The Stax Thread III
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #20,056 of 25,523
I read that there are ways to improve the bass on the Lambda earspeakers, at least the current production ones. One of them is by swapping the factory earpads with aftermarket ones (eg: Vesper audio), and the other is by doing the blu-tak or fun-tak mod, which means opening up the earcups and putting a ring made out of that adhesive dough or plasticine to create a seal, thus more resonance.
What's your take on those mods?
PS: I can't seem to find Loctite fun-tak where I live, but there are the Patafix by UHU. They appear to be, basically, the same stuff: adhesive platicine that doesn't harden like epoxi-based doughs do, thus can be used several times.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #20,061 of 25,523
On that same online marketplace from my country, one guys for a couple of years now has been trying to sell a vintage STAX combo: SR-X Mark III earspeakers and SRD-7 energizer.
I was tempted a couple of times, but the main turn off is the SRD-7 which requires either a receiver or a dedicated speaker amp.
I would only need the SR-X, because I can plug them to the SRM-353X I ordered.

Isn't the SRM-353X pro-bias only? The SR-X Mark III has the 6-pin connector and requires the lower voltage "normal" bias.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #20,062 of 25,523
Isn't the SRM-353X pro-bias only? The SR-X Mark III has the 6-pin connector and requires the lower voltage "normal" bias.
Lemme check...Yeah, you're right. Both outputs on the 353X are for 5 pin plugs. There's also the SR-X Mark III Pro, which has a 5-pin pro-bias connector.
Well, it's a shame. For that money I can get a better DAC.
I'm new into the Stax world, and the devil is in the details.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #20,063 of 25,523
Lemme check...Yeah, you're right. Both outputs on the 353X are for 5 pin plugs. There's also the SR-X Mark III Pro, which has a 6-pin pro-bias connector.
Well, it's a shame. For that money I can get a better DAC.
I'm new into the Stax world, and the devil is in the details.
I think the SR-X Mark III Pro is a pretty rare duck. I haven't heard it, but I've owned the non-pro since buying it new in 1978. Getting a Lambda Pro of some type would probably be much easier, sound better, and be a better value. Will sound somewhat different than the current L-xxx models. And they work with amps that aren't so old and flakey.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #20,064 of 25,523
I think the SR-X Mark III Pro is a pretty rare duck. I haven't heard it, but I've owned the non-pro since buying it new in 1978. Getting a Lambda Pro of some type would probably be much easier, sound better, and be a better value. Will sound somewhat different than the current L-xxx models. And they work with amps that aren't so old and flakey.
I already got a brand new L700 Mk II, so getting an older Lambda won't make much sense. Maybe if I had much more money I would go for those SR-X Mark III plus a receiver with enough watts per channel to power them, or get myself a dedicated speaker amp, tube or solid state.
Not now, like I said before, a better DAC will be a much better investment. Also, I have bad luck second hand appliances and electronic devices.
Still, thanks for pointing that out for me.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #20,066 of 25,523
I already got a brand new L700 Mk II, so getting an older Lambda won't make much sense. Maybe if I had much more money I would go for those SR-X Mark III plus a receiver with enough watts per channel to power them, or get myself a dedicated speaker amp, tube or solid state.
Not now, like I said before, a better DAC will be a much better investment. Also, I have bad luck second hand appliances and electronic devices.
Still, thanks for pointing that out for me.
Well, most likely you're going to upgrade the DAC, and most likely you will ALSO acquire more headphones.

So it's not an either/or here ... it's a question of relative timing and which happens first. In your shoes I'd go DAC next.

That said, I don't exactly follow some of your thinking. The SR-X Mark III Pro came out in 1985, it's older than most Lambdas, and it'd be highly unlikely to be untouched NOS, so it's going to be used too. Due to its rarity, it's not going to be real cheap. It probably would sound MORE different from your L700 MkII than a lambda would, but unless you've done a thunderdome challenge, you can't be 100% sure that you actually prefer the sound of the L700 you have over a lambda ... some people prefer the older lambdas. And there's tons of lambdas still in circulation, so when you can find those not paired with an amp, the prices make the experiment a tolerable risk.

I'm not trying to push you hard. But if you like the Stax sound, don't arbitrarily rule out the possibility of adding an older Lambda to your headphone/earspeaker portfolio ... someday. HTH.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #20,067 of 25,523
Well, most likely you're going to upgrade the DAC, and most likely you will ALSO acquire more headphones.

So it's not an either/or here ... it's a question of relative timing and which happens first. In your shoes I'd go DAC next.

That said, I don't exactly follow some of your thinking. The SR-X Mark III Pro came out in 1985, it's older than most Lambdas, and it'd be highly unlikely to be untouched NOS, so it's going to be used too. Due to its rarity, it's not going to be real cheap. It probably would sound MORE different from your L700 MkII than a lambda would, but unless you've done a thunderdome challenge, you can't be 100% sure that you actually prefer the sound of the L700 you have over a lambda ... some people prefer the older lambdas. And there's tons of lambdas still in circulation, so when you can find those not paired with an amp, the prices make the experiment a tolerable risk.

I'm not trying to push you hard. But if you like the Stax sound, don't arbitrarily rule out the possibility of adding an older Lambda to your headphone/earspeaker portfolio ... someday. HTH.
Abso-bloody-lutely, mate. The one that this local guy is selling is a regular SR-X Mark III and SRD-7, normal bias, 6-pin. I never expected it to be NOS, but they look well preserved, the SRD has some minor scuff marks, but otherwise it looks quite in good shape. Other guy was selling an SR-5 Gold with, IIRC, an SRD-5, but either he sold it or just gave up and kept the units.
Some people told me that the SR-X sounds more laid back than the L700.
The funny thing is that, right now, I don't know how my L700Mk II sounds because the energizer will arrive, if everything goes well, this Friday.
My only limiter is money, I would love to own that SR-X Mk III and SRD-7 combo plus either a speaker amp or receiver (the current owner said to me that something like a vintage Marantz receiver with enough watts per channel will do). The same goes for other DACs, headphones.
Living in a third world country kinda has its advantages. Most people won't fork the equivalent in our currency to 1000+ US dollars on some weird, used earspeakers (we can't even call them headphones), that requires a speaker amp. Most people here listen to music on their mobile phones or those god-forsaken, portable bluetooth speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #20,068 of 25,523
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c893762263

~$2.2k for a brand new 007mk1, whoever won is feeling pretty good i imagine
The earspeaker looks like new condition. But that box looks ravaged to say the least.
Also to confuse matter that a later version of the 007mk1.

There are actually 3 version of 007mk1, earliest one came with a carbon fibre case (not real carbon fibre vinyl skin crap) serial early 70XXX
Later ones with high serial 7XXXX came with the standard case. Then the later Mk1 came with serial SZ1###

I hunted one down for like 3 years for the carbon fibre case, only to find that it fake. Made my blood boiled.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #20,070 of 25,523
And now Stax has discontinued the SRM-353X.
I quite liked it when I listened to it with a SR-009S in a shop once.

I am eagerly waiting for the new products that will hopefully be presented sometime by Stax.
The new Stax Omega?
Really, do you have a source that states so?
The 353XBK is no longer in production because it was a special edition for the 80th anniversary of STAX.
The other one that is discontinued is the 323S, which is the predecessor of the 353X. They looks pretty much the same, 'cept that the 53X has balanced ins and a manual selector to switch from XLR to RCA in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back