The Stax Thread III
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #17,221 of 25,558
For a average Joe that should be 99% of people here. So, yes the 727II should be end game. And it is end game. BHSE on wrong tubes sounds awful and bright and garbage.

Again justifying a 10K setup to a Joe down the street will get you laugh out of town. And if you actually A/B them than it's just a 10% differences. No way it should be encouraged for such expense to get a useless sound of 10%

Susvara is 6k and it sound amazing from a 1980s receiver that can cost $200. Or just get a GSx-mini for $2000 which will at least still be less than 10k

And we got to stop comparing planars to electrostatic.

Electrostatic vs electrostatic
Planar vs planar
Dynamic vs Dynamic

There should be no mix and match because it's not fair.

Well, I'll go even cheaper than you. A Stax SRM-T1 with constant current output mod sounded better than an SRM-727II with global feedback mod to both myself and three friends in a direct comparison, and costs less. Is it as good as a BHSE? No, again in direct comparison - but the BHSE costs 8-10x more, so it should sound better. Is the BHSE worth it? Depends on the buyer and his/her budget. Some people are like Oscar Wilde: "I have simple tastes, I am always satisfied by the best." And others aren't.

And why shouldn't we compare planar to electrostatic to dynamic? That's what buyers do ALL THE TIME, they compare different headphones using different technologies to each other, and buy based on what sounds best and is most comfortable to them within their budget.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #17,222 of 25,558
why shouldn't we compare planar to electrostatic to dynamic

Because its unfair lol. But yes we do it all the time. And thats why I was trying to change the mindset of maybe we should not do it

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #17,223 of 25,558
Here’s the thing - I’m using an ARC CD9 source into. GG and 009S. I’ve spent a month with an Atlas Asimi interconnect which costs not far short of the price of the headphones. The improvements in sound quality were such that I had to buy one. ie cables between source and amp matter more than many folk think. And I wasn’t using cheap cable originally either.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #17,224 of 25,558
So you are justifying still for a $10,000 stax set up?

Come on man. Thats absurd! Plus the dynamic scare is another scare. Ill make my way to the dynamic amp post soon!
i’ll defend my 12k STAX setup thats sitting on myfloor because i live absurdly, apparently an ‘occupational’ hazard acquired after 40 yrs being an audiophile.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #17,226 of 25,558
I am interested to buy the following amp, it can driver stax, balanced headphone and normal speakers, he is a diy guy from former audio Japanese company. he is listing the specs in the page, could someone be kind enought to compare stax specs to a kgss or stax 353x ?
https://www.ishinolab.com/modules/doc_merchandise/original/masters/sx-3000bdg_sp.html
https://translate.google.com/transl...rchandise/original/masters/sx-3000bdg_sp.html

btw, his amp have very goods reviews
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/222143/blog/40658217/
https://ocarina-style.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-10-06

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #17,227 of 25,558
Many moons ago, when I was paying my way through grad school, I was responsible for the wine list at a very nice restaurant. Some were glad to pay for excellent wine that happened to be expensive; some could not afford that wine; and still others who could afford the expensive wine chose not to buy it. All were valid choices which is why our list offered a range of options. But, no one ever proclaimed that the excellent wine which happened to be expensive was a scam or that it was no better than the less expensive wine. Yet, in the audiophile world, such proclamations are made all the time - those who cannot "taste the difference" assume that rest of us cannot, either.

One thing we all can agree on: drink enough wine and everything sounds good. :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #17,228 of 25,558
Many moons ago, when I was paying my way through grad school, I was responsible for the wine list at a very nice restaurant. Some were glad to pay for excellent wine that happened to be expensive; some could not afford that wine; and still others who could afford the expensive wine chose not to buy it. All were valid choices which is why our list offered a range of options. But, no one ever proclaimed that the excellent wine which happened to be expensive was a scam or that it was no better than the less expensive wine. Yet, in the audiophile world, such proclamations are made all the time - those who cannot "taste the difference" assume that rest of us cannot, either.

One thing we all can agree on: drink enough wine and everything sounds good. :)
i cant hear anyone else with my phones on. ideal. dont read when listening either. my philosophy.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #17,232 of 25,558
Well, I'll go even cheaper than you. A Stax SRM-T1 with constant current output mod sounded better than an SRM-727II with global feedback mod to both myself and three friends in a direct comparison, and costs less. Is it as good as a BHSE? No, again in direct comparison - but the BHSE costs 8-10x more, so it should sound better. Is the BHSE worth it? Depends on the buyer and his/her budget. Some people are like Oscar Wilde: "I have simple tastes, I am always satisfied by the best." And others aren't.

And why shouldn't we compare planar to electrostatic to dynamic? That's what buyers do ALL THE TIME, they compare different headphones using different technologies to each other, and buy based on what sounds best and is most comfortable to them within their budget.
i agree
Joe I am

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #17,233 of 25,558
I wouldn't agree that SRM-727II is end game
At louder volume, it just doesn't properly juice the higher end Stax.

I agree with your point on volume issue of SRM-727 II, although in my case, my mild discontent (using SR-009) was more about the performance when the volume is low.

I figured this was partly due to the Alps Alpine RK potentionmeter used in the volume unit, so like some other STAX afficionados I decided to utilize the volume bypass switch ("direct switch") inside SRM-727 II and insert a pre-amp in the chain. In the end I settled with an Accuphase pre-amp, but I've read others using pre-amps from Luxman etc. with highly satisfactory result as well.

At this moment, I'm pretty happy with the system (whether loud or quiet), so I guess for me SRM-727II has turned out to be pretty good as an energizer. Of course, YMMV. :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #17,234 of 25,558
I feel driving a 009 with 727II is like fueling a Porsche with #87 gas. It will run but not optimal. When you put #93 in, the performance (horsepower) is definitely better. At what percentage? Based on the measurements, it is around 15% better. Does it worth it? Please check with all the Porsche owners and ask them what gas they put into their baby. Most of Porsche owners feel they are superior to the owners of BMW or Mercedes because their cars have better capability. But when you fuel it with cheap gas, it is almost the same as other sports cars. Then what is the point to buy a Porsche? This is the same situation when you buy 009/009S. It is one of the best headphones available in the world. Without chasing for the best and becoming an "audioholic", no one will buy 009. I highly doubt people buy 009 as the very first headphone. People have come from a good journey and read this thread right now. The choice is on everybody's hand. There is no right or wrong. But the 009 (or the Porsche) deserves better. Money matters, but the time we spend on this and the experience we have been through deserves the best. YMMV

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #17,235 of 25,558
I feel driving a 009 with 727II is like fueling a Porsche with #87 gas. It will run but not optimal. When you put #93 in, the performance (horsepower) is definitely better. At what percentage? Based on the measurements, it is around 15% better. Does it worth it? Please check with all the Porsche owners and ask them what gas they put into their baby. Most of Porsche owners feel they are superior to the owners of BMW or Mercedes because their cars have better capability. But when you fuel it with cheap gas, it is almost the same as other sports cars. Then what is the point to buy a Porsche? This is the same situation when you buy 009/009S. It is one of the best headphones available in the world. Without chasing for the best and becoming an "audioholic", no one will buy 009. I highly doubt people buy 009 as the very first headphone. People have come from a good journey and read this thread right now. The choice is on everybody's hand. There is no right or wrong. But the 009 (or the Porsche) deserves better. Money matters, but the time we spend on this and the experience we have been through deserves the best. YMMV
agree.
some stax items appear to be on sale now- including my t8000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back