The Stax Thread III
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #18,331 of 25,558
Age does things to folks, so.. :)

Any alternatives for Amphenol multipin interconnects? (PS to main)
Would have sworn there was this Japanese brand, even better than Amphenol, but it's not Furutech, checked their catalogue, it's not Hirose -i think-, must be some other i can't recollect; unless i'm mistaken anyway? They also had the interlocking mechanism, i do recall that much. I think.
If i saw one, it'd probably dawn on me, but Google images haven't been of help, though it may be just me using the wrong keywords.

Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #18,333 of 25,558
Hi ! First sorry for my bad english. Is it true that Stax is working on a new SR 007-Omega, or it's just a rumor ?

According to this interview, yes, they are working on a new Omega, but they will take their time.
The SR-007 Mk3 with minor tweaks is also a possibility, but that's just speculation.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #18,334 of 25,558
I'd rather they re-released the SRX mkIII Pro, would gladly settle for that. As it was too, keep the cost down, one can always change pads and cable on their own.
Or cheaper yet, as they were cheaper back then, perhaps an equivalent of the black and gold SR5 variant.

Or maybe a new Sigma? Plenty of value there too.

Both c/would land around the 1-1.5K mark too, which is good for both sides.
Am sure they know their business best, but i don't see a new-new Omega as a priority exactly*. Used to be one could purchase both eliptical and rounded drivers' earphones without needing a fortune; and without said housings having nothing but cloth to keep them together if i may add.
I can understand a certain reluctance and need to keep things tight, previous circumstances coming to mind, but you have careful and then you have conservative without reason.
(in fairness though, only they know their sales; no idea how many Sigmas or SRs they sold back then)

* especially given the inhouse options for amplification. The first Omega, one had the option of a T2 to drive it; what is there now? A 6k's worth of a 717 (T8000 in a nutshell). Best if they focused on the lower end a bit more, or designed an amp worthy of being called 'flagship' first. Making it weirder still that they never launched the revised T2 edition, all we have is a picture.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #18,335 of 25,558
Stax need to do a lot. Their amps are stuck in the 1980s and offer really bad value for money. The Lambdas are solid buys at the price but the 1970s form factor and build quality doesn't fit in today's market, and they need to straighten out the FR too. The SR-007 performs very well... when modded, equalized, driven with a nuclear reactor and tweaked to hell and back.

All of these are pretty major issues, but the reality of running a small business - which Stax undoubtedly is - is that you never have enough people, or enough money, to do everything you need to do.

We're also in a time when dynamic headphones have become competitive with electrostatics, planar magnetics are back in a big way, and other tech is coming into the scene too. So Stax really have a lot on their plate. I hope they can do it. I'm not holding my breath.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #18,337 of 25,558
Hassle? Let us please not exaggerate, or mix the empirical with fact.
Some of the models i own are about 40years old now? Bought them myself, have not had the slightest issue with any of them, ever. There's this piece of paper inside the box, advising one to treat them as what they are, a precision instrument. If heeded, they can outlast you.
As to amps, well.. did you purchase a used one? One from the grey market? Because those bought from a local representative need only be mailed back to them and they take care of the servicing. If that isn't the case, the blame lies on the representative, not Stax. You should have contacted them and let them know if so.
Same goes with used headphones, which i see is a trend, the electrostat's extremely fragile nature notwithstanding; this is an expensive hobby, we buy new, or we accept the inherent risks thereof.
* likewise with "modding" your new headphone, because certain "someones" told you to; if doing post-purchase alterations, ie voiding your warranty is difficult for you? Why, i'd say we're on a good track, wouldn't you?

I'd also have a lot to say about the previous poster's message (stuck in the past), but in one sentence i'd state that on the contrary, i happen to wish we went back to that past. Some of the electrets they launched have yet to even be matched, let alone surpassed. And did that at prices even folks like me could afford.
If you want progress, you picked the wrong company. All they have done (success rate varying) is reiterate on said same basic principles and implementations. Expecting otherwise, today or in the future, is your (read: figuratively) fault entirely.

Should one find that a 5.5K (at minimum) headphone, that "gets real close" at that, ie not even as good, is a welcome alternative...? Why by all means go for it.

Their amp section is in need of improvement, yes, but i'm not sure if that is grasped the way i meant it to (my criteria are not the ones i typically find expressed here), or if some understand the limitations (supply, logistics, etc.) they have as both a proper company and a small one at that. Put differently, an utterly derogative dismissal is a touch excessive.

And please accept my apologies in advance for all the above, but misgivings i may happen to have set aside, i wouldn't wish to be seen as sharing such a negative mindset; saying this as i was the first to complain unfortunately :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #18,338 of 25,558
... snip ...

Their amp section is in need of improvement, yes, but i'm not sure if that is grasped the way i meant it to (my criteria are not the ones i typically find expressed here), or if some understand the limitations (supply, logistics, etc.) they have as both a proper company and a small one at that. Put differently, an utterly derogative dismissal is a touch excessive.

... snip ...

I don't have a large investment in Stax gear ... I have an SR-X Mk III I bought new in 1978 or 79, which still works well, and a rebuilt SRS-12A "integrated amp" that seems to work reasonably well ... but agree that the availability of amps for Stax is a problem.

If I were Stax mgmt, I'd try to outsource that part of the operation: license the latest design from Dr KG, and contract with a top-tier Chinese outfit to build a bunch.

The market for new Stax earspeakers would expand considerably if the logjam on matching quality amps was broken, and Stax itself probably doesn't have the bandwidth to be making significant progress on both fronts at the same time.

If I were an audio company that already has a good working relationship with a high-quality Chinese fabricator, I'd be tempted to try to cut Stax off at the pass. Seems like it'd be a relatively low risk expansion to the product line.

(My advice is free.)

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #18,339 of 25,558
You see what STAX offers. Now you want more but in what way exactly. STAX to license a Kevin Gilmore design and at what price?

I don't know how you feel about competitive amplifiers or how aware of the past you are.

Eddie Current Elektra $3500. Tanked.
Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning $4200. Tanked.
WOO BS. Incompetent. Somehow around. Severe market-value failure.
Audio Valve BS. Irrelevant.
HeadAmp BHSE $6k.

Commissioned Octave $1k-ish
Commissioned KGSSHV $2k-ish
Commissioned KGST $2k-ish
Commissioned Carbon $5k-ish
Commissioned Blue Hawaii $5k-ish
Commissioned Megatron $6-ish
Commissioned DIY T2 $10k-ish

Would you extrapolate a commercial KGSSHV retail for $4k?

Where and what would you guys want to proposition STAX to squeeze in here?

I don't see it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #18,340 of 25,558
Would you extrapolate a commercial KGSSHV retail for $4k?
That one was called the 727 (minus the global feedback mod). They retailed for a lot less than that, and 4 resistors don't make up for the difference, although the improved power supply of the "real" KGSSHV would probably drive up the price noticeably.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #18,341 of 25,558
This is what these people want. A Chinese versions of all of the above. I rather have original Staxs or a real KG amp. But hey people want this Chinese stuff.

So here it is;

KGSSHV mini clone -- $800

649527618_large_5629a6d17a945fb1ed057057bf12de73.jpg

Grounded Grid (KGPT) STAX Electrostatic Ear Amplifier - $2880

1584150167404.png

Mega STAX 009 electrostatic ear amplifier - $3800

1584150259146.png

KG STAX T2 patch SR-009 electrostatic ear amplifier - $7000

1584150297616.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #18,342 of 25,558
This is what these people want. A Chinese versions of all of the above. I rather have original Staxs or a real KG amp. But hey people want this Chinese stuff.

So here it is;

KGSSHV mini clone -- $800

649527618_large_5629a6d17a945fb1ed057057bf12de73.jpg

Grounded Grid (KGPT) STAX Electrostatic Ear Amplifier - $2880

1584150167404.png

Mega STAX 009 electrostatic ear amplifier - $3800

1584150259146.png

KG STAX T2 patch SR-009 electrostatic ear amplifier - $7000

1584150297616.png
Those above are more like scammers. Pictures don’t belong to them. It belong to other builders from the real deal. Do not fall for it

I am selling my Stax system. If anyone interested, this is one of a life time opportunity

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #18,343 of 25,558
That one was called the 727 (minus the global feedback mod). They retailed for a lot less than that, and 4 resistors don't make up for the difference, although the improved power supply of the "real" KGSSHV would probably drive up the price noticeably.

That is oversimplification. Otherwise the 727 is just a 717 minus a resistor.
Or the BHSE is just a T2 minus the input stage.

And I guess we can pretend the 727 sounded just fine without the global feedback.

Let's not cherrypick.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #18,344 of 25,558
Those above are more like scammers. Pictures don’t belong to them. It belong to other builders from the real deal. Do not fall for it

I am selling my Stax system. If anyone interested, this is one of a life time opportunity

Scammers? ... But I actually heard the clone thou. Its nice lol.

But the real question is why you leaving the Staxs game? You like something else? RAAL or something?

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #18,345 of 25,558

Ok. And realistically, for example, you would anticipate STAX offering a revised T2 for a measly $7k?
Or back to the more feasibly exampled, you would anticipate STAX offering a KGSSHV "clone" for under $1k?

As I know the costs of the T2 you exampled as it was my commission, you think far too charitably of how STAX could ever operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back