The Stax Thread III
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #19,546 of 25,560
If you have experience/capability you could try checking the amp and re-caping it. I just had a 717 arrive completely recapped and upgraded and it’s the business even with 007s so if nothing else if you have the ability try opening up the 717 and at least running a diagnostic check on it. Can’t hurt and might even solve your problem
I think I can recap it because I can solder, but in terms of any real troubleshooting, no... I am not capable of that unless I have a step by step. :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #19,547 of 25,560
Hey all,

Since I had 2 pairs of sr-001 mkII, and one pair had a broken cable, I decided to get myself an sr-003 mkII cable instead, to use with full-size energisers.

It's a world of difference! the soundstage increases dramatically, it feels like they got more 'oomph', and have definitely upgraded from 'nice IEMs' to 'very good headphones, period.' I should also mention that I use the ET-A1 ear tips, which makes them super comfortable (at the moment i've worn them 12 hours straight)

I have 2 setups where I run them on, namely my Teac UD-501 > ED-1 pro > srm323s, and for the bedroom FiiO M11 pro > SRD-X pro

Apart from that i've also acquired a second Lambda pro, which might be my favourite stax of the ones i have, and have tried. SR-507 being a close second.

My SR-Sigma pro has not been in use, ever really. I get why people like it, but I much rather prefer the directness of the lambdas.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #19,548 of 25,560
I think I can recap it because I can solder, but in terms of any real troubleshooting, no... I am not capable of that unless I have a step by step. :frowning2:
Can I suggest you write to @spritzer at mjolnir-audio? He may be able to help although I cannot speak for him or on his behalf. Either way try him, he’s a top rate guy and very very honest and upfront.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #19,549 of 25,560
I finally got my chance to compare the SRM-717 with a KGSSHV driving a pair of SR-007 MK1's. These are very initial impressions.

I recently acquired a pair of MK1's and have been driving them with the SRM-717 over the past week. This combination sounds quite nice, and if I didn't know any better I would be very happy with it. However, my new KGSSHV just walked in the door, and within the first 5 minutes of listening I noticed a huge improvement. In comparison, the bass from the 717 sounds fat, bloated, and muddy with a lot of bloom. The KGSSHV has better control of the lower frequencies, revealing much greater texture and resolution. The 717 makes the bass sound like a note. The KGSSHV trims the fat so to speak, allowing you to hear the actual instrument. Soundstage is also wider displaying greater separation and imaging. Overall sound is wider, more airy, more detailed while further improving the great impact and extension of the bass. Cliche as it may be, it sounds like a veil has been lifted. I now understand why the SR-007's have a reputation for sounding dark--they absolutely do with lesser amplification.

I noticed all of this almost immediately. I look forward to a proper session where I'm sure I will discover even greater improvements. Considering the SRM-717 is widely regarded as the best SS amp Stax ever made, and it leaves that much on the table, is staggering.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #19,550 of 25,560
Can I suggest you write to @spritzer at mjolnir-audio? He may be able to help although I cannot speak for him or on his behalf. Either way try him, he’s a top rate guy and very very honest and upfront.
Yes, thank you for the suggestion. He had sold me that he only repairs his own units so he was not able to help.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #19,552 of 25,560
I finally got my chance to compare the SRM-717 with a KGSSHV driving a pair of SR-007 MK1's. These are very initial impressions.

I recently acquired a pair of MK1's and have been driving them with the SRM-717 over the past week. This combination sounds quite nice, and if I didn't know any better I would be very happy with it. However, my new KGSSHV just walked in the door, and within the first 5 minutes of listening I noticed a huge improvement. In comparison, the bass from the 717 sounds fat, bloated, and muddy with a lot of bloom. The KGSSHV has better control of the lower frequencies, revealing much greater texture and resolution. The 717 makes the bass sound like a note. The KGSSHV trims the fat so to speak, allowing you to hear the actual instrument. Soundstage is also wider displaying greater separation and imaging. Overall sound is wider, more airy, more detailed while further improving the great impact and extension of the bass. Cliche as it may be, it sounds like a veil has been lifted. I now understand why the SR-007's have a reputation for sounding dark--they absolutely do with lesser amplification.

I noticed all of this almost immediately. I look forward to a proper session where I'm sure I will discover even greater improvements. Considering the SRM-717 is widely regarded as the best SS amp Stax ever made, and it leaves that much on the table, is staggering.
The 007s are quite hard to drive. To be honest I usually just tell 007 owners to get a nice little speaker amp with a standalone energizer rather than spending the big bucks on a KGSSHV or BHSE but if you can afford it then both of them are quite good. Lambdas simply don't need as much juice as Omegas. Stax's Driver units are designed for Lambdas primarily. Which is why their in house solutions have never cut it for the 007.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #19,553 of 25,560

yeah, the lower power the amp the bigger the difference. SRM-252S makes them sound super dark, with no subbass or treble extension - though the mids don't seem that bad honestly

it's pretty interesting to be honest, since i'm not one to claim huge differences between say regular headphone SS amps, but stax omega is a different beast altogether

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #19,555 of 25,560
I had a chance to take a look at the caps in my 717 and take some pics. I have a couple of observations. On three of the 4 large caps, I can feel that the tops are curved just a little. It is slight and does not show on the pics. I suppose that means they are bad if they have any rise to them at all. I am not sure of how much of a difference it makes if they are just a little curved.

I did not see any of the other small caps on the main board as being bad. I did see some staining on the board that looks like oxidation to me. It does not come off and I am assuming it is a multi-layered board and so there could be damage to the board and the circuit. Not sure how or where to check that though. I am wondering if the board is ok or not though.

As far as the two side boards, one of the caps on each board does look domed. These two seem to be the worst of the bad caps.

The unit does seem to be set up for 117V from what I could see on some of the posts.
P1000547.JPG
P1000548.JPG
P1000549.JPG
P1000550.JPG
P1000551.JPG
P1000554.JPG
P1000556.JPG

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #19,559 of 25,560
To be honest I usually just tell 007 owners to get a nice little speaker amp with a standalone energizer rather than spending the big bucks on a KGSSHV or BHSE but if you can afford it then both of them are quite good.

Hello,
Could you please let me more details about a "speaker amp with a standalone energizer" setup? How does it works and which energizer and speaker amp combo is recommended?

I have been reading this forum for a while but this is the first time I see this recommendation.
I recently bought my first Stax 009 together with a 727II amp. Based on what I hear and read on these forums my amp is the weak link in my chain.
I am thinkin about buying a KGSSHV Carbon amp in the future but it is too expensive for me right now....so if there is any other option which might sound better than a 727II I would be very interested...

Thanks,
Zsolt

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #19,560 of 25,560
Hello,
Could you please let me more details about a "speaker amp with a standalone energizer" setup? How does it works and which energizer and speaker amp combo is recommended?

I have been reading this forum for a while but this is the first time I see this recommendation.
I recently bought my first Stax 009 together with a 727II amp. Based on what I hear and read on these forums my amp is the weak link in my chain.
I am thinkin about buying a KGSSHV Carbon amp in the future but it is too expensive for me right now....so if there is any other option which might sound better than a 727II I would be very interested...

Thanks,
Zsolt
Check mjolnir audio. @spritzer has some amps he has reconditioned and modified at much lower prices than his kgsshv’s and is an honest and upfront guy. It’s where I bought mine (for the same reason as you, saving for the carbon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back