The Stax Thread III
Apr 23, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #18,451 of 25,535
dripf, I think they would say that big third party amps would drive the 007 better at even higher levels, beyond 105 db. Which, of course, no one in their right mind would do. It's like a 700 horsepower Dodge - why? To go to the mall? Bragging rights? To be "special"? And, btw, I think STAX keeps their amps modest not just for financial reasons, but unlike these aftermarket amp builders, STAX does not want to be legally liable for electrocutions, houses burning down, etc., and simply because the extra "control of the drivers" is not necessary at sane volume levels.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #18,452 of 25,535
The 007 is more sensitive than other models according to its specs. On another forum, the 007 was level matched across different amps to a quite high 105 dB. There was no difference in frequency response between 252s and 717. It's time for big amp proponents to explain the value, and in clearer terms than "controls the driver with more authority".

Actually the specified sensitivities of all the Stax headphones are quite similar at 1 kHz if you look on their website. However, if you look at their frequency responses, e.g. such as those published on InnerFidelity, the 007 is a few dB lower in the 2-4 kHz range which the ear uses to judge subjective loudness. Hence subjectively, the 007 seems to be softer for the same amp setting and people tend to turn it up to achieve the same subjective loudness, hence the impression that it is less sensitive and requires more power. Remember that the ear is not a microphone, and subjective loudness is not the same as objective dB although there is some correlation.

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #18,453 of 25,535
Sorry if this is off thread, but I was wondering if anyone remembers if there was a discount on the stax 009s last black friday? I seem to remember that being the case on staxaudio, but I can't seem to find any reference to the discounted price anywhere. Thanks!

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #18,454 of 25,535
Sorry if this is off thread, but I was wondering if anyone remembers if there was a discount on the stax 009s last black friday? I seem to remember that being the case on staxaudio, but I can't seem to find any reference to the discounted price anywhere. Thanks!
Yes, there was a discount around Black Friday at staxaudio.com. It extended into December, when I bought mine for $3,800, which is about a 15% discount over the regular price

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #18,456 of 25,535
Just purchased a Stax SRM/MK-2 on ebay seller says it is in fully working order, and one side has been converted to a Pro Bias output. I hope it does me good.

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #18,457 of 25,535
Bit of an update on the SRX Plus build :)

Amazed in one word.
Now admittedly i did a few modifications (additions mostly) to the diagram found in head-case, both in the PS and in the main unit, plus i used the best components one can get as i won't be replacing this, bit too old for "future upgrades"..
When your 'future' is now kind of a thing, only not exactly like in the movie!

Now to start off with the basics, amazed when compared to my modified T1, my two custom ES amps (and these are totally custom, my design) and amazed when listening to it with a Sigma, Signature Pro, Classics Pro or old SRs. The new 009s has yet to be in my possession, thank you COVID, so cannot say.
If, like me, you're old enough to have started with a transformer because that's all there was in the beginning, moved on to energisers and eventually 'upgraded' to dedicated amplifiers, what the 'Plus' will do is give you that signature Stax sound, only without any of the well known (amp depending) negatives basically. It really does feel like a 'T2' of an energiser, really does sum it up.
(and it being the reason i've refrained from purchasing any of the DIY amps; the more i read, the more i feel.. cautious. Improvements are great, but the character, signature if you will, is crucial for me; must not stray far from what got me into Stax in the first place. Just a personal opinion here. Put differently to avoid misunderstandings, no way i'd risk purchasing prior to critically listening to them, ie in my home, ie impossible.)
(also why i stuck with the modified T1 rather than my two own; never quite managed to keep that 'Stax signature' sound, whatever their other strengths were and they were admittedly plenty. Just didn't sound much like.. Stax anymore)

Advices three:
- Started with cheaper components during my testing and can easily guarantee you that at a cost as measly as JimL mentions, this can and will surprise you; you honestly need not look upwards in terms of amps, not unless spending is your actual hobby.
- Unless you can work on the PCB some more, tubes are really important, don't go NOS unless like me you're old enough to have unused ones and can hand-match them; go new and matched pairs.
- I'm not quite sure why there's a "copyright by Kevin Gilmore" on the PCB, it's not his and it's also not listed in Geneva, nor quite sure why the layers are offered as they are, sans the main Proteus file (ie without offering the possibility to do any modifications). You can however easily import all the layers to the software of your choosing; all you need do is rename the .txt extensions to .gbr and import them accordingly (ie top silk to top silk, etc). Sole exception being the drilling file, whose extension needs be renamed to that of your own software, ie .DRL for mine. You can then actually work on it. Probably didn't need to mention this, you'll already know, but just in case.

I'll refrain from posting detailed listening impressions for three reasons:
- Not much to say that isn't stated in head-case, except:
- It can scale up, ie it won't sound as good as it could, unless you use proper mats. Hint, don't use toroidals just because everyone else others do. For starters anyway. Albeit again, even at a basic quality level, it will surprise you.
- Reproduction source matters even more and i don't use what is.. prevalent today, so any specifics i might give are moot for most. Amps do play a slightly larger role with electrets than with dynamics as they say, true, but the basics are still the same (source, source and source). Since however i've not come here to start arguments, let's leave it at that.

I would once again wish to thank JimL for that lovely article, and Kevin Gilmore for contributing to the design further, but JimL especially.
Twice now you've helped me.. bless you :)
(nephew thanks you too, or would have had he known to, as he's now inherited the modified T1)

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #18,459 of 25,535
The reason that the PCB is copyright by Kevin Gilmore is that he designed the board, since I didn't have the software to do so.

Am not one for diplomacy admittedly, or rather the more i try at it, the worse off it gets; was attempting, cultural gap and all, to imply that there aren't any real copyright issues here and that the idea itself being another's (yours) and based on yet another's (Stax's SRX), one could modify it if so inclined; sprinkled on top somewhere, the notion that finding a copyright mention where there's none is not only suspect, but also overly restricting; as being the case when the layers are purposedully offered orphaned, sans an option to actually see the end design. May we at the least agree this cannot be accidental.

The typical issue i have, finding the balance between verbosity and succintness, with or without the diplomatic element.
To which of course one could expand, when 1+1 always equal 2, how come we've reached this state culturally, where one cannot merely state the facts.. but i did mention verbosity, didn't i :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #18,460 of 25,535
There are one or more companies in china that have taken my board files...

Then edited the silkscreen removing the part values, replacing with R#,C#,Q# etc
that don't match any known schematic

Then edited the ground plane replacing local clearance edits with global edits

Then making boards with 1 oz copper (if that)

Then selling them on ebay

Then people buy them, assemble them, and they blow up
and somehow this is now my fault.

If you like my board files, then send them to your favorite board house and have
some made, this is dirt cheap these days.

If you don't like my board files then do your own board layouts.
Because source files to gerber files are a vector to raster conversion, taking gerber files
back to source files results in some real poor quality crap.

The hack jobs I have seen on the krell ksa5 klone boards are the absolute worst of these.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #18,461 of 25,535
That was OT
eek.gif

Stax related: The origina Lucky Patcher Kodi nox l Lambda was made for mercedes benz to re-produce the low frequencies of the engines according to Darth-Nut.
Thanks. I just worked out how to find the old thread after Google decided to be unusually unhelpful.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #18,462 of 25,535
Any ideas where I might get brown earpads, headband for a sr-007 mk1? Looks like Staxusa.com no longer sells them.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #18,464 of 25,535
Does anyone have any thoughts on what solid state amp to get for the SR-009 or SR-009S? People seem quite underwhelmed with the new SRM-700S for the price. Does the SRM-353X have enough power to drive them properly? As regards tube amps - I want the amp to be neutral and, without understanding the technical side, don't like hearing about a 'warm tube sound' or similar. I will be using the headphones with a Smyth Realiser so want the minimum possible distortion. (Or is the view that modern Stax tube amps have no more distortion than solid state amps - no doubt this is asked a lot!)

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #18,465 of 25,535
Does anyone have any thoughts on what solid state amp to get for the SR-009 or SR-009S? People seem quite underwhelmed with the new SRM-700S for the price. Does the SRM-353X have enough power to drive them properly? As regards tube amps - I want the amp to be neutral and, without understanding the technical side, don't like hearing about a 'warm tube sound' or similar. I will be using the headphones with a Smyth Realiser so want the minimum possible distortion. (Or is the view that modern Stax tube amps have no more distortion than solid state amps - no doubt this is asked a lot!)
I have three solid state stax energizers that I use with my 009S: Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon (in the study), Stax drm-50 (in the bedroom), and a Stax drm-10 (for portability). Both the Carbon and drm-50 have ample power to drive the 009S, though I prefer the sound signature of the Carbon. The drm-10 is great for taking my headphones from room to room. But it's somewhat underpowered and the sound lacks the sparkle of the other two, and lacks the bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back