The Stax Thread III
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #18,812 of 25,558
Just want to say I just picked up an 009S and the D-10. Will post thought compared to the Campfire solaris when they're here. I have had an 009 for awhile and bet they'll be up for sale.. been using the 009 from a feedback modified 727 II.
I doubt that will be for sale because it does shine with the sr 009... and it's probably only worth 800 to 1000 anyway. When or if I make the jump for a bigger amp I'll post here if somebody would follow that, if there is somebody who's looking for a good regular modified 727-II.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #18,813 of 25,558
Was able to listen to the 009S through the LTA Z10E the other day. Sounded very pleasant although the ratchet on the volume would drive me nuts. Prefer my GG though which seemed to have more gutsy signature.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #18,814 of 25,558
First of all, I use SR007 with KGSSHV Carbon. I really like them.

I was in HQ of Denmark's STAX distributor yesterday.(to have my headphones fixed) I've tested 727A(fresh from the box) amp with my SR007's. It wasn't driving them loud enough to my taste even when the volume knob cranked all the way up. My SR007's sounded bland(like band-pass filtered), dark, bass was boomy. There was no sparkle in treble like it has while driven with Carbon. They almost sounded like 500$ dynamic headphones. I do not recommend anyone to buy 727A with 007. I think I know why now some people really find 007 bland and boring. I was surprised actually how bad my headphones could sound.

I know that there will be some who will disagree with me. I ask myself though, am I biased towards Carbon because I paid a hefty price for it? Then the audible difference was so huge that I don't even see a point in judging myself whether I was biased towards Carbon or not. At first hand, I experienced the difference again. It was unbelievable.

I don't think you're particularly biased based on this, the SR-007 is hard to drive and even a KGSS holds it back considerably compared to a Carbon or BHSE.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #18,817 of 25,558
Would you say a well driven 007 tops a well driven 009? What about those mk 1, mk 2 and mk 2.5? Which one to chose?

It doesn't top it, they're different. 007 is considerably more laid back (all versions are compared to the 009) and have a less linear bass response. 009 also has a lot more clarity, stronger macrodynamics and much more bass slam on the right system. I'm an SR-009 guy ultimately.

Honestly I don't recognize a Mk2.5, personally I only know the Mk1 and currently produced Mk2/007A (same thing, different color). Mk1 is more laid back while Mk2 has a more neutral treble response that's still more laid back than 009. Mk2 has more mid bass, Mk1 has more linear bass. I'm guessing the Mk2 with the bass port mod is the best of both worlds as far as 007's go; the Mk2's more even treble response with the more linear bass like the Mk1. I haven't heard this myself though.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #18,819 of 25,558
Would you say a well driven 007 tops a well driven 009? What about those mk 1, mk 2 and mk 2.5? Which one to chose?

009 is hands down better than the 007. But they're very different.. the 009 is far more resolving and the epitome of the typical stax sound... and possibly too bright for some. The 007 is less impressive technically, but still has great detail, imaging etc. while being darker in tone and also having a better bottom end than the 009. I think they're excellent compliments to each other and I love my MK1.. have no intentions of getting rid of it. But if I had to choose one, it would be the 009 easily.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #18,821 of 25,558
Yes I know...Some tube humor I suspect. 😉
I was being a bit cheeky with your after mod comparison to out performing the T8000 which has them.
Darn it, wasn't paying attention and got rikroll in the process. :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #18,822 of 25,558
So I unboxed and hooked up the 353X today. It is smaller and fits better on my little nightstand setup, isn't hot when on, and the plugs are way easier to unplug, so just what I wanted.

I haven't done back to back comparisons with the T1S but just going from audio memory they seem really similar in sound. Besides the fact that the 353X gets a little louder, I didn't really notice much if any difference with the L500 and 009S (maybe slightly smoother fuller mids on the T1S but then again that could just be me imagining/focusing on it, certainly not a major difference I can chalk up to being an actual difference without further comparison).

However, I did use this as an occasion to bust out the Ω again. I'll have to do back to back comparisons to be sure, but the Ω does seem a little less darker on the 353X than the T1S (beyond volume). It's still a darker signature than the 009S, but it's gotten closer what I assume my preferred tonality would be. I used to think that the timbre on the Ω was the most natural compared to the 009S (and now L500), and now it seemed even better because it wasn't as dark. Still, I'm pretty sure I prefer the 009S over the Ω after doing a bit of critical listening, It has a less realistic presentation, but it's just more enjoyable. Sort of like how the I prefer the CD3000 to the R10, the latter has the most natural timbre of any phone I've heard, but the CD3000 has a bit more sparkle on top and just better with most stuff.

Aside from the tonality differences, they're pretty similar phones. The Ω seems to have a little more diffusiveness in the soundstage/imaging whereas the 009S has more precision, though it isn't a great difference (and maybe I'm just influenced here by the darth_nut review). The 009S actually even seems a little less veiled and more transparent than the Ω as well which I find surprising, though this might be due to the Ω being darker (I don't think the 009S has any better clarity than the L500 for example, both are as good as it gets, maybe the Utopia was as good but I never got the chance to compare directly).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #18,824 of 25,558

God damm.... I just saw 2 unicorns in the wild....
They both looks like they came from the factory.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #18,825 of 25,558
Can anyone help me regarding the Stax SRM-007tll, if I were to turn the volume pot all the way to full range, would that in affect limit the volume pot signal degradation like what is done with newer SRM-700T which has a switch on the back that has the external volume bypass option? Or am I just going to introduce higher amounts of distortion? My goal here and why I’m asking is that I’d like to use the volume pot at my source rather than both volume pots, source and at the 007tll.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back