The Stax Thread III
Aug 28, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #20,971 of 25,558
Got a STAX LAMBDA NORMAL and LAMBDA PROFESSIONAL as they were praised by some for their sound quality. Both in EX++ Condition. Will do some comparison ...

420051A4-B64A-49DA-9789-75343098F83E.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #20,972 of 25,558
Got a STAX LAMBDA NORMAL and LAMBDA PROFESSIONAL as they were praised by some for their sound quality. Both in EX++ Condition. Will do some comparison ...

420051A4-B64A-49DA-9789-75343098F83E.jpeg
The Sirius amp looks nice

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #20,973 of 25,558
Aug 28, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #20,974 of 25,558
STAX! it's all great kit.
I've just finished a listening session with my unmodded L700s via my new KGSSHV amp (even my old SR-5 Golds sound amazing!) feed off a prototype KINGSWAY (NZ designed and built by Adam Rosner) valve preamp via the Terminator DAC and Singxer SU-6 feed by my old tablet and WiFi and honestly, I can't imagine it sounding better.
Even the Naim pre and Hicap can't compleat with the Kingsway.
As I'm a newbie when it comes to streaming please let me know if you think you can suggest any improvements.
I'm a vinyl guy but this set up has truly upset my perseption of streaming (Qobus and Tidal).
All that amazing selection.
I'm almost in heaven (in more ways than one).
My vinyl system consists of a shelter 901 mc cart on an reasently tuned Linn lp12 /Ekos tonearm feeding a hybrid valve phono stage into the valve pre which is switchable between the Naim pre/hicap.
The analogue still sounds great but the digital is Definately catching up!
Once again, thank you all for your interesting posts!
There are bugger all ES fans here in New Zealand.
Guess the whole country has the population of an average city out there in rest of the world.
Makes access to product very difficult and expensive.
Anyway it's a bloody great distraction to all that's going on at the moment.
Keep strong, fit, well n happy!
Cheers! Tony.

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #20,975 of 25,558

Would you possibly be able to provide your impression, for that sound performance, for that Sirius amplifier, in comparison for those STAX amplifiers that you would possess?

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #20,977 of 25,558
Would you possibly be able to provide your impression, for that sound performance, for that Sirius amplifier, in comparison for those STAX amplifiers that you would possess?
That SIRIUS V9 is quite more powerful, as it has higher voltage rails and has 1.500V peak voltage stator-stator and a much higher bias current (about 2-3x of a STAX amp). The stage is much wider and deeper, it shows no clipping at all (had that with STAX amps), has crystal clar mids and highs and a powerful well structured bass. Even very complex musical situations are handled very well and each instrument then gets still separated well (Mahler sinfonies for instance). I listen to Jazz, Rock, R+B, Classic (in that order) mainly and I'm quite a "happy camper" with it, the SIRIUS seing daily use while the my other Stay amps (3 stationary + 2 mobile ones) are idle, except the SRM-T1 (CCS/ECC99) which I use from time to time when "tube sound" is wanted. Andreas Rauenbuehler (who designed and built it) let me have it for 14 days to test and I kept it after that period! I may even get one of his hybrid amps, too, possibly in the near future...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #20,978 of 25,558
That SIRIUS V9 is quite more powerful, as it has higher voltage rails and has 1.500V peak voltage stator-stator and a much higher bias current (about 2-3x of a STAX amp). The stage is much wider and deeper, it shows no clipping at all (had that with STAX amps), has crystal clar mids and highs and a powerful well structured bass. Even very complex musical situations are handled very well and each instrument then gets still separated well (Mahler sinfonies for instance). I listen to Jazz, Rock, R+B, Classic (in that order) mainly and I'm quite a "happy camper" with it, the SIRIUS seing daily use while the my other Stay amps (3 stationary + 2 mobile ones) are idle, except the SRM-T1 (CCS/ECC99) which I use from time to time when "tube sound" is wanted. Andreas Rauenbuehler (who designed and built it) let me have it for 14 days to test and I kept it after that period! I may even get one of his hybrid amps, too, possibly in the near future...
I really wonder how it compares to a Mjölnir Carbon CC.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #20,979 of 25,558
I really wonder how it compares to a Mjölnir Carbon CC.
Well, it also has regulated HV and LV power suppy built in with "soft start" and a rather unknown in the market "failure safe" feature which shuts down the HV within milliseconds to protect its user. It has a bit less maximum bias current, so most likely is a little powerfull than the KGSSHV CARBON, but I never missed any fast and high peak impulses or missed dynamics, on the contrary actually - but I do not listen at 100-110dB or such... :wink:

Weil du ja auch in Deutschland bist: Der Andreas schickt dir sicher gerne einen zum Probehören!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #20,980 of 25,558
Carbon's current output can be set between 18-22mA. As far as I know, Sirius V9's current output is about 15mA.

For music, The ratio of peak to average level is about 17db.(approximately) That is a factor of 50 in power, if you only need 1W for average listening, you need about 50W to handle the biggest peaks without clipping. Most Stax amps have enough power for *average listening*, Stax amps will run out of juice during the biggest peaks(even with the moderate peaks) and start sounding mushy & compressed. The required power for average listening is WAY lower than what people believe, however the amount of power the biggest peaks ask for is way higher than what they believe too. That is one of the biggest reasons why Carbon(insert another powerful amp) sounds better than Stax amps especially with classical music where they are sudden, huge peaks in music. Also, SicFet transistors used in Carbon clips softer(almost like tubes), that is also a plus.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #20,981 of 25,558
Carbon's current output can be set between 18-22mA. As far as I know, Sirius V9's current output is about 15mA.

For music, The ratio of peak to average level is about 17db.(approximately) That is a factor of 50 in power, if you only need 1W for average listening, you need about 50W to handle the biggest peaks without clipping. Most Stax amps have enough power for *average listening*, Stax amps will run out of juice during the biggest(even with the moderate peaks) and start sounding mushy & compressed. The required power for average listening is WAY lower than what people believe, however the amount of power the biggest peaks ask for is way higher than what they believe too. That is one of the biggest reasons why Carbon(insert another powerful amp) sounds better than Stax amps especially with classical music where they are sudden, huge peaks in music. Also, SicFet transistors used in Carbon clips softer(almost like tubes), that is also a plus.
That should be correct, I also read about the 15mA rating for the output stages of the SIRIUS V9.

Indeed, this is my listening experience also, especially with classical music when there are very loud and complex passages with many instruments; hence why I mentioned Mahler sinfonies. Hardly any of my STAX amps can handly these without having a mushy sound and losing instrument separation. The CCS/ECC99 modded SRM-T1 does rather well in those situations too, but not as good as the SIRIUS V9!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #20,982 of 25,558
That should be correct, I also read about the 15mA rating for the output stages of the SIRIUS V9.

Indeed, this is my listening experience also, especially with classical music when there are very loud and complex passages with many instruments; hence why I mentioned Mahler sinfonies. Hardly any of my STAX amps can handly these without having a mushy sound and losing instrument separation. The CCS/ECC99 modded SRM-T1 does rather well in those situations too, but not as good as the SIRIUS V9!
Thank you, for providing that impression, for that sound performance, for that Sirius amplifier.

I would hope for you to be able to listen for those hybrid amplifiers, within some point, within the future.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #20,983 of 25,558
Thank you, for providing that impression, for that sound performance, for that Sirius amplifier.

I would hope for you to be able to listen for those hybrid amplifiers, within some point, within the future.
Already 1st in line for the forthcoming new version of his hybrid amp!!

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #20,984 of 25,558
its one of the prototype which airbow made around 2012 I believe the mod consist of changing the inner wire to Diatone 7N hybrid from the connector to driver and it absolutely makes not much of a different not to mention the HD800S is still better. Unlike their Stax modded amp which is good, this didn't went well and they sold their prototype on ippinkan shop. The only reason I buy it is because it was 120000yen back then and 120000yen is quite cheap for any hd800 back in 2012.

In fact I highly question their modded headphone make a day and night different like how they mention in the description of this Airbow modded STAX SRSC21 below
https://www.ippinkan.co.jp/airbow/product/headphone/srsc21_11.html

Airbow SC-1 already sounds astonishing with their driver and power supply (the latter does make a noticeable improvement too).

Sadly, getting SC-21 is pretty much impossible, and their supposedly latest [announced] SR-507 Special seems to never have arrived to market at all.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #20,985 of 25,558
..... would like to ask the local electrician to mod my srm-727A in the next few days.

I don't have much knowledge about this and would like him to follow your suggestion which is putting the toggle switch between global feedback and non-feedback.
The question is: Where should the toggle switch be located in the AMP? (And any things I should tell him extra about this?)

I took my own advise and added the toggle switches to the cards in my 727. It worked out ok but was a bit more involved than I expected.

miniature toggles, rated to 6A/125AC, 3A/250v AC, mounted to L bracket,
L bracket bolted to the red heatsink mounting holes.
300k Caddock chip resistors (rated to 300v RMS).
wires are teflon insulated rated to 600v.
IMG_0298 c.jpg

levers toward "1" = 717 = global
IMG_0302 c.jpg

details are in the "727 mod notes" thread in the DIY section.

impressions, feedback style, global vs non-global (717 style vs stock 727 ), driving sr007
similar to the impressions from my experiments done on my KGSS (which also have the feedback switchs), though to a lesser degree.
-- "717/global" mode offers more defined bass; the sound a bit more closed-in but also more focused. Has a slight "sheen" feel to it. To me the vocal is less emotionally involving.
-- "727/non-global" mode: slightly larger stage; more lay back; more smooth, vocal more involving, I can get absorbed into the song better; the bass control is not that great. for example, in Eva Cassidy's Night Bird (from the night bird album) there is a lot of low bass. In 727 mode the bass is a wooly mess at times; in 717 mode the bass definition is quite ok.

The downside of "717/global" mode ---- no as absorbing, easier for my attention to drift away.

which style to pick: a trade-off, no pure gain. It depends on personal preference. When driving sr007 I'd lean toward the global/spritzer-mod mode a little more, as it cleans up the bass, and the "sheen" is not that obvious. When using ESP950 (brighter than sr007) I'd pick the 727/non-global mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back