The Stax Thread III
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #21,646 of 25,560

padam & pspentax

Thank you !
This fits also with the cables on the STAX (X-) and 009(S) series phones
My 007 has "only" the -older ? - white-silver cable

Regards
Urs
Yes, it’s a sound signature choice for each Stax series.
The L500/007 uses the cooper cable and the L700/009 use the cooper silver plated.
You can mix the extension cord between them and change a little the sound signature.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #21,647 of 25,560
Hello, good people.
So I have been geeking out on DACs of late, as I realized that my Stax headohones sound much better of Denafrips DACs than my Holo May.
I am also tempted to try chip-based DACS, the better implemented ones.
Open-ended question.
Other than the DC4-ed mDave, what other DACs have you tried that you like with the Stax SR009/009S? The 007's are relatively more forgiving, hence, particularly curious about successful DAC pairings with the 009/009S (other than the Dave). I love the Dave, but want to widen my search at this point. My amp is the KGSSHV Carbon.
Thanks in advance for all your input. :)
Sajid,
Try the Bricasti M3, which is a beautifully sounding DAC (and as amp in the M3h version). I’m plugging it these days to my Mjolnir Carbon and 007mk1. It may be a perfect fit…

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #21,648 of 25,560
I’m throwing this out there… so…

Which Stax does the Audeze CRBN compete with? and how to they compare?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #21,649 of 25,560

It sounds more 007 than 009, but has a presentation similar to the He90 family.
It's hard to rank things because the tonal balance is so different.

Tier 1) Sr-omega / He-90/ He-1 / SGL Sr / possibly SRX9k
Tier 2) Sr009S / CRBN / Sr007 mk1
Tier 2.5) Sr009 / Sr007 Mk2 / SGL Jr
Tier 3) He60 / Lambda models

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #21,650 of 25,560
It sounds more 007 than 009, but has a presentation similar to the He90 family.
It's hard to rank things because the tonal balance is so different.

Tier 1) Sr-omega / He-90/ He-1 / SGL Sr / possibly SRX9k
Tier 2) Sr009S / CRBN / Sr007 mk1
Tier 2.5) Sr009 / Sr007 Mk2 / SGL Jr
Tier 3) He60 / Lambda models
Thanks!

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #21,651 of 25,560
I am hoping that the wise folks reading this thread can help me come to an understanding of estat energizers driven by speaker amps vs estat amplifiers. I ask because I am looking at buying an sr x-9000 when available. I currently have the Audeze CRBN through an iFi iESL energizer. I can use a few different amps for power. To my ears it sounds good. If more power is needed, say for a Stax srx 9000, a more powerful power amp is much cheaper than the dedicated estat amplifiers from Stax and other companies. So, I just want to understand why, energizers such as the iFi IESL aren't talked about on the same level as Blue Hawaii, or the Stax T8000? Wasn't the Stax system originally conceived using an energizer powered by an amp?

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #21,652 of 25,560

It would be the 007. They are the most similar. After that, everything else is quite different from it. CRBN has great tonality and is solid in all technical categories, but the 009 in comparison just does a few things quite better technically, similarly to it vs. the 007 (soundstage, imaging, detail.. mainly just sense of separation, openness and refinement overall). But if you want a stat that's much smoother/warmer, the CRBN is the way to go while still getting really good technical performance.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #21,653 of 25,560
It would be the 007. They are the most similar. After that, everything else is quite different from it. CRBN has great tonality and is solid in all technical categories, but the 009 in comparison just does a few things quite better technically, similarly to it vs. the 007 (soundstage, imaging, detail.. mainly just sense of separation, openness and refinement overall). But if you want a stat that's much smoother/warmer, the CRBN is the way to go while still getting really good technical performance.
Super helpful, really appreciate your advice!

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #21,654 of 25,560
I am hoping that the wise folks reading this thread can help me come to an understanding of estat energizers driven by speaker amps vs estat amplifiers. I ask because I am looking at buying an sr x-9000 when available. I currently have the Audeze CRBN through an iFi iESL energizer. I can use a few different amps for power. To my ears it sounds good. If more power is needed, say for a Stax srx 9000, a more powerful power amp is much cheaper than the dedicated estat amplifiers from Stax and other companies. So, I just want to understand why, energizers such as the iFi IESL aren't talked about on the same level as Blue Hawaii, or the Stax T8000? Wasn't the Stax system originally conceived using an energizer powered by an amp?
The nice thing about the energizers is the ability to use different power amps to flavor the sound to your liking and they are cheaper for the most part. So easier to get started with estats if you already have an amp to use. It also does not take a lot of power (15W or so would be considered the minimum, IMO) to drive any of the earspeakers that I am aware of (be it Stax 009/007/Lambdas, Voce, etc.).

However, IMHO, energizers (like the SRD7, iFi iESL, Woo Wee etc.) are just "adequate" for driving Estats, the dedicated amps are much better at driving the earspeakers to their potential. I don't say full potential, as I am not sure what that would be. This is my opinion after having listened to Earspeakers since the 80's and to lots and lots of different set-ups. Don't get me wrong, they sound fine and I used an SRD7 for several years from a little Toppings amp (~30 watts) and was happy... until I saved up and got a BHSE... Now the toppings is on a shelf and the SRD7 and Woo Wee are stored. as always YMMV, IMHO, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #21,655 of 25,560
The nice thing about the energizers is the ability to use different power amps to flavor the sound to your liking and they are cheaper for the most part. So easier to get started with estats if you already have an amp to use. It also does not take a lot of power (15W or so would be considered the minimum, IMO) to drive any of the earspeakers that I am aware of (be it Stax 009/007/Lambdas, Voce, etc.).

However, IMHO, energizers (like the SRD7, iFi iESL, Woo Wee etc.) are just "adequate" for driving Estats, the dedicated amps are much better at driving the earspeakers to their potential. I don't say full potential, as I am not sure what that would be. This is my opinion after having listened to Earspeakers since the 80's and to lots and lots of different set-ups. Don't get me wrong, they sound fine and I used an SRD7 for several years from a little Toppings amp (~30 watts) and was happy... until I saved up and got a BHSE... Now the toppings is on a shelf and the SRD7 and Woo Wee are stored. as always YMMV, IMHO, etc.
Thanks for your perspective. This is exactly what I am looking to understand. The Blue Hawaii is a tube unit. Can the same degree of excellence be achieved in the solid state realm?

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #21,656 of 25,560
Thanks for your perspective. This is exactly what I am looking to understand. The Blue Hawaii is a tube unit. Can the same degree of excellence be achieved in the solid state realm?
For superb quality solid state (and tube) estat amps, check out Mjolnir Audio - https://mjolnir-audio.com/ @spritzer builds some of the highest quality estat amps out there (and is an absolute joy to order from). I just got the Carbon and enjoying it with the 007mk1. It is an absolute marvel. There is some explanation here about its common gate topology, which results in a similar effect to that achieved by the BHSE tube amplification: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mjolnir-audio-electrostatic-amps.769105/page-3#post-11675294

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #21,657 of 25,560
Yes, it can, but different, LOL. I have a Cavalli Liquid Lightening 2 Solid State, LL2SS, and it is very nice with my SR007 MKII. I have also heard the Carbon @goldwerger mentioned and it is very nice. Also the KGSSHV was very nice, I see he has a new (to me) version that looks promising. I think SS amps pair well with the 007 MKII and the Voce, it is nice with the 009 but can be a slightly sibilant/harsh with certain tracks. For reference, if it it helps, it is less troubling that the HD800 with "bright" amps. So still very enjoyable, but may need to take a break after a few hours of listening.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #21,658 of 25,560
Both the SRD7 and Woo Wee are sort of low-end energizers, the iFi iESL I would rank above them, but you can also get commissioned an energizer built to a higher spec like with every other amp, this path is worth exploring, especially if you already own a very good speaker amp.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #21,659 of 25,560
Both the SRD7 and Woo Wee are sort of low-end energizers, the iFi iESL I would rank above them, but you can also get commissioned an energizer built to a higher spec like with every other amp, this path is worth exploring, especially if you already own a very good speaker amp.
The information I am collecting here from seasoned estat owners is really great. I think I know how my 2022 audio budget will be spent!

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #21,660 of 25,560
Sajid,
Try the Bricasti M3, which is a beautifully sounding DAC (and as amp in the M3h version). I’m plugging it these days to my Mjolnir Carbon and 007mk1. It may be a perfect fit…
+1 on the Bricasti M3.
I own a fully loaded M3 (network card, remote and headphones output) and I am very happy with it.
It has a great analog volume control so it can be use also to drive an amplifier directly. It is a fully balanced design including the headphones amp. Out of the headphones output it can even drive the Susvara.

In use it as my all in one nightstand unit connected to my LAN using Roon.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back