The Stax Thread III
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #18,166 of 25,674
I have to say, the only time I really truly feel the need to upgrade is when i spend time on these forums. I start reading about this that and the other thing and I start thinking I'm missing out on something. I found that when I stay away from audio websites, I tend to just enjoy my gear and not think of upgrading. lol

That’s the only reason this forum is here.

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #18,167 of 25,674
I have to say, the only time I really truly feel the need to upgrade is when i spend time on these forums. I start reading about this that and the other thing and I start thinking I'm missing out on something. I found that when I stay away from audio websites, I tend to just enjoy my gear and not think of upgrading. lol
I've just, almost, finished putting my system together. Except for one clear deficiency everything I have is (beyond) good enough. (The problem is a $10 4-pin XLR to 1/4" headphone cable adapter which I know is crap because I listened to a good one @Makahl had at our last headphone meet - but that situation will be corrected next week when my new ToneKraft headphone cable with 1/4" plug arrives.) I "am" waiting for my EtherREGEN unit to arrive after Thanksgiving; supposedly an improvement when streaming is to be had when it arrives, but that decision has been made so I'll just enjoy what I have for now.

My solution: I've finally determined to make a conscious decision to enjoy what I'm listening to rather than critiquing my system. Whenever I'm listening and start thinking about something that could be done differently, I "re-set" by reminding myself to enjoy whatever is playing at the moment. The time for wondering if I need to replace my pretty good solid-state amplifier with a tube-based one (or replace my Ether2s with MySpheres, or Raals or SR-009s) is while I'm on the Audiogon site, not while I'm in the easy chair with my headphones on!

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #18,168 of 25,674
Has anyone seen a review of the Woo 3ES? Can't find any impressions online.

Any reviews of the 3ES yet? I have STAX 009 / 009S with WES 2 and was curious if there's a noticeable improvement to consider 10+K for them. For example, the STAX SR009S is really better sounding than the 'regular' 009 and was 'worth it' to me.

Anyone own a 3ES?

Andre

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #18,169 of 25,674
The 'stax fart' noise with my SR202's has been driving me crazy lately, seems much worse in the right earspeaker. I know this happens when I get an airtight seal and then move my head. I have the SR404 leather pads. If I lift the right pad slightly to break the airtight seal, no farting! I had seen this mod before of inserting a tube to allow air pressure to equalize between inside and outside so I found some teflon tubing in various diameters. I tried the largest first and while this eliminated the fart, the bass response suffered. I then tried a smaller diameter. This smaller tubing eliminates 95-99% of the fart (I have to TRY to hear it) and not only is the bass response not diminished, it actually seems a little better. I was using the soundtrack to the movie "Interstellar" to test the bass, it has several tracks with good deep bass.

EDIT: I put the tubing through the leather pad so the corner of the pad would lay down flat. Previously I had just peeled up the corner and put the tube under the pad but this way is better. Took a while to work a hole through the leather, I first used a pin, then a couple of small drill bits pushed through by hand. Finally I trimmed around the holes with a small pointy pair of scissors.

Have the newer earspeakers (I am thinking of the L700 MK2) eliminated the farting/crinkling noise? (I see in a followup post they have).

fart_mod_1.jpg

fart_mod_2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #18,170 of 25,674
The 'stax fart' noise with my SR202's has been driving me crazy lately, seems much worse in the right earspeaker. I know this happens when I get an airtight seal and then move my head. I have the SR404 leather pads. If I lift the right pad slightly to break the airtight seal, no farting! I had seen this mod before of inserting a tube to allow air pressure to equalize between inside and outside so I found some teflon tubing in various diameters. I tried the largest first and while this eliminated the fart, the bass response suffered. I then tried a smaller diameter. This smaller tubing eliminates 95-99% of the fart (I have to TRY to hear it) and not only is the bass response not diminished, it actually seems a little better. I was using the soundtrack to the movie "Interstellar" to test the bass, it has several tracks with good deep bass.

A more elegant approach might be to carefully carve out a channel in the hard plastic so the teflon tube can lay in it and the pad sit flush. But this seems to work.

Have the newer earspeakers (I am thinking of the L700 MK2) eliminated the farting/crinkling noise?

Yes, the L series Lambdas do not "STAX fart" since the pads are not sealed like on the older Lambdas.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #18,171 of 25,674
This has probably been asked before, but there is an information overload when performing a search on the matter:

I am currently set with the following setup:

• Stax L300 ltd (unmodified)
  • Stax SRM-353x
  • SP1000 as a source
I do get marvellous results especially at this price-point, but this being a hobby I like to explore if there is more.
What I particularly like about this set is the neutral but well extended bass which growls and vibrates and never is bloated and the extremely quick and resolved highs that never get harsh or annoying. I also enjoy the weight of the mids provided by this setup.

I do, however, feel there could be more width in the soundstage which at times feels small and does not allow for pinpoint positioning of instruments.

My budget is not unlimited, but there might be room for one improvement.
Do you think I should

a.) go for a high-end solid state amplifier, e.g. the KGSSHV? The 353x drives the L300 ltd to ridiculous levels and I listen to it set to about 9 o'clock. Is there an improvement to be expected with a high end AMP?

b.) go for the SR-009. I do like me some neutral and analytical sound sometimes. Not harsh, but clear. I did enjoy the RAAL SR1R, too. But that, for now, seems unreasonable

What do you think? Is there room left to improve on my l300 ltd with another AMP?
Can my 353x handle the 009 and still perform better than the l300 ltd?
i will recommend get 009 if you can before a more expensive amp.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #18,172 of 25,674
I need some help.

I have a pair of SR-407 that just developed the channel imbalance a couple of days ago. I have not used them for about a month and just took them out to compare with the L300 Limited two days ago. They were stored on a headphone stand covered by the Stax dust cover. The sound on the left side is about 50% lower than the right side.

Is there anything I can try to fix this problem, or do I need to send them in for repair? If so is there a recommended service for Stax in the U.S.?

I did try searching on head-fi and have not found much conclusive information. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: I bought the 407 used from a head-fier two or three months ago. They were in excellent condition when I got them.

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #18,173 of 25,674
So I was port modding my new SR007's. The plastic thingy(on top of metal net) that holds the edge of metal spring in the pad assembly is broken. You see the metal net and the plastic thingy in the middle? That thing. I wonder, if anybody had this problem before and what did you come up with to solve this weird problem.

IMG_20191215_171704_1.jpg

Edit: I'll glue it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_171704_1.jpg
    IMG_20191215_171704_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #18,174 of 25,674
I need some help.

I have a pair of SR-407 that just developed the channel imbalance a couple of days ago. I have not used them for about a month and just took them out to compare with the L300 Limited two days ago. They were stored on a headphone stand covered by the Stax dust cover. The sound on the left side is about 50% lower than the right side.

Is there anything I can try to fix this problem, or do I need to send them in for repair? If so is there a recommended service for Stax in the U.S.?

I did try searching on head-fi and have not found much conclusive information. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: I bought the 407 used from a head-fier two or three months ago. They were in excellent condition when I got them.

My lambda nova sig sometimes develops a channel imbalance, but it goes away by itself. If you're feeling adventurous you could disassemble and reassemble the drivers, and hope for the best.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #18,177 of 25,674
So, I fixed my SR007(I glued that rubber thing onto the metal plate). I had port modded SR007 before. However, i didn't know the audible difference before and after the mod.

Before port mod, whole bass region was sounding as distorted/grainy as DT990.(maybe distorted isn't the right word there technically, bass was sounding blurry, grainy, it wasn't tight). In bass heavy songs there was always some background hum which was totally impossible to tolerate for me. This was bleeding into the mid range and some of the micro details were getting obscured there too. After port mod, not only in mid-range also throughout whole treble range I can pick out more micro detail now. (maybe i focus more on the music I listen right now, so this can be a placebo) I was getting depressed on how bad my new SR007s sound honestly.

When you buy a new SR007, make sure to port mod it. The difference is huge.

Also, SR007 mk2.5 is sounding very dark. If you are buying second hand, make sure to get SR007 mk2.9.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #18,179 of 25,674
I recently received my 353xBK and L300 LTD. However, I just learned about the importance of letting the energizer charge and keep charging the diaphragm. To that note, I'm wondering if the 353x has always-on bias since I'd rather not have the amp on 24/7

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back