The Stax Thread III
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #20,986 of 25,675
After ~5 years listening via a SRM-252S energiser and 407 earspeakers, it was time to find out if a different energiser would improve the experience. FIve years ago, I struggled to hear any difference between the 252 and 353 energisers. However, I had often wondered if there was a ‘next level’ of fidelity and enjoyment available - especially given that I rarely found it enjoyable to listen the to 407/252 setup for more than 30 minutes. My setup is not exceptional, consisting of two paths for music to get to the energiser: (1) Apple Music lossless -> Meridian Explorer -> SRM-252S or (2) Fidelius player with Can Opener -> Meridian Explorer -> SRM-252S.

Showrooms are closed here (due to COVID restrictions), so I had to try one alternative at a time, with my only consistent reference being the 252S. Here’s what I found:
  1. SRM-006TS. This is now obsolete, so the price was reasonable and I had always wanted to try a tube-based energiser. My initial reaction, however, was disappointment. The harder I listened to specific phrases in the music - especially in the dense parts of orchestral works - the more I liked the old 252S. The auditory equivalent of ‘pixel peeping’ had me thinking that the 006 was a retrograde step. It was only after I returned the unit that I realised that I had listened for over an hour on a few occasions and never felt the desire to stop. Anyway, back it went.
  2. SRM-400S. It didn’t take long to decide that this was a step up from the 252S in terms of the aforementioned ’pixel peeping’, so I thought it was a keeper. The inner engineer in me also liked the idea of the all-FET design. However, after a few days I realised that although I appreciated what I could hear and resolve through the 400S, I still found myself walking away after 30 minutes’ listening. Perhaps it was time to rethink what I was looking for. So, the 400S went back too.
  3. SRM-500T. I decided to take a different approach this time: Rather than keep going over the same phrases while switching between the 252 and the new energiser, I just let the energise warm up and started listening. I didn’t turn the volume up to levels that I would not be comfortable listing to for long periods. I drifted from one track to another, from one genre to another, and soaked in the music. Hours drifted by. I forgot all about the gear. Is the 500T better than the 006? In my mind the answer is ‘yes’. However, I suspect that the circuit diagram, and an objective assessment of signal to noise ratio, may say ‘not really’. Perhaps I had, by adopting a different approach, conditioned my self to like the 500T. Anyway, the SRM-500T is a keeper for me.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #20,987 of 25,675
After ~5 years listening via a SRM-252S energiser and 407 earspeakers, it was time to find out if a different energiser would improve the experience. FIve years ago, I struggled to hear any difference between the 252 and 353 energisers. However, I had often wondered if there was a ‘next level’ of fidelity and enjoyment available - especially given that I rarely found it enjoyable to listen the to 407/252 setup for more than 30 minutes. My setup is not exceptional, consisting of two paths for music to get to the energiser: (1) Apple Music lossless -> Meridian Explorer -> SRM-252S or (2) Fidelius player with Can Opener -> Meridian Explorer -> SRM-252S.

Showrooms are closed here (due to COVID restrictions), so I had to try one alternative at a time, with my only consistent reference being the 252S. Here’s what I found:
  1. SRM-006TS. This is now obsolete, so the price was reasonable and I had always wanted to try a tube-based energiser. My initial reaction, however, was disappointment. The harder I listened to specific phrases in the music - especially in the dense parts of orchestral works - the more I liked the old 252S. The auditory equivalent of ‘pixel peeping’ had me thinking that the 006 was a retrograde step. It was only after I returned the unit that I realised that I had listened for over an hour on a few occasions and never felt the desire to stop. Anyway, back it went.
  2. SRM-400S. It didn’t take long to decide that this was a step up from the 252S in terms of the aforementioned ’pixel peeping’, so I thought it was a keeper. The inner engineer in me also liked the idea of the all-FET design. However, after a few days I realised that although I appreciated what I could hear and resolve through the 400S, I still found myself walking away after 30 minutes’ listening. Perhaps it was time to rethink what I was looking for. So, the 400S went back too.
  3. SRM-500T. I decided to take a different approach this time: Rather than keep going over the same phrases while switching between the 252 and the new energiser, I just let the energise warm up and started listening. I didn’t turn the volume up to levels that I would not be comfortable listing to for long periods. I drifted from one track to another, from one genre to another, and soaked in the music. Hours drifted by. I forgot all about the gear. Is the 500T better than the 006? In my mind the answer is ‘yes’. However, I suspect that the circuit diagram, and an objective assessment of signal to noise ratio, may say ‘not really’. Perhaps I had, by adopting a different approach, conditioned my self to like the 500T. Anyway, the SRM-500T is a keeper for me.

Thank you for feedback. I get curious time to time about Stax tube amps, but resist buying those. Apparently, for good.

P. S. To anyone considering solid state amps, consider Airbow SRM-253 or 253s with PAC-253. They are stellar despite tiny size.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #20,988 of 25,675

agreed. what impresses/wows the most is not necessary the one with the most staying power, for me good enough is good enough, as long as there is no irritation.

I have a 212, in stock configuration it was more detailed and with less distortion than my xh; but I could get use to the xh sound within minutes and listen for a long time non-stop, while the (stock) 212's major mid-range-burn would drive me crazy after a few songs.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #20,989 of 25,675
agreed. what impresses/wows the most is not necessary the one with the most staying power, for me good enough is good enough, as long as there is no irritation.

I have a 212, in stock configuration it was more detailed and with less distortion than my xh; but I could get use to the xh sound within minutes and listen for a long time non-stop, while the (stock) 212's major mid-range-burn would drive me crazy after a few songs.

I have found Xh to be very different with different headphones. I purchased it as a set with Nova Basic just to try, and was very disappointed at first. Vocals were okay, but any electronic music or anything with bass sounded horrible. Well, it turned out that Xh paired nicely with Λ Spirit, I use it now in office and happy with this combo. Of course it is nothing close to SRM-253, but it is still pleasant to listen now. (At the same time I wasn’t impressed with Xh + SC-1 combo, despite SC-1 being much better headphone than Λ Spirit.)

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #20,991 of 25,675
Hello,

I checked his website but it's not clear which one is this, is it the Alpha Centauri V9.5 ?
What do you mean by “this”? The one I have (SIRIUS V9) or the hybrid amp (Alpha Centauri)?

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #20,992 of 25,675
What do you mean by “this”? The one I have (SIRIUS V9) or the hybrid amp (Alpha Centauri)?
I referred to the "forthcoming new version of his hybrid amp" so I guess that's the Alpha Centauri.
I am curious how will it compare to the CCS/ECC99 modded SRM-T1, which I like better than the 727II.
But I am still looking for something even better to drive my SR-009...

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #20,993 of 25,675
Hey everyone :L3000:

I am looking into getting my first Stax. I have a moderate budget of around 2k+-1k usd for a headphone and the driver. I prefer a balanced tuning suitable for variety of genres. Where should I start my research?

The SR-L700MK2 seems like a match for my budget but the design looks really dated (no offense).
The SR-007Mk2 seems to have mixed review due to its boosted bass respond relative to the 007.

Or should I look into the used market and getting the old models?

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #20,994 of 25,675
I referred to the "forthcoming new version of his hybrid amp" so I guess that's the Alpha Centauri.
I am curious how will it compare to the CCS/ECC99 modded SRM-T1, which I like better than the 727II.
But I am still looking for something even better to drive my SR-009...
Well I drive my SR-009 with the SIRIUS V9 and am very happy with it! The 009 is easy to drive anyway...😉

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #20,995 of 25,675
И
Thank you for feedback. I get curious time to time about Stax tube amps, but resist buying those. Apparently, for good.

P. S. To anyone considering solid state amps, consider Airbow SRM-253 or 253s with PAC-253. They are stellar despite tiny size.
But 253S costs like $500 in Japan. Plus shipping and buying fees. Is it better to buy a used Stax amp for that price here in US or Europe?

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #20,996 of 25,675
Hey everyone :L3000:

I am looking into getting my first Stax. I have a moderate budget of around 2k+-1k usd for a headphone and the driver. I prefer a balanced tuning suitable for variety of genres. Where should I start my research?

The SR-L700MK2 seems like a match for my budget but the design looks really dated (no offense).
The SR-007Mk2 seems to have mixed review due to its boosted bass respond relative to the 007.

Or should I look into the used market and getting the old models?
Do you have a way to audition these? Any shops local to you that sell Stax?

I've never heard the SR-L700, so can't speak to its sonic qualities. I also think they look odd, but once they're on your head it doesn't much matter. Comfort is reported to be quite good.

I own the SR-007 Mk1. These have such a laid back nature to them I would imagine most people who listen to them would enjoy them. All the renowned electrostatic qualities here, with more bass and less treble than most other 'stats. Very demanding of source and amplification. Powering them with anything less than a KGSS is giving up a lot of performance. Even the SRM-717 is not enough, IMO. I had one and after upgrading to a better amp I realized it just wasn't up to the task. The Mk1 has to be purchased used, and can be had for around $1500 in good condition.

Never heard an SR-007 Mk2, but most impressions indicate the Mk1 is more balanced tonally.

The SR-009 is technically superior to the SR-007, but is more polarizing. These will be brighter sounding. I view these more as genre masters than the SR-007, which can do most genres well. If you listen to a variety of music you might find that some genres sound amazing on the SR-009, while others not so much. Cost will be around $2500 used, so won't leave much in the budget for an amp.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #20,997 of 25,675
И

But 253S costs like $500 in Japan. Plus shipping and buying fees. Is it better to buy a used Stax amp for that price here in US or Europe?

I got mine for about 350$ as I recall (it was three years ago or something) – used, but “like new”, from Yahoo JP. Shipping should be cheap, considering its size and weight.

What is better is up to a person making a choice of course. I am in Taiwan, so buying things from Japan is much easier than from US or Europe.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #20,998 of 25,675
I received my L500mk2 along with a 353x today. I'm feeding the 353x with the XLR line-outs on an RME ADI-2 DAC.
Initial impressions were strong clarity compared to my Elex, but with excessive sibilance due to the ~6k peak. So using the ADI-2, I EQed ~6k down about 3dB, ~1k down about 1.5dB, and everything below 60Hz up quite a few dB. This sounds incredible now. Using a tone generator, it sounds pretty even throughout the FR, although I could probably squeeze out a bit more linearity with more EQ.

One issue I noticed was heavy channel imbalance on the 353x at volume level 3 and below. There is no channel imbalance above volume level 3. I'm able to set the line-out volume on the ADI-2 high enough that I always listen at higher than volume level 3 on the 353x, but I feel I shouldn't have to.

Has anyone else noticed channel imbalance on volume level 3 and below on the 353x?

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #20,999 of 25,675
Well I drive my SR-009 with the SIRIUS V9 and am very happy with it! The 009 is easy to drive anyway...😉
I might give it a try one day, but it would be great if you could share your opinion about that new hybrid amp once you get it, it might be an even better fit for a SR-009...

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #21,000 of 25,675
I might give it a try one day, but it would be great if you could share your opinion about that new hybrid amp once you get it, it might be an even better fit for a SR-009...
It will take a while I was told; not the highest priority currently.
And I have my great SRM-T1 (CCS/ECC99) if I desire tube sound :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back