The Stax Thread III
Jan 12, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #21,631 of 25,472
Hello, good people.
So I have been geeking out on DACs of late, as I realized that my Stax headohones sound much better of Denafrips DACs than my Holo May.
I am also tempted to try chip-based DACS, the better implemented ones.
Open-ended question.
Other than the DC4-ed mDave, what other DACs have you tried that you like with the Stax SR009/009S? The 007's are relatively more forgiving, hence, particularly curious about successful DAC pairings with the 009/009S (other than the Dave). I love the Dave, but want to widen my search at this point. My amp is the KGSSHV Carbon.
Thanks in advance for all your input. :)
I have liked the Yggdrasil A2 (and the A1 before I updated). Does a very good job of feeding the BHSE (009/Voce/Lambda NB) and LL2SS (007MKII).

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #21,632 of 25,472
I have liked the Yggdrasil A2 (and the A1 before I updated). Does a very good job of feeding the BHSE (009/Voce/Lambda NB) and LL2SS (007MKII).
I too am using the Yggy A2 feeding the mjolnir megatron (009S/Shangri-la Jr) and carbon CC (007mk1) and it seems to be working well. My only other comparisons are to the ADI-2 DAC and PS Audio directstream.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #21,633 of 25,472
Although? Having to use Oratory's EQ for a STAX headphone has NOTHING to do with the DAC used IMHO.
Prior to the Mola I used another dac, which sounded more warm to my ears and made the SR009 bearable without EQ. So yes, how it sounds definitely has something to do with the DAC (among other things)

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #21,634 of 25,472
Prior to the Mola I used another dac, which sounded more warm to my ears and made the SR009 bearable without EQ. So yes, how it sounds definitely has something to do with the DAC (among other things)
Yes, of course. In my experience, the 009/009S is more DAC sensitive than my Susvara or TC. The differences in sonic signature between the Holo May and my Aries II are magnified using the 009S. And my listening pleasure varies greatly depending on what chain I have, DAC included. Like I said, in my experience, given my preferences, I prefer the lower priced Aries II than the May with the 009S. Hence, the renewed interest in DACs.

But yes, I ought to try HQ Player.

Are there instructions anywhere on how to integrate HQ Player with May and Roon: A quick read hopefully? Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #21,635 of 25,472
Yes, of course. In my experience, the 009/009S is more DAC sensitive than my Susvara or TC. The differences in sonic signature between the Holo May and my Aries II are magnified using the 009S. And my listening pleasure varies greatly depending on what chain I have, DAC included. Like I said, in my experience, given my preferences, I prefer the lower priced Aries II than the May with the 009S. Hence, the renewed interest in DACs.

But yes, I ought to try HQ Player.

Are there instructions anywhere on how to integrate HQ Player with May and Roon: A quick read hopefully? Lol.
I barely remember doing it. You need to buy a license from their site signalyst and download it to your server or PC. I think you can get a lifetime license.

Anyway once you have it downloaded you go into roon and there is a setting on there to incorporate HQP into roon.

I had the option on my server to put the license in and then go on roon and enable it. So the PC route I am not familiar with. Someone here can get you going in the right direction

It can get confusing…..but to my ears it has been a great combo with the May.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #21,636 of 25,472
Does anyone have any tricks on storing their 009/srx9k/omega to avoid stretching the headband?
The 009 fits best on the smallest setting - but now, after owning them for a year - I've found the headband has lost some of its tightness due to the Stax headstand putting pressure on the leather. I'm hesitant about using the plastic piece of the headband since the wiring into the cup then has to bend to avoid pressure from the table
Not a beautiful solution, but Ive been using toilet paper rolls to damp the stretch on my lambdas and 007a for 5 months and it has worked fine. I believe its shape fits well to avoid marking the headbands and I like how it keeps excess hair oils from penetrating the headband, at least where it rests in the paper. Hopefully it is a good long term solution. It's also so cheap..

Attachments

• CB56AAE8-3E64-41BE-849B-4BDC4D5FF1ED.jpeg
    CB56AAE8-3E64-41BE-849B-4BDC4D5FF1ED.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #21,637 of 25,472
Not a beautiful solution, but Ive been using toilet paper rolls to damp the stretch on my lambdas and 007a for 5 months and it has worked fine. I believe its shape fits well to avoid marking the headbands and I like how it keeps excess hair oils from penetrating the headband, at least where it rests in the paper. Hopefully it is a good long term solution. It's also so cheap..
Hopefully, you are using the lint-free type TP! I keep my Stax away from dust sources...

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #21,638 of 25,472
good point. I did inspect the rolls at first use (I mean, any plastic bottle of similar size would do) and every week or so I also inspect the Staxes and have note no dust builtup. My hair is on the oily side and so I also inspect the headband/earpads for oil from time to time.. though admitedly 5 months is far from long term testing, so far so good.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #21,639 of 25,472
It is probably because Mola Mola Tambaqui dac has no noise floor modulation that can introduce harshness to treble & mids. (same goes for well designed R-2R dacs).

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #21,642 of 25,472
Question to STAX Extension Cords
I need your help…
I have two extension cords from STAX.
One is marked with a yellow-gold color or coding on the outside, the other white - silver.

There are apparently the types SRE-750H and SRE-950S.
Which would be what ??

Thanks for your hints !
Regards
Urs

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #21,644 of 25,472
Question to STAX Extension Cords
I need your help…
I have two extension cords from STAX.
One is marked with a yellow-gold color or coding on the outside, the other white - silver.

There are apparently the types SRE-750H and SRE-950S.
Which would be what ??

Thanks for your hints !
Regards
Urs
As the @padam say.
The 750 silver/white is only cooper the 950 gold/yellow is silvered cooper.
A strange choice of color schemes for me it will be the other way 🤷‍♂️🤣

PS- gold/yellow scheme is more luxurious 🤣

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #21,645 of 25,472

padam & pspentax

Thank you !
This fits also with the cables on the STAX (X-) and 009(S) series phones
My 007 has "only" the -older ? - white-silver cable

Regards
Urs

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back