The Stax Thread III
Feb 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #17,285 of 25,535
Besides spritzer, he lives in Iceland which has crazy import prices so it rockets his prices, so looking for something cheaper.

Also you contact Phenomenon headphones, they can build KGSSHV Carbons for relatively affordable prices. Dont know about their reputation as builders thou, but at their prices..worth a try

Feb 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #17,286 of 25,535
Brothers in headphones - I have a question.
I see there are used Stax srd-7 amps quite cheaply sold across the net. I am curious of how that thing sound comparing to my entry level SRM-252s. Will it work with my sr-l300?

So the SRD-7 is not an amp, but an adapter, which is attached to the output of a speaker amp and uses a transformer to increase the voltage output to a level which is compatible with driving an electrostatic headphone (i.e. increasing volts to tens and hundreds of volts).

The SRD-7 also supplies the bias voltage to the headphones, which is why it plugs into an AC socket. However, with the exception of the SRD-7 Pro, all the adapter units were made for "normal" bias headphones using a bias voltage around 230VDC, which are all obsolete. All the modern Stax headphones are "Pro bias" which use 580VDC bias. The difference can be seen in the headphone plug - all the normal bias headphones have a 6 pin plug, all the Pro bias headphones including your SR-L300 have a 5 pin plug. If you are into DIY you can install a Pro bias circuit in an SRD-7 box and convert one or both of the sockets to pro bias. If you do that it is a good idea to block the center pin in the jack to prevent a normal bias headphone from being accidentally plugged into a Pro bias jack. It is perfectly safe to use a Pro bias headphone in a normal bias adapter but the result will be lower output and some decrease in sound quality.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #17,287 of 25,535
Brothers in headphones - I have a question.
I see there are used Stax srd-7 amps quite cheaply sold across the net. I am curious of how that thing sound comparing to my entry level SRM-252s. Will it work with my sr-l300?
The sound depends to a certain degree on the amplifier you will use to drive the transformer box. In general it is said that the transformer box has the potential to sound more dynamic and with better bass punch, while the energizer (such as your SRM-252) will potentially sound more transparent, detailed and refined.
I haven't heard a transformer box, I'm just parroting what others have said around here plenty of times.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #17,288 of 25,535
The sound depends to a certain degree on the amplifier you will use to drive the transformer box. In general it is said that the transformer box has the potential to sound more dynamic and with better bass punch, while the energizer (such as your SRM-252) will potentially sound more transparent, detailed and refined.
I haven't heard a transformer box, I'm just parroting what others have said around here plenty of times.

Thank you for answer. I also see there is Stax srd-7 PRO version. So I assume it would work with sr-l300?
If its not an amp so it should look like that: Laptop -> DAC -> Amp -> Srd-7 Pro -> sr-l300 yep?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #17,289 of 25,535
I've heard a SRD-7 based set up before and it really depends a lot on your power amp. It definitely won't drive 007/009 properly. Far too little power. Loses the high frequencies and bass is loose. It'll probably fare better with the Lambda series but probably still require that your power amp be sufficient in output power.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #17,290 of 25,535
Has anyone here compared a L300 with L700 pads + headband vs L300 limited edition with L700 pads + headband? If so, is the limited edition worth double the price over the regular L300 if they both use L700 earpads and headband?

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #17,292 of 25,535
I've heard a SRD-7 based set up before and it really depends a lot on your power amp. It definitely won't drive 007/009 properly. Far too little power. Loses the high frequencies and bass is loose. It'll probably fare better with the Lambda series but probably still require that your power amp be sufficient in output power.
Not a problem I have Little Dot mk3 SE, it has enough power :wink:

By the way, Ifi Itube 2 just arrived to my home and first listening is going on right now!!
Change is very pleasing to me, and this little thing has many settings to play with.
So current setup is Laptop -> Aune S6 -> Ifi Itube 2 -> Stax SRM-252S -> modded Stax Sr-L300
Ifi added 'body' and impact to the sound (less/more according to different settings).
For fist time I have a feeling that maybe I catched the rabbit.

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #17,294 of 25,535
Has anyone here compared a L300 with L700 pads + headband vs L300 limited edition with L700 pads + headband? If so, is the limited edition worth double the price over the regular L300 if they both use L700 earpads and headband?

L300LE uses a different driver than the L300 with stair technology from the 009

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #17,295 of 25,535
L300LE uses a different driver than the L300 with stair technology from the 009

Right, I've read that here. I was looking for more sound comparisons from people who had heard both specifically using the L700 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back