The Stax Thread III
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #19,996 of 25,560
I made a special trip to Fujiya Avic when in Tokyo a couple of years ago. The store was not as big as I thought but the staff was very nice.
yea, in fact e-earphone or tereon is much bigger, however, fujiya avic and dynamicaudio tend to have more high-end stuff.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #19,997 of 25,560
Hello everyone. After a disappointing experience with the Koss 95X, (sound signature was way too dark for my taste and I refused to use EQ, on top of that one of the drivers died after a few hours of use) I ended up recovering the money and using it to fund some Stax, as I've never heard any Stax yet.

I started by looking to purchase the energizer, I was recommended the SRD-7 MK2 (pro bias) so that is what I bought.

The thing is, it came together with a pair of Lambda Pro Classic, which aren't in the best cosmetic condition, but the seller confirmed they work perfectly.

And my question is... are those Lambda Pro Classic even worth my time? Are they any good? I paid a little bit more than 300€ for the combo.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #19,998 of 25,560
https://stax.co.jp/products/srm-500t/

SRM-500T_main.jpg
SRM-500T_internal.jpg

New valve energiser coming March 22nd, or was I just not paying attention?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #20,000 of 25,560
Hello everyone. After a disappointing experience with the Koss 95X, (sound signature was way too dark for my taste and I refused to use EQ, on top of that one of the drivers died after a few hours of use) I ended up recovering the money and using it to fund some Stax, as I've never heard any Stax yet.

I started by looking to purchase the energizer, I was recommended the SRD-7 MK2 (pro bias) so that is what I bought.

The thing is, it came together with a pair of Lambda Pro Classic, which aren't in the best cosmetic condition, but the seller confirmed they work perfectly.

And my question is... are those Lambda Pro Classic even worth my time? Are they any good? I paid a little bit more than 300€ for the combo.
Not sure I understand the question, if it was included in the package and you like it you keep it, if you don’t sell it or gift it forward. Win

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #20,002 of 25,560

Not sure what your opinion of reviews is but here’s one from stereophile that considers them highly.

https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/stax_sr-lambda_pro_classic_headphones/index.html

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #20,003 of 25,560
Lambda pro is considered(and I agree) as one of the best examples of lambda series, assuming It's in a good working condition.
Right but this is the 10 year "anniversary" lambda pro, not the original lambda pro. Named lambda pro Classic or Spirit in Japan. It's basically the same design but cheaper, from what I've been told. So it won't sound the same either.

Not sure what your opinion of reviews is but here’s one from stereophile that considers them highly.

https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/stax_sr-lambda_pro_classic_headphones/index.html
Yes, that is the only review I managed to find on them, even when looking by the japanese name "spirit"...

They're not in great shape, which I think will make them a hard sell if I don't like them, considering these aren't too popular at all.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #20,004 of 25,560
Right but this is the 10 year "anniversary" lambda pro, not the original lambda pro. Named lambda pro Classic or Spirit in Japan. It's basically the same design but cheaper, from what I've been told. So it won't sound the same either.

Yes, that is the only review I managed to find on them, even when looking by the japanese name "spirit"...

They're not in great shape, which I think will make them a hard sell if I don't like them, considering these aren't too popular at all.
Keep them if you like them or gift them. Shame to bin them.

maybe a budding audiophile in the family would gain from them. Have you listened to them? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #20,005 of 25,560
Keep them if you like them or gift them. Shame to bin them.

maybe a budding audiophile in the family would gain from them. Have you listened to them? What are your thoughts?

I'm still waiting for them to arrive... probably will take 2 weeks... I'm really impatient hehe.

The thing is that I initially wanted some 404's (I think those would suit my tastes, but I've never heard any stax yet) and I only learned about these "pro classic" or "spirit" when I bought them with the energizer I planned to use with the 404. And since I didn't find much info I wanted to ask here.

But we'll see! I'm excited. Maybe they're not bad.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #20,006 of 25,560
https://stax.co.jp/products/srm-500t/

New valve energiser coming March 22nd, or was I just not paying attention?

looks like another rev of the classic T1 at a pretty reasonable price very nice

they were not selling the 006tS in America cause of some regulations so hopefully this sorts that out

looks like yet another reason for me to go and grab a 009 (anyone know if you can still get the 009 from Japan for around $2500 new still?)

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #20,007 of 25,560
I'm still waiting for them to arrive... probably will take 2 weeks... I'm really impatient hehe.

The thing is that I initially wanted some 404's (I think those would suit my tastes, but I've never heard any stax yet) and I only learned about these "pro classic" or "spirit" when I bought them with the energizer I planned to use with the 404. And since I didn't find much info I wanted to ask here.

But we'll see! I'm excited. Maybe they're not bad.
Sorry thought the package had arrived already. Let us know how they sound when they arrive, who knows, you may end up keeping them. They had good reviews at the time (not that that is always a good indication).

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #20,008 of 25,560
i feel like the sonic differences between amps and dacs are much more pronounced with louder listening volumes and nigh-indiscernible at softer volumes, but this doesn't seem to be brought up very often when discussing the matter. is this just me or is this already such a well-known fact that it's left unsaid?

for example, i rarely ever heard major differences between solid state regular headphone amps, despite many assertions to the contrary, but recently with the music turned up it's becoming apparent that there are noticeable sonic differences. i've also heard dac differences that i feel confident spotting in a blind test that i didn't notice prior to turning the volume up, and i believe the dacs have a similar line out voltage so i don't think there would be much question of improper volume matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back