The Stax Thread III
Jul 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #17,791 of 25,505
I am going to actively avoid that information... at least for a couple years. I am pretty damn happy with my current set up.

My review of 5 of the top stat cans will be comin soon for those interested. I do wish I coulda got my hands on an MKI but oh well.
Started reading this thread at page ~ 500 and followed your journey, can't wait to read what you made of it :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #17,792 of 25,505
Me again, still having issues with my srm-T1. Definitely not an issue with the l300 as I have now checked that it works perfectly fine with my srd-6. The right side of the amp is fine but the left just makes a continuous clicking sound that stays the same volume (maybe a relay) . Checked the bias again, the right side is still as close to 0v DC as I can get however the left dc offset is all over the place, it keeps jumping between 30ish and 140ish and no amount of turning the balance pot seems to change it.

Side note: Measuring between the positive left or right and gnd doesn't appear to measure as anything (0v DC) and doesn't change when adjusting the second pot.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: This amplifier is behaving very strangely, now it's jumping between -400 and 400 and nothing in between, and the clicking only happens occasionally, but there is no audio.

Edit edit: now the measurements for the left channel are fine but there is no audio coming through at all, I'm completely lost...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #17,793 of 25,505
my gosh, I have used the 353x with the RCA inputs since I got it but that was a mistake.
The XLR inputs make the sound open up quite a bit. Greater soundstage both in depth and width and let's not forget the (sub)bass.
Ditched the loki mini again: XLR is the only way to go with the 353x if your DAC has balanced outputs.

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #17,794 of 25,505
353x XLR vs KGSS(HV) or KGST, knowing I'm not going above '2' (= 9 'o clock).
from a consumer point of view: are either KG amps worth it? I'm pairing the amp with the sr-007mk2(.9) headphones with which I am very impressed. Based on reviews I think I prefer the 007 over the 009. I like laid-back, dark but detailed and never fatiguing. I am really wondering if a 2k euro amp will change enough, except the hype it brings. Some claim a 323/353 is a kgss or as near as possible. the 323 doesn't sport the XLR inputs and I can confirm those change the sound signature quite a lot.

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #17,795 of 25,505
@EssentialEDM not sure how much you paid for that amp or what its reputation is in the community as far as stat amps go, but I would suggest that perhaps your best method of action would be to simply replace it. If however it has some sentimental value or is hailed as an outstanding act I imagine there are a great deal of individuals in these forums that would be willing to fix it for you for a small fee. There are a lot of fantastic builders on this forum who would be more then happy to help ya out.

@arielext I really appreciate you following my journey my friend. I will be posting a detailed review of my findings between 5 of the better stat cans on the market. It has been rather overwhelming fun and in a few cases just plain infuriatingly difficult haha. I will also include a brief review of the Denafrips Terminator.

As far as your question about amps go I too asked a hell of a lot of questions about amps on this forum and others and ultimately decided on the KGSSHV Carbon and think it to be one of the best decisions I have made in audio so far. It made my previous amp, which at the time was the best I had heard, sound boring and I simply couldn't listen to it anymore and sold it. Thats my 2 cents anyway, and you can also find a number of builders here that can build that amp for you as well.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #17,796 of 25,505
Me again, still having issues with my srm-T1. Definitely not an issue with the l300 as I have now checked that it works perfectly fine with my srd-6. The right side of the amp is fine but the left just makes a continuous clicking sound that stays the same volume (maybe a relay) . Checked the bias again, the right side is still as close to 0v DC as I can get however the left dc offset is all over the place, it keeps jumping between 30ish and 140ish and no amount of turning the balance pot seems to change it.

Side note: Measuring between the positive left or right and gnd doesn't appear to measure as anything (0v DC) and doesn't change when adjusting the second pot.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: This amplifier is behaving very strangely, now it's jumping between -400 and 400 and nothing in between, and the clicking only happens occasionally, but there is no audio.

Edit edit: now the measurements for the left channel are fine but there is no audio coming through at all, I'm completely lost...

If the right channel is still working, I would try switching the output tubes and see if the problem changes channels. If so, the problem is a bad output tube which needs to be replaced. Alternatively, if you have a spare output tube (6CG7/6FQ7), just replace the left output channel tube and see if that fixes the problem - you will have to adjust the offset and balance when you change the tube.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #17,797 of 25,505
The ultimate Full-scale Desktop with Electro stat system (which is superior technology IMO), and yet transportable. Yes, I can not bring my Stax 009/009S to go with me, and I absolutely don’t want to. That would be DMP-Z1 and HD800S :wink:

46616A92-C30D-4F63-8F5F-1D62FCB47899.jpeg
1BD1AB18-5E8D-4503-BAAE-1AFD00D733EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #17,798 of 25,505
353x XLR vs KGSS(HV) or KGST, knowing I'm not going above '2' (= 9 'o clock).
from a consumer point of view: are either KG amps worth it? I'm pairing the amp with the sr-007mk2(.9) headphones with which I am very impressed. Based on reviews I think I prefer the 007 over the 009. I like laid-back, dark but detailed and never fatiguing. I am really wondering if a 2k euro amp will change enough, except the hype it brings. Some claim a 323/353 is a kgss or as near as possible. the 323 doesn't sport the XLR inputs and I can confirm those change the sound signature quite a lot.

I am not a Stax user now, but I had the 323 and the 717, the latter is better than the 353 IMO, more powerful for one. But the jump to any of the KG amps is big. I would strongly recommend doing that upgrade.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #17,800 of 25,505
my gosh, I have used the 353x with the RCA inputs since I got it but that was a mistake.
The XLR inputs make the sound open up quite a bit. Greater soundstage both in depth and width and let's not forget the (sub)bass.
Ditched the loki mini again: XLR is the only way to go with the 353x if your DAC has balanced outputs.
I think having buying 2 loki can do the trick to use it with xlr

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #17,801 of 25,505
So my electrostatic journey has moved along at a relatively insane pace. I started with an iESL, iCAN, iDSD and a pair of SR-L700's. Now I am running the KGSSHV Carbon and have a Denafrips Terminator on the way. I have the Stax SR-009, SR-009S, Hifiman Shangri-La Jr, and MrSpeakers Voce. I should have the Terminator, 009S, and Voce all within the next week or so. I am trying to decide, hopefully with some assistance from some of you fine folks, if I should go ahead and pick up the 007's too. I think it will be rather interesting to be able to try them all out on the same system back to back. I originally hadnt intended on having them all at the same time, but somehow it has worked out this way and Im gonna hold off on selling anything till Ive had a chance to hear it all together.

Just curious if you guys think the 007 offers enough of a difference to warrant its inclusion in this lineup.

Thanks
Get the 007 and keep listening for every headphone for at least 6 months, then you know what you like. it takes times to find your preferences and new preferences grow with higher gear as well, wish you good luck !

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #17,802 of 25,505
Man if you tell me there is a new stax model coming out.... Just when you think your at the end.

Any of you compared the 007 MKI and MKII? If so what are your thoughts about the differences? Thanks
I have been a SR-009 owner for quite some time now. i was wanting something of different flavor so I got a SR-007 MkI and MkII as loaners. To my taste the MkI was too dark sounding. The MkII was more in between the MkI and 009 so I bought the MkII.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back