the award, 'best headphone amp in the world' from Steve Guttenberg. Now there are three to choose from, and there's no drawback for their versatility that I can hear. And yes, you can add his big honking floor transformers and have a monster integrated, headfi/loudspeaker listening space. Anyway, I've run on...forgive me. Here's a shot of my Head Amp Five. it runs kt-170s (a vast improvement on all KT tubes (KT-66, KT-90, KT-100 etc etc) sonically-I could care less about the power...they just sound better-flesh and bone and blood) It runs the pro electrostatic output for pro-Stax, a traditional electrostatic output for other ESL's (adjustable voltage), balanced outputs for regular and planar magnetic cans, and a 1/4 inch jack for same...it can be run as a preamp, and with the additional OPTs on the floor, power just about any loudspeakers (and the RAAL headphones) This along with my single ended Trafomatic Head Amps, has my headfi bases covered. Anyway, a super-fun listen.
Head5KT170.jpg

May 1, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #22,254 of 25,623
May 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #22,255 of 25,623
just posted this, if youre in the market for stax hope you find it helpful

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/es-labs-es-1a-electrostatic-headphones.25825/reviews

and thank you to @bigjako and @KDS315 for sharing your experiences with stax. theyve helped me find what i've been looking for. :beerchug:
Great review, and I'm glad to play a part in you getting the ES-1a on your head. They really are great, and take all that my Yggy and Carbon throw at it. I'm still super curious to get my hands on a 007 Mk1 one day, but the ES-1a's make that less of a pressing need and, as you say, serve as a (near) end-game complement to my L300 LEs.

I can't wait for the L700 Sigma review coming soon, too.

May 2, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #22,256 of 25,623
I store mine under a heavy microfiber bags that I hade made specifically for my headphones. It’s long enough that the opening rests on the surface so it effectively seals them off from dust. Been good enough for the L700, 009s, RR1 and will be good enough for my x9000 when they arrive.

I read about a guy who was using blender covers for his Stax. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Covermates-Blender-Collection-Warranty-Protection/dp/B007X56784

Has anyone tried one? And do you know of a place that sells them in Europe?

Can anyone say - 007 MK2 and L700 vs Edition XS or Arya Stealth? Are the Stax less bright/fatiguing? I would think so, with that effortless sound quality.

I currently have an L700 (blu-tack modded), but was recently bit by the upgradeitis bug and started to look into alternatives like the Nectar Hive X and the Arya Stealth.

Any more comparisons between those are welcome... :)

Thanks

May 2, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #22,257 of 25,623
I read about a guy who was using blender covers for his Stax. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Covermates-Blender-Collection-Warranty-Protection/dp/B007X56784

I currently have an L700 (blu-tack modded), but was recently bit by the upgradeitis bug and started to look into alternatives like the Nectar Hive X and the Arya Stealth.

Thanks
Brilliant lol! But is it big enough?

May 2, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #22,258 of 25,623

Thanks
I’m not a fan of the quilted looked but that’s purely personal preference. If the dimensions fit then that’s definitely candidate.

I haven’t heard the Hive X but I would think it’s not an upgrade to the L700.

May 2, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #22,259 of 25,623

Thanks

Arya stealth sounded to me the most close to stax out of all headphones i tried. I did use them on my elekit tube amp so the brightness people complain about may have been mitigated a bit. If i didnt have my stax i wouldve considered keeping aryas despite questionable durability of their drivers..

May 2, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #22,260 of 25,623
Thought this might be a good place to ask this question. Does anyone know the power output difference between the KGSSHV, and the KGSSHV Carbon (the Mjolnir Audio/Sprtizer Versions.) Is it substantially more with the Carbon? I can't find the specs ratings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back