The Stax Thread III
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #19,831 of 25,522
If you own a 717/727/007t and are happy with the performance they offer, then any of those amps can be endgame. For most of us, this hobby is about achieving the highest performance possible within a specific budget. Purchasing a KGSS/HV/Carbon/BHSE/T2 should not be seen as a requirement, but rather an option for those who have the financial ability and the desire for improved performance. I was impressed with the 007's out of the 717, and I could have happily ended things there. However, I could afford to upgrade, and I enjoyed the 007's enough to justify an upgrade. I feel it was a wise decision, but an equally wise decision would have been to keep using the 717.

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #19,832 of 25,522
I'm very interested in a transformer. I'm so curious to hear what some of my speaker amps sound like powering my Stax. both my current energizers are hybrid tube and I'm wondering if I should get a SS amp or try a transformer. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Woo, iFI, Mjölnir, or AudioValve?

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #19,833 of 25,522
I'm very interested in a transformer. I'm so curious to hear what some of my speaker amps sound like powering my Stax. both my current energizers are hybrid tube and I'm wondering if I should get a SS amp or try a transformer. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Woo, iFI, Mjölnir, or AudioValve?
The Woo Audio Wee has a ton of design and build quality issues.

The audiovalve vertos are rare and kind of unobtainable unless you buy one brand new and import it. I don't think they make many though so there might be a wait.

I'm not sure about the Ifi IESL, maybe it's good but it's very expensive.

Your best bet is to just grab one of the Mjolnir audio ones. Those are basically modified versions of the old Stax units.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #19,835 of 25,522
Hello all, I‘m thinking about buying a Stax L700 MKII and a Rega Planar 8 and Rega Aria phonostage. It will be my only music system and I listen to vinyl exclusively. I keep my records clean with a Watson record cleaner And my records aren't scratched.

Will this work or are there certain problems that I should be aware of?
Will the Stax SRM-006ts be a good energizer when it comes to synergy with the L700 MKII?

I used to own a Stax 4040 system and a CD player back then. I love the sound of Stax, but I don’t like digital at all. Back then I never had the chance to try it out with vinyl, that’s why i'm asking it here.

Kind regards, 60smusicrules

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #19,836 of 25,522
Hello all, I‘m thinking about buying a Stax L700 MKII and a Rega Planar 8 and Rega Aria phonostage. It will be my only music system and I listen to vinyl exclusively. I keep my records clean with a Watson record cleaner And my records aren't scratched.

Will this work or are there certain problems that I should be aware of?
Will the Stax SRM-006ts be a good energizer when it comes to synergy with the L700 MKII?

I used to own a Stax 4040 system and a CD player back then. I love the sound of Stax, but I don’t like digital at all. Back then I never had the chance to try it out with vinyl, that’s why i'm asking it here.

Kind regards, 60smusicrules
I'm not fond of the 006t for L700s. A 353X would be the better choice in my opinion.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #19,838 of 25,522
The Woo Audio Wee has a ton of design and build quality issues.

Can your elaborate a bit on this ? I have been using a WEE for about 5 years now, with no issues whatsoever. It is as good as the amp you are driving it with. When I first starting using the WEE I was stunned on how much better it was for my 007 MK2s, even my old SR-404s sound better...more air, more detail, can play louder volumes with ease.

The other thing about the WEE is that Woo Audio states themselves (on their website) that they don't recommend using the WEE at all with the SR-007 or SR-009 models. Anyone know the technical reason here ? Or are they trying to sell the higher priced amps ?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #19,840 of 25,522
Can your elaborate a bit on this ? I have been using a WEE for about 5 years now, with no issues whatsoever. It is as good as the amp you are driving it with. When I first starting using the WEE I was stunned on how much better it was for my 007 MK2s, even my old SR-404s sound better...more air, more detail, can play louder volumes with ease.

The other thing about the WEE is that Woo Audio states themselves (on their website) that they don't recommend using the WEE at all with the SR-007 or SR-009 models. Anyone know the technical reason here ? Or are they trying to sell the higher priced amps ?

Thanks
I have read several criticisms of woo products due to apparent “sloppy” internal wiring and poor internal build philosophy with pictures to support this on “the other forum” but have never owned one myself so cannot say first hand one way or the other.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #19,841 of 25,522
Woo wee, supposedly, does not have ballast resistors to protect the diaphragm of your headphones from frying. I don't know if they added ballast resistors to their later models.

Transformer boxes are better for dynamics, direct drives are better for detail. Stax calls them as "energizers." To reduce parasitic capacitance, the best is to use energizers with Lundahl transformers. Schematics are available online. Those transformers are not the best choice for the task according to Birgir(that's why he custom ordered lundahl transformers for his lundahl energizers - and no, he doesn't make those trafo boxes anymore) but surely they are better than transformers Stax has used in SRD7.(I know people who tried both and It's very clear that lundahl energizers are better) I don't know what kind of transformers are used in Woo Wee. I also heard that they offer better detail than SRD7 or even Mjolnir energizers.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #19,843 of 25,522
Woo audio definitely does not use ballast resistors in their designs. I sent them an email asking them and they confirmed it. Not even on new units.
Because of a preference for solid state energizers, or another reason?
The 353X is just a superior amp to my ears. More power, more detail, and more control.

Thanks
They're just trying to sell their higher-priced models. There isn't anything inherently wrong with using a transformer box with the Omega series.

I know a few people who are using modded woo wee's which supposedly fixes the problem but I don't know how the mod is done.

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #19,844 of 25,522
I just bought a pair of 009S. They should be here on Wensday. Looking forward to being able to sit down with then long-term.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #19,845 of 25,522
Quick question for the wise Stax Mafia. I am thinking about getting the Stax SR-009. Where does the KGST sits in terms of ranking between KGSS Carbon, standard KGSS and the Stax made amps? I tried an SR-009 with blue hawaii years ago and it made a huge impression on me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back