The Stax Thread III
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #20,086 of 25,541
I don't remember them sounding different last time I tested them. But that was before I got the KGSSHV.
When I get the chance the test them. I will let you know. Been super busy with my 1 year old son.
In the mean time here more info on the lines of SR-007

I'll quote one of the Stax Mafia here:

SR-007 Mk1 early version - different driver frame plus some minor material changes, older style carbon fiber box.
SR-007 Mk1 late version - the version tested here and the most common of the Mk1's, S/N either 7xxxx or SZ1-xxxx

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ2-xxxx, Stax change the earpads, how they sit and introduce a port to the earcups. Sound is a mixed bag depending on fit but can be fixed to sound pretty much like the Mk1.

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ3-xxxx, often called the Mk2.5, Stax supposedly change the diaphragm which results in a much more forward sound signature.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #20,087 of 25,541
If I’m going to heap praise it will be on people that make the effort to develop and enhance the field and even openly release the technical drawings for others to peer review, use and develop further and then remain open to discussion for the benefit of the entire community.

so yes, I’m a “fan” of pioneers like that and proud of showing my support for people that do that.

Especially considering the disgraceful stuff some others get up to to take advantage of those less in the know and to get rich off their backs.

Anyway, jealousy will poison your mind, let it go... 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #20,088 of 25,541
I don't remember them sounding different last time I tested them. But that was before I got the KGSSHV.
When I get the chance the test them. I will let you know. Been super busy with my 1 year old son.

SR-007 Mk1 early version - different driver frame plus some minor material changes, older style carbon fiber box.
SR-007 Mk1 late version - the version tested here and the most common of the Mk1's, S/N either 7xxxx or SZ1-xxxx

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ2-xxxx, Stax change the earpads, how they sit and introduce a port to the earcups. Sound is a mixed bag depending on fit but can be fixed to sound pretty much like the Mk1.

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ3-xxxx, often called the Mk2.5, Stax supposedly change the diaphragm which results in a much more forward sound signature.
Isn’t there a later version of the mk2 dubbed the mk2.9 which resolved many of the issues of the 2.5?

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #20,091 of 25,541
I prefer 007 mk 2.9 without metal springs(& port modded) over other 007 variants. After getting rid of metal springs, I can hear significant amount of more detail especially in treble range and bringing ears closer to the driver fixes 900-1300hz peak of 007. The initial goal of spring mod is to bring ears closer to drivers, taking those metal springs out just brings it to next level. If you are into experimenting new stuff and if you have a lot of experience in changing 007 pads, I'd recommend you guys to give it a try. Make sure to use a credit card or something flat to fit pads properly onto the headphone assembly or sub bass can get a bit wonky. I've tried this with mk 2.9 pads.(mk 2.5 pads are different, results may be different). With my previous ESS dac this mod was making my headphones sound too bright and even sibilant but with Soekris 2541 everything sounds fine to my ears.
IMG_20210309_082109_HDR.jpg

I am not sure I feel like I can also hear more in 2-7khz range after this mod which is slightly recessed with mk 2.9. Probably taking metal springs out brings some problems as well, however with my dumb ears I can't really put my finger on what the problem might be without metal springs if there is any. I can only hear improvements. Note that, after this mod it's not possible to swirl pads around.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #20,092 of 25,541

I am not certain that what that person had stated is correct. It has appeared to me that all of the sets of SR-007As possess a serial number that begins with SZ2, and that all of the sets of SR-007MK2s possess a serial number that begins with SZ3.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #20,095 of 25,541
I prefer 007 mk 2.9 without metal springs(& port modded) over other 007 variants. After getting rid of metal springs, I can hear significant amount of more detail especially in treble range and bringing ears closer to the driver fixes 900-1300hz peak of 007. The initial goal of spring mod is to bring ears closer to drivers, taking those metal springs out just brings it to next level. If you are into experimenting new stuff and if you have a lot of experience in changing 007 pads, I'd recommend you guys to give it a try. Make sure to use a credit card or something flat to fit pads properly onto the headphone assembly or sub bass can get a bit wonky. I've tried this with mk 2.9 pads.(mk 2.5 pads are different, results may be different). With my previous ESS dac this mod was making my headphones sound too bright and even sibilant but with Soekris 2541 everything sounds fine to my ears.
IMG_20210309_082109_HDR.jpg

I am not sure I feel like I can also hear more in 2-7khz range after this mod which is slightly recessed with mk 2.9. Probably taking metal springs out brings some problems as well, however with my dumb ears I can't really put my finger on what the problem might be without metal springs if there is any. I can only hear improvements. Note that, after this mod it's not possible to swirl pads around.
this is interesting, I will try to take out the metal spring on my 007Mk1 tonight hope it really make a different, but again I will need the patient of a saint to put the pads back on.

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #20,096 of 25,541
Hello, I have been longing to buy a STAX headphone. Currently I am using Focal Utopia and T1.
I am looking for a STAX model that can better than Focal Utopia, so this a upgrade for me.
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #20,097 of 25,541
So I did - finally - port mod the 007A, and yes it did improve the bass, and improve clarity overall. Before, I felt like the original 007 outresolved the 007A by a noticeable margin, but the port mod clears things up a bit in the mids and now they sound about equal in resolution, though this is just first impressions. The bass is now very impressive, linear, deep, and very tactile. I don't really hear any downsides to doing this, so it's very much recommended. The mod takes all of 5 minutes to do, and then another 20 minutes of loud swearing while you try to put the pads back on.

The main issue I have now is that the headband elastics are way too short, and keep pulling the headphones upwards and out of position. Given how incredibly sensitive the 007 is to positioning in general, it's extremely annoying and pretty much requires me to hold these in place with my hands while listening. So the next step is to try and extend the elastics, probably by sewing some sort of material to them to lengthen them a bit. I expect I'll need a few tries to get it right. On that note, if you ever changed the headband strap out on a 007 - what sort of adhesive do you use to hold the headband elastics to the plastic?

Haven't messed with the springs, but when the headband gets sorted, that might be next. Though you can also simulate some of that by just bending the headband to apply more clamping force.

I don't get why Stax absolutely cannot get their ergonomics straight after decades, but maybe they did with the 009, I haven't tried one. But they need to revise their earlier models... If only the 007A had a proper adjustable headband and fixed its bass port shenanigans. If only it had midrange tembre like my EQd L700. And if only the L700 had bass like the 007A, or didn't vice clamp my ears to death after 15 minutes, or require aftermarket headband pieces to fit on my head at all. There's so much potential in there and the technical performance is quite unlike anything else, but the lack of polish on seemingly all their products is really annoying.

Oh, and I'm guessing the discontinued earlier amps will be replaced by something very similar, given how they've operated over the last 20-odd years.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #20,098 of 25,541
this is interesting, I will try to take out the metal spring on my 007Mk1 tonight hope it really make a different, but again I will need the patient of a saint to put the pads back on.
MkI's drivers are close enough to the ear. (MKI metal springs are 2cm wider in diameter than mk2.5/2.9 metal springs. ) Probably there won't be much audible difference. Let us know about your experience after you apply the mod though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back